Author Topic: New York City declares a climate emergency  (Read 3455 times)

rangerrebew

New York City declares a climate emergency
« on: June 29, 2019, 02:05:03 pm »
It's first US city with over 1M residents to do so
By:

Scottie Andrew and Saeed Ahmed, CNN

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 11:31 AM PDT

Updated: Jun 27, 2019 11:59 AM PDT

(CNN) - New York City officials declared a climate emergency in an effort to mobilize local and national responses to stall global warming.

It's the largest city in the U.S., with over 8.62 million inhabitants.

The New York City Council passed the legislation Wednesday, calling for an immediate response to the global climate crises. The bill referenced several reports on the state of global warming and its impact, imparting that extreme weather events brought about by rising temperatures demonstrates that the planet is "too hot to be a safe environment."

https://www.ktvz.com/weather/new-york-city-declares-a-climate-emergency/1089877816

rangerrebew

Re: New York City declares a climate emergency
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 02:06:38 pm »
 :facepalm2: :3: :boring:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 06:42:00 pm »
Well if the city of New York's city council believes that reports on the state of global warming and its impact, imparting that extreme weather events brought about by rising temperatures demonstrates that the planet is "too hot to be a safe environment." I suggest they relocate their city and it's inhabitants to another planet, it would seem to be their sworn duty to do so to protect their citizens. Also just think of how much that would benefit the rest of America, nay, the Earth by removing such a huge contributor of noxious vapor and hot air.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 07:31:06 pm »
NYC caught up in it's own self-importance again.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 08:25:18 am »
So buy a chunk of Canada and move 500 miles north or so.

As if the urban heat island effect isn't part of the problem.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 08:29:49 am »
It’s been hotter than hades here. With the humidity, yuck.

I’d rather have hot with dry instead of humid.

Con Ed must be making a mint these days with everyone running air conditioning
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 08:31:00 am »
@GtHawk

Love the black lab avatar.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 12:45:12 pm »
By:

Scottie Andrew and Saeed Ahmed, CNN

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 11:31 AM PDT

Updated: Jun 27, 2019 11:59 AM PDT

(CNN) - New York City officials declared a climate emergency in an effort to mobilize local and national responses to stall global warming.

It's the largest city in the U.S., with over 8.62 million inhabitants.

The New York City Council passed the legislation Wednesday, calling for an immediate response to the global climate crises. The bill referenced several reports on the state of global warming and its impact, imparting that extreme weather events brought about by rising temperatures demonstrates that the planet is "too hot to be a safe environment."

https://www.ktvz.com/weather/new-york-city-declares-a-climate-emergency/1089877816

Prog-speak for "Give us all your money and do what we tell you to, serf!"

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 04:21:20 pm »
@GtHawk

Love the black lab avatar.
@Gefn

Thanks, I wanted to be patriotic for the fourth and it kind of looks like my Rocky when he was young.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 04:38:02 pm »
    “New York City, as the largest city in the United States, can act as a global leader by both converting to an ecologically, socially, and economically regenerative economy at emergency speed, and by organizing a transition to renewable energy and climate emergency mobilization effort.”
    ~ New York City Council, in its resolution.

Resolution

Here’s the full resolution text which the councillors, all except one who abstained, voted in favour of:

Resolution declaring a climate emergency and calling for an immediate emergency mobilization to restore a safe climate.

Resolution 864, 2019, by Council Members Kallos, Constantinides, Lander, Reynoso, Levin, Espinal, Koslowitz, Powers, Chin, Rosenthal, Barron and Rivera

Resolution: https://climateemergencydeclaration.org/new-york-city-council-declares-a-climate-emergency/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 04:40:44 pm »
Resolution contains "All Whereas's" except for this "Last Line":

Resolved, The City Council declares a climate emergency and calls for an immediate emergency mobilization to restore a safe climate.”

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 04:57:50 pm »
@Gefn

Thanks, I wanted to be patriotic for the fourth and it kind of looks like my Rocky when he was young.

@GtHawk I should change my avatar to the 4th too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 05:01:35 pm »
Shoot me, but if all these Global Climate Alarmist whackos are so scared of human impact on the planet, why don't they make like Lemmings, and........
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:14:42 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 11:18:41 pm »
Shoot me, but if all these Global Climate Alarmist whackos are so scared of human impact on the planet, why don't they make like Lemmings, and........

Because they want YOU to die, not them......

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 12:03:54 am »
This appears to be the "Whereas" that describes most of what they plan.  Since it is an emergency, they should be done with this next week.

"Whereas, A sweeping transition to clean energy systems that centers on equity and justice in their solutions is vital to our future and must include the following goals: dramatically expand existing renewable power sources and deploy new production capacity with the goal of meeting 100% of national power demand through renewable sources; build a national, energy-efficient, “smart” grid; upgrade every residential and industrial building for state-of-the-art energy efficiency, comfort and safety; eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from manufacturing, agricultural and other industries, including by investing in local-scale agriculture in communities across the country; repair and improve transportation and other infrastructure, and upgrade water infrastructure to ensure universal access to clean water; fund massive investment in the decrease of greenhouse gases; make “green” technology, industry, expertise, products and services a major export of the United States, with the aim of becoming the international leader in helping other countries become greenhouse gas neutral economies and bringing about a global transition from fossil fuels; and .."

