Author Topic: First marijuana now prostitution, will N.Y. make either legal?  (Read 967 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
First marijuana and now prostitution: Will N.Y. make either legal? | Quigley
By Joan Quigley | For The Jersey JournalUpdated 8:54 AM; Today 6:07 AM
Participants hold placards reading 'Sexwork is work' during a demonstration for the rights of sex workers and prostitutes and against the criminalization of sex work, in Paris.

The lobbyists for sex workers got what they wanted, but I think it will be a very long time before sex workers themselves get what they want.

They’ve made progress in the last year or two. Notice we are now calling them sex workers instead of prostitutes or hookers, but they’re still looked down on by many people and they’re still arrested whenever they’re noticed. And that’s what they’re aiming to change.

They persuaded seven members of the New York Legislature to introduce bills in the Assembly and Senate to decriminalize sex work. Both bills already were referred to committees, but since the Legislature is adjourning for the summer, nothing will happen for a few months – except possibly some cops and clergymen having conniption fits.

Here’s what the bills would do: Make sex between consenting adults legal in almost all situations, even when the activities are arranged by a third person.

What the bills will not do: Permit sex with a minor – with penalties getting tougher as the age of a person decreases—or eliminate strict penalties for forced sex or trafficking.

I was shocked when I read the 12-page bills and checked with several attorneys to be sure my interpretation was correct. I was even more shocked to learn it was.

They repeal parts of the criminal procedure law, civil practice law, social services law, and administrative code of the City of New York, along with parts of the multiple dwelling law, public health law, real property law, and some vehicle and traffic laws.

With all those gone, just about all current prohibitions against trading sex for money would be gone. There would be no restrictions on third parties arranging sexual transactions, meaning pimps and madams could become managers or agents. There’d be no restrictions on where such transactions could take place, meaning a house or apartment shared by several tenants could become a de facto brothel.

And streetwalkers could stroll without problems. Maybe even advertise.

Previous convictions for prostitution would be vacated.

Adultery is still a crime in New York, and I don’t know how that would be changed by passage of the proposed legislation, but I’m certain it hasn’t been prosecuted in decades.

The advocates of decriminalization believe government should not interfere in any way in sexual transactions between consenting adults, and those beliefs are reflected in S6419 and A8230, the New York proposals.

Unlike Nevada, the only state in which prostitution is currently legal, no rules or regulations are proposed for New York. In Nevada sex trade can operate in only a few counties and is tightly regulated. Sex workers must show proof of good health and the places they work are inspected regularly.

Several other states have considered making changes to their anti-prostitution statutes but none has actually done it. Sex workers argue they made a career choice, rely on their trade for sustenance, and are vulnerable to trafficking and other criminal activities because they must work without police protection. They say passage of laws like the one being considered in New York will uphold their rights as workers, reduce violence and trafficking, and increase labor protections.

No one has mentioned taxing the profession yet, but you know that conversation will occur sooner or later.

The advocates mention support from the World Health Organization, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, Lambda Legal, ACLU, Legal Aid and a list of additional associations.

In New York no one has yet stepped up to lead the charge against the bills, but if you thought getting marijuana approved was a heavy lift, just watch this one!

A former Assemblywoman from Jersey City, Joan Quigley is the president and CEO of North Hudson Community Action Corp.

Submit letters to the editor and guest columns at jjletters@jjournal.com

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/06/first-marijuana-and-now-prostitution-will-ny-make-either-legal-quigley.html

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: First marijuana now prostitution, will N.Y. make either legal?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 07:52:26 pm »
I remember when Times Square had hookers and peep shows. Before Giuliani disneyfied it.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 02:53:28 am »
Would that mean Eliot Spitzer could run for office again?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 04:00:27 am »
@Gefn

The government should not have laws that control what you want to do with your body.  If two adult people want to have sex, even with money involved, it's no one's business.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 09:32:52 am »
@Victoria33

You are right on the money. If you are an adult (something that is another pet peeve of mine, is it 18 or 21? If you can join the military and vote at 18 but have to wait to drink at 21? Makes no sense to me.)

What ever two adults choose to do, as long as it’s not illegal or immoral, who cares? I’d never go to a prostitute but I’m sure if it’s the world’s oldest profession for a reason.

I really dislike nanny states. They seem akin to Big Brother or are Big Brother Lite

Bill Cipher

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 04:54:49 pm »
@Gefn

The government should not have laws that control what you want to do with your body.  If two adult people want to have sex, even with money involved, it's no one's business.

What about pimping?   NY would decriminalize pimping, too.