Author Topic: Gun groups sue over California law banning firearms sales to those under 21  (Read 670 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
L.A. Times  By Patrick McGreevy Jul 02, 2019

Gun-owner groups on Monday filed a federal lawsuit challenging California's new law banning the sale of firearms to people under the age of 21, arguing those 18 and over are adults with legal rights to possess pistols and rifles.

The lawsuit was filed in San Diego by groups including the Calguns Foundation and Firearms Policy Coalition, and targets state laws including one that took effect in January that raised the legal age limit for buying long guns from 18 to 21. The suit also challenges a previous law barring sales of handguns to those under 21.

“Once individuals turn 18, they are adults in the eyes of the law,” said John W. Dillon, the Carlsbad attorney representing the gun groups. “Law-abiding adults are entitled to fully exercise all of their fundamental rights, including their 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms for all lawful purposes, not just hunting or sport.”

State Sen. Anthony Portantino (D-La Cañada Flintridge) introduced the law on long guns last year after a 19-year-old gunman armed with a semiautomatic rifle killed 17 people at a Parkland, Fla., high school in February of that year.

“Like most Americans, I was horrified by recent events in Florida,” Portantino said when he introduced the bill. “As a father of a high school sophomore I can’t stop thinking about the unnecessary nightmare that this tragedy caused for the affected families. I feel it is imperative that California leads when Washington refuses to act.”

More: https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-suit-challenges-california-gun-law-20190701-story.html

Offline roamer_1

I was popping gophers with my own 22LR semiautomatic at 10 or so.
Bought my first shotgun somewhere right in there too... maybe 12... That's what I saved up for with all the gopher tails, cat tails and coyote skins I was being paid for.

I know I had a 22 pistol before high school for dispatching critters in my traps. I bought that while I was still trapping the creek that run by our place, because I didn't have a rig yet...

About the same time as my first car, I bought my first hunting rifle, so that'd be around 14/15, and a .38, and eventual Colt .45 soon after I was hunting by myself...

All of that long before I was 18.
What are people thinking?
 **nononono*