Author Topic: Family of flesh-eating bacteria victim urges caution in the water  (Read 930 times)

Offline mountaineer

Family of flesh-eating bacteria victim urges caution in the water
Jeff Himler | Tuesday, July 2, 2019 6:29 p.m.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Former Charleroi resident Carolyn “Lynn” Fleming liked to read, play word games and take trips to the beach.

Unfortunately, a June 14 visit to Coquina Beach near Bradenton, Fla., with family members visiting from Pennsylvania, proved fatal when she stumbled, fell in the water and suffered a cut on her leg that became infected with flesh-eating bacteria.

Fleming, 77, who had moved to Ellenton, Fla., a few years ago, died Thursday after antibiotics and several surgeries proved insufficient to offset the effects of the necrotizing fasciitis infection — including two strokes and septic shock.

“Her body just couldn’t take fighting it off anymore,” said her son, Wade  ...

Family members initially didn’t think the three-quarter-inch cut was serious. After they returned home to Pennsylvania, the wound became worse, swelling and continuing to bleed, and friends persuaded Lynn to get it checked at an urgent care facility, where she received antibiotics and a tetanus shot.

When she later was found unconscious on her bedroom floor, she was rushed to the hospital and was diagnosed June 17 with necrotizing fasciitis.  ...
Full story
 :thud:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Family of flesh-eating bacteria victim urges caution in the water
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 12:40:58 am »
Horrible.  You have to be careful of that bath-water warm Gulf water. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 12:54:21 am »
I've now effectively been scared off from being outside anywhere, thanks to ticks, and going in the water anywhere, thanks to parasites, bacteria and the like.  If you need me, I'll be here. Inside.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 08:15:00 pm »
Horrible.  You have to be careful of that bath-water warm Gulf water.

I agree...the water is warm in the gulf. But what I can't figure out is why all the flesh eating stuff didn't happen years ago. Immune systems depressed?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 08:43:34 pm »

I agree...the water is warm in the gulf. But what I can't figure out is why all the flesh eating stuff didn't happen years ago. Immune systems depressed?

More people? 

Offline berdie