Author Topic: Asylum officers ask court to block Trump's "Remain in Mexico" policy in surprising filing  (Read 350 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Asylum officers ask court to block Trump's "Remain in Mexico" policy in surprising filing

Washington — Citing the American government's refusal to take in a group of desperate Jewish refugees fleeing Nazi Germany on the eve of World War II, a group of current asylum officers tasked with overseeing the controversial "Remain in Mexico" policy asked a federal appeals court in a surprising legal filing late Wednesday to block the Trump administration from implementing it.

The labor union representing thousands of asylum officers, Local 1924, filed the extraordinary court filing siding with plaintiffs seeking to prevent the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) from implementing the so-called "Remain in Mexico" program. Under the policy, officially called the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP), migrants who claim asylum at U.S. ports of entry along the southern border are required to wait in Mexico while their cases are adjudicated in American immigration courts.

In the filing to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals — which is reviewing the legal challenge to "Remain in Mexico" brought by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and other plaintiffs — the union of asylum officers said the program violates U.S. and international law because it places asylum seekers in dangerous circumstances.

Read more at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/remain-in-mexico-asylum-officers-ask-federal-court-to-block-trump-administration-immigration-policy/

If this was posted, merge or delete but I've seen this in the news numerous times this morning and I don't like the story at all.

I guess, what the plaintiffs are arguing is that we'd have to house all of these asylum seekers or something and this was one of the measures I saw that could effectively, keep illegals out of the US. Now, everyone trying to cross the border could claim to seek asylum and from my understanding, there is a ton of them.