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 12:33:06 am »
If the current Communist oligarchy that runs NYC these days remains in power, in less than 10 years gasoline and diesel fuel will be banned, along with the vehicles that run on it. If you live in NYC, it would be best to prepare for this inevitability.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 12:43:35 am »
This appears to be the "Whereas" that describes most of what they plan.  Since it is an emergency, they should be done with this next week.

"Whereas, A sweeping transition to clean energy systems that centers on equity and justice in their solutions is vital to our future and must include the following goals: dramatically expand existing renewable power sources and deploy new production capacity with the goal of meeting 100% of national power demand through renewable sources; build a national, energy-efficient, “smart” grid; upgrade every residential and industrial building for state-of-the-art energy efficiency, comfort and safety; eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from manufacturing, agricultural and other industries, including by investing in local-scale agriculture in communities across the country; repair and improve transportation and other infrastructure, and upgrade water infrastructure to ensure universal access to clean water; fund massive investment in the decrease of greenhouse gases; make “green” technology, industry, expertise, products and services a major export of the United States, with the aim of becoming the international leader in helping other countries become greenhouse gas neutral economies and bringing about a global transition from fossil fuels; and .."

They are done already. They've made  their  "Declaration" of an emergency and "Called" for an immediate mobilization.  That's all they claimed they would do.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 10:39:00 am »

THis is just another tilt at the midwest carbon exchange windmill (no pun intended).

They want to control (and to some extent already do control) the access to energy in the Northeast and profit handsomely by doing so. Keep in mind all the power plants, pipelines, and other energy transmission capabilities denied through New York State are fundamentally denied it by and for the self interests of New York City. Fracking was banned in the State allegedly to protect the Watersheds that feed water to the City. This left much of western New York State unnecessarily impoverished when it came to shale gas/oil development. Not permitting pipeline construction/upgrades costs every energy consumer in the Northeast, etc.

Essentially, this is a battle cry for the disruption not only of New York City's energy provisions, but the disruption of the distribution and consumption of all types of energy in the northeast US not deemed to be environmentally suitable by NYC (and likely controlled, economically and physically, ultimately by policies thereof, imposed on the rest of the State).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:40:29 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 11:56:31 am »
    “New York City, as the largest city in the United States, can act as a global leader by both converting to an ecologically, socially, and economically regenerative economy at emergency speed, and by organizing a transition to renewable energy and climate emergency mobilization effort.”
    ~ New York City Council, in its resolution.

Resolution

Here’s the full resolution text which the councillors, all except one who abstained, voted in favour of:

Resolution declaring a climate emergency and calling for an immediate emergency mobilization to restore a safe climate.

Resolution 864, 2019, by Council Members Kallos, Constantinides, Lander, Reynoso, Levin, Espinal, Koslowitz, Powers, Chin, Rosenthal, Barron and Rivera

Resolution: https://climateemergencydeclaration.org/new-york-city-council-declares-a-climate-emergency/

I don't have a problem with this.  NYC can do whatever the hell it wants provided that it stops at the city limit and that I am not forced to pay for it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 12:02:30 pm »
By:

@rangerrebew

Sounds good to me!

Everybody in favor of the denizens of NYC leaving the planet,raise your hands!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 09:55:58 pm »
I don't have a problem with this.  NYC can do whatever the hell it wants provided that it stops at the city limit and that I am not forced to pay for it.
That's just it: It won't stop at the City Limits. Like much of Urban California, NYC will (and already has with Bloomberg pimping gun control) seek to impose its 'solutions' on everywhere else.

But geographically, New York forms a block between Oil producing America, the Natural Gas fields, and the rest of the Northeast.
If they will not permit the construction of infrastructure to reach the other Northeastern States, they control what energy gets there. They can effectively impose their policy on all of New England, by dominating what happens in Albany.

There is a lot of money to be made in restricting what types of energy are available there, especially with winter coming on.

The Russians invaded Georgia to control the pipelines there, to retain energy hegemony over Eastern Europe. New York could do the same to the rest of the Northeast.

C S Lewis

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 09:59:18 pm »
That's just it: It won't stop at the City Limits. Like much of Urban California, NYC will (and already has with Bloomberg pimping gun control) seek to impose its 'solutions' on everywhere else.

But geographically, New York forms a block between Oil producing America, the Natural Gas fields, and the rest of the Northeast.
If they will not permit the construction of infrastructure to reach the other Northeastern States, they control what energy gets there. They can effectively impose their policy on all of New England, by dominating what happens in Albany.

There is a lot of money to be made in restricting what types of energy are available there, especially with winter coming on.

The Russians invaded Georgia to control the pipelines there, to retain energy hegemony over Eastern Europe. New York could do the same to the rest of the Northeast.

@Smokin Joe
Obviously the solution then is that we must invade New York City...
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 10:16:08 pm »

@Smokin Joe

Well,you can't really blame them for that. Fascism only works if it has total control and the people have no alternatives other than to obey or be murdered by the state.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 11:31:00 am »
@Smokin Joe

Well,you can't really blame them for that. Fascism only works if it has total control and the people have no alternatives other than to obey or be murdered by the state.

It does not even work very well when they control one nation. Sooner or later they run out of money and have to take over someone else to loot to keep their scam going. After all Fascism/Nazism is just another variant of socialism which bankrupts a it touches.