Author Topic: Armed and Aging  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Armed and Aging
« on: June 28, 2019, 02:44:16 am »
Some of us grew up in the era of cinematic cowboys and were toting that BB gun before the first whisker sprouted on the chin. Years goes by your guns become .22 to hunt and plink then up the notch to shotguns and carrying multiple pistols.

Defending ourselves can be tough as we age. Having an equalizer is a good solution in case of an attack. Unfortunately, with age physical problems may come up but this can be overcome.

Here are some ideas to help older gunslinger deal with their issues....

http://americanshootingjournal.com/armed-aging/

Offline roamer_1

Re: Armed and Aging
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 03:08:54 am »
Yep.
Went from a 30/30 carbine to a 45/70 = Because I can't run no more, it has to count.

More likely now to reach for the sawed off 12ga than any other for varmints around the barn.
eyesight and reaction time are not terribly worse, but with a sawed off I can be a little fuzzy and still be guaranteed to get the job done.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 03:38:40 am »
Yep. Went from a 30/30 carbine to a 45/70 = Because I can't run no more, it has to count.
More likely now to reach for the sawed off 12ga than any other for varmints around the barn.
eyesight and reaction time are not terribly worse, but with a sawed off I can be a little fuzzy and still be guaranteed to get the job done.
@roamer_1

I am 5'4" with small bones, plus I am older than anyone here.  I don't have the strength to use my Remington shotgun with slug ammo.  Have Remington rifle with scope, too heavy for me.
My defense weapon, therefore, is a Ruger 38 Special +P, with red laser and hollow point ammo.
If you break into my house and see a red spot on your body where your heart is, or on your head - you are dead.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 03:43:41 am »
@roamer_1

I am 5'4" with small bones, plus I am older than anyone here.  I don't have the strength to use my Remington shotgun with slug ammo.  Have Remington rifle with scope, too heavy for me.
My defense weapon, therefore, is a Ruger 38 Special +P, with red laser and hollow point ammo.
If you break into my house and see a red spot on your body where your heart is, or on your head - you are dead.

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 03:53:06 am »
I don't have the strength to use my Remington shotgun with slug ammo.

Well heck, @Victoria33 , I didn't much like shooting slugs out of a 12 ga, even in my prime! Buckshot ain't half the kick and will still get the job done.

yeah, a .38 is a good choice for a lady. I generally don't have much in that size, other than a pair of 9mm... That I never use...

But most of the ladies I have had in my life recently (pretty much prerequisite for hilljillies to be packin...) .38 or 9mm have always been their choice.
 :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 04:02:50 am »
I am also going back to a Colt .45
I will keep the 1911 gear for an in-town gentleman's gun, because it is slim and easier to carry...

But not for the woods, where it has to count.
That Colt is just a part of my arm.
Never did have that with the 1911.

That ain't much about growing older other than maybe that old saw about old dogs and new tricks.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 04:07:58 am »
@roamer_1
You said, "..38...9mm have always been their choice."

I don't have the strength to pull back the slide on a 9mm.  I must use a revolver.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 04:14:19 am »
@roamer_1
You said, "..38...9mm have always been their choice."

I don't have the strength to pull back the slide on a 9mm.  I must use a revolver.

I ain't got that problem...
I just like a revolver.  :shrug:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:40:23 am »
I’m five feet, and one eighth inches. (Laugh)

I think I’d need a small gun. My friend always said someday he’d get me a small pink Hello Kitty one. Lol. But I really do like pink.

I have a neighbor who’s a cop. That works for me if he’s home and I need one ASAP.  I’ve offered to baby sit when his wife has her child in October
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:43:34 am by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️