Author Topic: Republican joins Democrats to push to rescind 20 Medals of Honor for Wounded Knee Massacre  (Read 421 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republican joins Democrats to push to rescind 20 Medals of Honor for Wounded Knee Massacre
by Tim Pearce
 | June 27, 2019 03:52 PM

Two Democrats and a Republican have introduced legislation to rescind 20 Medals of Honor awarded to U.S. cavalry soldiers for their actions in the 1890 Wounded Knee Massacre in South Dakota.

Democratic Reps. Denny Heck of Washington and Deb Haaland of New Mexico partnered with GOP Rep. Paul Cook of California to introduce the Remove the Stain Act on Tuesday, arguing that the soldiers who took part in the battle that killed hundreds of Native Americans did not deserve the honor.

"I believe the introduction of this bill today shows the continued work and strength of the Native American people who have fought for over a century for the United States to acknowledge the genocide of our people that has taken place on this soil," Haaland said during a Tuesday press conference.

The Medal of Honor is the military's highest honor. The lawmakers and many Native Americans argue that the 20 awarded soldiers who took part in Wounded Knee do not deserve to be considered among America's greatest heroes.

"There was no honor in these murders. And the Lakota [tribe], we live with these traumas to this day," said Manny Iron Hawk, chairman of Heartbeat At Wounded Knee 1890 and a member of the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe. "Our lives are reminders of our courage, strength, and the will to survive in the 21st century."

The Battle at Wounded Knee took place on Dec. 29, 1890 against a group of Lakota camped at Wounded Knee Creek under the supervision of the U.S. 7th Cavalry Regiment.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/lawmakers-push-to-rescind-20-medals-of-honor-for-wounded-knee-massacre
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

finally.

:boring:

Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight.

and think how relieved the Warren family is now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:42:03 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline musiclady

I may stand alone on this, but good.

Wounded Knee is one of the deepest scars in the American story, and I don't have any problem with this action.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I may stand alone on this, but good.

Wounded Knee is one of the deepest scars in the American story, and I don't have any problem with this action.

I don't have a problem with it.  It's just inconsequential to me.  None of those soldiers are giving up their medals. 
However I am marginally surprised the 2 parties can agree on uncontroversial stuff.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

It is history.  They call it 'history' for a reason.  You can not undo it nor can you erase it.   Lets stop with the bullshit.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online berdie

I had to read this twice to be sure I wasn't dreaming. So...with all the pressing matters we have to deal with..they choose this?

Go ahead and go on vacay for the 4th.

Offline rustynail

What about George Washington's Christmas Day massacre?  Justice demands an inquiry.

Offline musiclady

I had to read this twice to be sure I wasn't dreaming. So...with all the pressing matters we have to deal with..they choose this?

Go ahead and go on vacay for the 4th.

Good point.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.