Author Topic: In Photos: Check Out These 1950s Tail-Fin Cars  (Read 1619 times)

Offline corbe

In Photos: Check Out These 1950s Tail-Fin Cars
« on: July 07, 2019, 01:49:58 pm »
In Photos: Check Out These 1950s Tail-Fin Cars

John Gilbert

4 hrs ago

Tailfins on jet airplanes, badminton shuttlecocks, and fish are here to stay but as a mid-modern styling embellishment for cars fins only stuck around for a little over a decade. First as pointy little nubs and then as big fins peaking in 1959 with Cadillac producing the most iconic pair of tailfins ever. The advent of 1960 and the start of '60s-decade tailfins began to recede on '60s models and by 1961 only a few examples remained… Excepting Cadillac a longtime advocate of the tailfin.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic-cars/in-photos-check-out-these-1950s-tail-fin-cars/ar-AADQJw0?ocid=ientp#image=AADQCYa|34
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: In Photos: Check Out These 1950s Tail-Fin Cars
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 01:50:26 pm »
   Certainly brings back fond memories for me.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online berdie

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 09:35:31 pm »
Those cars are so darn distinctive. Nothing like it today.  They all look the same.

There is a commercial about a car driving up to get a kid from school and a girl being wowed by it. Not to disparage Toyota...but really?

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 09:36:22 pm »
Those cars are so darn distinctive. Nothing like it today.  They all look the same.

There is a commercial about a car driving up to get a kid from school and a girl being wowed by it. Not to disparage Toyota...but really?

:amen:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 09:36:54 pm »

Makes me wish I was older. Gorgeous cars

There’s a tail fin caddy in Green Book
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 10:00:50 pm »

Me to @corbe. My dad owned a sweet 57 Plymouth Fury.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 11:14:32 pm »
   My very first squeeze, Belinda, her Dad had one of these.  Unfortunately, I got caught playing Dr with her by her Mom.  Saw here 40 years later on my way through Louisiana, she was a nurse in a small community hospital and a Lesbian, her girlfriend wasn't too happy about us meeting up. 
   They always Fascinated me, Lesbians and Bel Airs.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 11:53:32 pm »

Indeed.

I always thought those 50s cars were gaudy, but the styles of the 60s were sleek and sharp. My personal thoughts were that cars started getting ugly when they switched to square headlights in the 70s. It took until about the 1980s (the AMC Eagle and Iacocca's K-cars) to get a design where those square headlamps actually worked.

Then came the 90s when they started to streamline things... and by the 21st century, those fuel economy standards meant that every single car ended up looking like a giant running shoe. And we wonder why sedan and coupe sales are down.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online berdie

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 08:45:27 pm »
Indeed.

I always thought those 50s cars were gaudy, but the styles of the 60s were sleek and sharp. My personal thoughts were that cars started getting ugly when they switched to square headlights in the 70s. It took until about the 1980s (the AMC Eagle and Iacocca's K-cars) to get a design where those square headlamps actually worked.

Then came the 90s when they started to streamline things... and by the 21st century, those fuel economy standards meant that every single car ended up looking like a giant running shoe. And we wonder why sedan and coupe sales are down.

Actually the 50s cars predate me. But you could tell what they were. But I will agree...most of the cars we owned were 60s and 70s...and they were beautiful!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 01:49:44 am »
They really do. Really boring.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 01:58:37 am »
No fins 1953 MG TD My first car in Dec. 1964

ultimate chick machine, very suave & debonaire, when the fad was drag racing on the Blvd.

I am pretty certain my Dad thought the low power of a Brit 4 banger sports car would prevent me from killing myself.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1953+MG+Roadster&form=IDINTS&first=1&cw=1129&ch=370

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 02:20:48 am »
When I was a youngster, I would sit on the front porch with Dad in the summer.  As a car would go by, Dad would identify it by make and model.  Eventually, I knew every car on the road.  If you weren't sure where you parked your car in a lot, I could find it for you right away. 

Today, all cars look alike.  Sometimes I can tell the make by the hood ornament, but don't ask me about the model.  This would be a problem if, say, I witnessed a hit and run.  I couldn't say what kind of car the perp was driving.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 12:44:21 pm »
When I was a youngster, I would sit on the front porch with Dad in the summer.  As a car would go by, Dad would identify it by make and model.  Eventually, I knew every car on the road.  If you weren't sure where you parked your car in a lot, I could find it for you right away. 

Today, all cars look alike.  Sometimes I can tell the make by the hood ornament, but don't ask me about the model.  This would be a problem if, say, I witnessed a hit and run.  I couldn't say what kind of car the perp was driving.
That reminds me of a game we had for long trips. There were cards with little sliding windows on them, and it was like "car bingo." If you saw, say, a Pontiac, you slid your little window thing. There's a Chevy, slide the little plastic piece. Once you got give in a row, bingo. Since we moved from NJ to California in 1962 and back to Pa in 1965, it got a lot of use along the highways. I learned to distinguish a 1954 Chevy from a 1955, even as a little girl.  :laugh:

Now, as you say, it could be a Toyoacurhyundlexchevnisskia, don't ask me for a year or model!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org