Author Topic: Why the Coffin Industry Is Dying for Disruption  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Why the Coffin Industry Is Dying for Disruption
« on: June 27, 2019, 10:13:03 pm »
Why you should care

The funeral business is in churn, but the big players aren’t hurting — they’re consolidating their monopoly.

In the Amish community, you — or someone you know — will build your coffin. It’s simple and plain, as you might expect from the Amish. Even if you’re not Amish, you can order one of their caskets online. Or a DIY kit that turns into a coffin, a woven willow box, one made of seagrass, or one painted with your favorite Monet landscape. You probably won’t order one online though, because most Americans don’t.

America’s funeral industry is in churn, with cremations now emerging as more popular than traditional burials. In 1980, less than 10 percent of the deceased in the U.S. were cremated. By 2018, 53 percent were being cremated, and the National Funeral Directors Association has estimated that by 2035 close to 80 percent of burials will be cremations. But unlike many other industries, the disruption isn’t throwing up new challenges for the traditional biggies of the coffin industry.

Instead, the sector is growing increasingly monopolized, riding on smart moves by the industry’s giants and factors specific to the way people behave when they’re grieving. In 2012, the four largest companies in the industry controlled 72 percent of the market, and that was before two of the so-called Big Three companies, Matthews International and Aurora Casket, merged in 2014. Today the two largest, Matthews and Batesville Casket (which is owned by funeral behemoth Hillenbrand) control 82 percent of the market. That puts it in the top 10 most-consolidated industries tracked by the watchdog Open Markets Institute — more consolidated than domestic airlines or the mattress industry....

https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/why-the-coffin-industry-is-dying-for-disruption/94745?utm_term=OZY&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DailyDose_06272019&utm_content=Final

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Why the Coffin Industry Is Dying for Disruption
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 10:16:09 pm »
When I saw @To-Whose-Benefit? obit/notice I decided I am going out in a glass jar.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 10:52:44 pm »
I’m being cremated. I have a phobia of being buried alive. 

I have my cat’s ashes and I’ll have my friends ashes to be placed with me so I won’t be alone.

But regarding funeral places, 60 Minutes once did an investigation on how they really take advantage of people when they are the most vulnerable.

So I pre paid for mine so even if the price goes up, I’m covered.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 12:04:51 am »
Made three coffins in my life.
Last two I seen go were in home made coffins, and the very last one was buried on his own land... That one was the way to go. His kid made the coffin, his friend had a backhoe... Another friend carved the stone... The beer cost more than the funeral did.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 11:51:38 am »
I have to get around to planning and prepaying for my funeral. Already decided I am not going to be "laid out."  In my family, the older generation had to have wakes that lasted two, sometimes three days, where the deceased is put on display for everyone to gawk at.  No thank you.  If you didn't see me when I was alive, don't come to look at me when I'm dead.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 12:10:20 pm »
Really bad miters on that coffin in the article.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:37:12 pm »
They way this world's going, I'll probably be shot in the head and left for dead in a ditch.

As long as it's fast, I'm all right with it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline dfwgator

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 04:33:27 pm »
What I miss are the family-run funeral homes.  My family always used the same one -- started first by a father, then joined by his three sons.  The sons' children weren't interested in the funeral business; so when the last son died, the home was sold to some corporation.  Still has the family's name on it, but no one from the family actually operates it.  Because everyone in this small town knew the family running the business. you could count on not being taken advantage of when a loved one passed away.  Now I'm not so sure.  That's why I want to arrange my send-off ahead of time.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 07:03:26 pm »
I have to get around to planning and prepaying for my funeral. Already decided I am not going to be "laid out."  In my family, the older generation had to have wakes that lasted two, sometimes three days, where the deceased is put on display for everyone to gawk at.  No thank you.  If you didn't see me when I was alive, don't come to look at me when I'm dead.

I thoroughly intend to be bear poop shortly after my death...
Whereupon y'all can gaze upon my magnificence all you want.

:laugh:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 07:07:54 pm »
They way this world's going, I'll probably be shot in the head and left for dead in a ditch.

As long as it's fast, I'm all right with it.

I would hate to go from cancer. It’s miserable. I would hope someone would shoot me before the end.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 07:09:26 pm »
I thoroughly intend to be bear poop shortly after my death...
Whereupon y'all can gaze upon my magnificence all you want.

:laugh:

I think Hunter S. Thompson did it right,  get shot out of a cannon.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 07:17:30 pm »
I think Hunter S. Thompson did it right,  get shot out of a cannon.

Once I am bear poop, you are welcome to shoot me out of a cannon.
 :beer:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 08:04:27 pm »
Once I am bear poop, you are welcome to shoot me out of a cannon.
 :beer:
Go over to roamer's, shoot the sh*t... :shrug: :silly:

I'd even have a PBR in remembrance.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 08:10:12 pm »
Go over to roamer's, shoot the sh*t... :shrug: :silly:

I'd even have a PBR in remembrance.

LOL! That's right!  :beer:

Shoot it right at Michigan Avenue in Chicago (business district/mecca)...
Then my kin over that way can mark the stain and say, 'Looks like that POS finally made it!"

:silly: