Author Topic: Say Goodbye to Texas  (Read 2798 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: Say Goodbye to Texas
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 03:58:45 am »
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:00:15 am by AllThatJazzZ »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 04:12:40 am »
I think I figured out the problem...
It's that Lyle Lovett feller...
Somebody better shut him up.  **nononono*

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 04:14:47 am »
Do you attend St. Francis of Assisi in Grapevine.  When I lived in Keller I hated St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.
@The Ghost

Yes, that is our church, St. Francis in Grapevine.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 05:05:30 am »
@The Ghost

Yes, that is our church, St. Francis in Grapevine.

Nice church.   I liked that place. That was our church also.  When my wife was going thu chemo   I stopped in there on more than one occasion.  You know we might have sat next to each other at Mass a time or two.  Wouldn't that be a hoot!

@Victoria33
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:42:00 am by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 08:03:32 pm »
Texas and other red states with large liberal cities need to have a state electoral college. I sent this suggestion to Governor Abbot.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2019, 08:06:26 pm »
Texas and other red states with large liberal cities need to have a state electoral college. I sent this suggestion to Governor Abbot.

I like it.  Let's hope he listens.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 08:12:08 pm »
Something else that I have long thought helpful would be to have states allocate their presidential electors proportionately (by congressional district) the way that Maine and Nebraska do it.  I've never been a fan of the "winner take all" allocation.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2019, 08:51:58 pm »
Older conservative people leave Calif, while liberals stay here.

Kamala will transform the entire nation.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2019, 08:08:14 am »
Have trouble with 2 things right off the bat before I go any farther:

(1)
 I hardly remember anything else about Texas back then—it didn’t seem like the scenery started catching my eye until we were already halfway through New Mexico—but the heat and the bugs and the raucous country music seemed quintessentially Texan.

I am presuming he didn't go through the hill country to make a statement like that.

(2)
My subsequent trips through Texas—and they’re almost always through, never with the intent of staying an hour longer than I needed to—give me the impression it’s the world’s most overdeveloped shopping mall. The endless parking lot that is Dallas-Fort Worth is possibly the nation’s ugliest metro area, maybe even worse than Phoenix.

To say places like Grapevine and downtown Fort Worth are worse than Phoenix tells me this guy got off a plane, onto a freeway, and back on a plane again.

Now that he's offended my delicate sensibilities, :cool: I don't think he's intelligent/ambitious enough to spend the time to research what he is talking about.
Fair enough, I won't be wasting my time reading the rest of the article.
To be fair, it takes a while to get around Texas. I have been from top to houston once, across into Louisiana, and flew into Midland to drive out to Andrews and an oil rig near Patricia.

No more than crossing one part of Maryland and claiming to know the state can you cross one part of Texas and do the same.

I see Texas having the same problem we see elsewhere, where the urban vote balances or outvotes the rest of the state.  If the people coming in aren't out in the countryside working, they are going to cities, and changing the demographics there. In general, those tend to be more liberal (even in Texas), and slide toward Democrat with those policies. It's part of where they are, where the problems are different because the 'solutions' that have been applied (often at the Federal level) create more problems, which is what they were designed to do (LBJ knew that). Such is city life, and the larger a city gets, the more it swings that way, partly because of the type of people who tend to be attracted to that life.

Things are rough all over, with more flavors of 'refugees' than Baskin Robbins' has of ice cream being distributed all over the country, but with the electoral votes Texas has, it is a prime target of the asymmetrical warfare tactic of demographic shifting. It is one of the most desirable cultures to break by invading and changing and rendering the history moot.

One of the dangers is that with the situation ethics and moral relativism that now seems to dominate political discourse, the term "conservative", too, has a different meaning depending on where it is used. A "Conservative" in San Francisco just might be someone with a job who is opposed to crapping on the sidewalk. A "conservative" in New York (the city), might be someone who thinks you should be able to get a gun permit.

Contrast that with a flyover country Conservative, and you're likely to see them call the bicoastal versions knee jerk liberals.

(A permit for what??? )

This is where evolving away from the concept of principles is leading the whole country, the first principle of which should be that there are definite, fixed, moral and philosophical concepts that form the backbone of Conservatism, that are immutable, and without which any other philosophy falls short. Not the 'exceptional' Conservatism of 'I'm a conservative, except ________ (fill in the blank)', but more on the order of either you are or you aren't.
Because anything less is a step further out onto the slippery slope of Communist slavery.

We have a Constitution, written in plain enough English, supported by the contemporaneous documentation of the debates in public fora in print; of the Federalist and the Anti Federalist, laying out further the logic and thinking behind the words of the Constitution, supported by the philosophy laid forth in the Declaration of Independence, all in historical context--there's a lot to go on, and the principles laid forth in those documents are the very essence of Conservatism.

While they do not mention a specific deity, the intent of the Founders is clear enough, just in the idea that it is a government for a moral and just people.

Deviation from that plan, past honing off some of the warts and mending the rare logical flaw (as in ending slavery, granting those who lived here first citizenship,and a couple other things) is to walk away from that pinnacle of Governmental design, and as you walk away from that peak, the inevitable direction is downhill.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2019, 12:41:18 pm »

One of the dangers is that with the situation ethics and moral relativism that now seems to dominate political discourse, the term "conservative", too, has a different meaning depending on where it is used. A "Conservative" in San Francisco just might be someone with a job who is opposed to crapping on the sidewalk. A "conservative" in New York (the city), might be someone who thinks you should be able to get a gun permit.

@Smokin Joe

This is America,bitches! You should no more need a permit to buy a gun than you need a permit to speak.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 07:23:06 am »
@Smokin Joe

This is America,bitches! You should no more need a permit to buy a gun than you need a permit to speak.
@sneakypete Like I said, "A permit for what???"

Not having grown up in a jurisdiction which required all that paperwork past the 4473 (unless you were making a private purchase--eminently preferred), I was shocked to read about people in jurisdictions in the USA who had to get a permit to purchase a handgun.  (not carry concealed, but to just purchase one) WTF? Some of them were happy it only took 6 months to get the frigging permit....

I still remember my dad putting the check and order form in the envelope and getting a gun in the mail....

We have lost so much freedom in the last 50 years, where to start? But the contrast is still strongest between the rural states and the urban dominated ones on the coasts (and down the Mississippi).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:24:43 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2019, 08:36:03 am »
I still want to see Texas. I’m thinking when I start feeling human again, I would like to drive cross country. My parents did this a lot before children and they did it in cars without air conditioning.

But those cars where cool. They had fins and wings and screw  Ralph Nader for not liking them. Back then Detroit’s cars were works of art.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2019, 12:57:53 pm »
I still want to see Texas. I’m thinking when I start feeling human again, I would like to drive cross country. My parents did this a lot before children and they did it in cars without air conditioning.

But those cars where cool. They had fins and wings and screw  Ralph Nader for not liking them. Back then Detroit’s cars were works of art.
QFT! 888high58888

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2019, 01:05:56 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2019, 01:13:24 pm »

I still remember my dad putting the check and order form in the envelope and getting a gun in the mail...

I got my 2 Garands from CMP in the mail and I think they still deliver  that way.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2019, 02:59:29 pm »

I still remember my dad putting the check and order form in the envelope and getting a gun in the mail....

I still remember being able to buy a arsenal rebuild 03-A3 Springfield rifle from a magazine coupon for $12.95 including shipping,and have the mail man deliver it to your house. I was 12 and it was legal for me to buy one. Unfortunately I didn't have $12.95,and my parents couldn't understand why a kid living in the city needed a 30/06 rifle. I had a double barrel 12 gauge shotgun,and they thought that was enough. They just never understood the concept of collecting.

We have lost so much freedom in the last 50 years, where to start? But the contrast is still strongest between the rural states and the urban dominated ones on the coasts (and down the Mississippi).

If you were to sit down a make a list,nobody under 40 would believe it was not only legal,but socially acceptable to do any of those things back then,never mind all of them. The ones that like you might not thing you are lying,they would just think you are confused or were told and believed bad information.

The ones that don't know you would flat out think you were lying that ANY of those things were EVER legal without explicit written government approval.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2019, 03:05:51 pm »

@Gefn

I have a 48 Plymouth coupe that I am going to install air conditioning in. It already has a V-8 and automatic transmission,and a 78 Camaro front suspension The engine in it now is also getting replaced because it is flat worn out,and the turbo 250 transmission is junk. They are getting replaced by a balanced and blueprinted 412 SBC  with roughly 425 hp,and a 700R4 Automatic overdrive transmission. Have everything I need to do it but the health/energy. Even have the chrome redone and a completely new wiring harness. Hope to get it done and get the bodywork done,the car repainted,and back on the road by next spring.

Have other antiques I can and do drive,including an all original 51 Ford Victoria 2dr ht,but want something with some power and comfort that handles good.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 03:14:37 pm by sneakypete »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2019, 03:07:45 pm »
You could even buy working surplus cannons and ammo until the 1968 GCA took effect.

Here’s a Timeline of the Major Gun Control Laws in America

https://time.com/5169210/us-gun-control-laws-history-timeline/

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2019, 04:01:59 pm »
In high school, I drove my mother's 1961 Dodge Seneca with gigantic tailfins and a push-button transmission. I remember when cars were cars and everyone was so excited to see the new models unveiled each year.  :crying:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2019, 04:09:32 pm »
@Smokin Joe

I am likely the oldest person here and some people here make fun of me due to being old.  If they are lucky, maybe they will be as old as I am now.  Due to being old, I have lived in a time of freedom from government control, and government control now.

How government grows:
Each person who wins election to a state government office (Republican or Democrat), or national government office (Republican and Democrat), must show something they did while in office to win the next election.  Laws are passed by these entities and making new law gives the office holder a reason to be reelected (See what I did - elect me again).  Therefore, the number of laws grow from one election season to another.

I have said before if I was elected to such an office, when reelection came, I would run on "I didn't write any new law and voted no on every new law others wrote."

Growing up in the 1930s, I did not hear my parents complaining about government - it was not an issue.  They paid income tax and that was it.  They paid the doctors themselves.  We grew our own food, had chickens and grew two pigs a year; the pigs were killed in late Autumn, had a room outside for the hanging meat; mom canned food all summer and fall.  Had fig trees and peach trees.  Not much bought at a grocery store, animal meat, butter, milk, but that was done on credit.  The store kept a list of what you bought and you paid for it at the end of every month.  Social Security was started later in their life.  That is the only government law that affected them except the income tax.

"...the states (but not the federal government) began collecting sales taxes in the 1930s. The United States imposed income taxes briefly during the Civil War and the 1890s. In 1913, the 16th Amendment was ratified, permanently legalizing an income tax."

Any person of any age could drink alcohol, smoke, drive a car, etc., it was your life and you could do what you wanted.  Driver's licenses came about in 1935 when I was two years old:

"1935: The Texas Department of Public Safety issues free licenses; after two years these expire, and the Texas-sized card (3.25 x 4.25 inches) costs 25 cents. It includes perforated sections for removal by the patrolman after any driving violations."

There were no telephones in houses then.  Most houses had outhouse toilets, which is what we had. There were pots called "slop jars".  This large jar was put by the bed so in nighttime, if one needed to urinate or have a bowel movement, the slop jar was used and emptied the next day.

This was life before government passed so many laws, we are burdened down by them.  It isn't going to stop due to what I wrote at the beginning

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2019, 04:17:57 pm »
In high school I drove a 60 Chevy Biscayne. Not much on fins. Later I got a 59 Biscayne, it had mo betta fins than the 60. I just hated banging my knee on its dog legged windshield frame.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2019, 04:56:30 pm »
@Gefn

I have a 48 Plymouth coupe that I am going to install air conditioning in. It already has a V-8 and automatic transmission,and a 78 Camaro front suspension The engine in it now is also getting replaced because it is flat worn out,and the turbo 250 transmission is junk. They are getting replaced by a balanced and blueprinted 412 SBC  with roughly 425 hp,and a 700R4 Automatic overdrive transmission. Have everything I need to do it but the health/energy. Even have the chrome redone and a completely new wiring harness. Hope to get it done and get the bodywork done,the car repainted,and back on the road by next spring.

Have other antiques I can and do drive,including an all original 51 Ford Victoria 2dr ht,but want something with some power and comfort that handles good.

@sneakypete , to whose benefit had a 80 black corvette. It needed a lot of work when he got sick and I think his brother is going to either sell it for scrap or I told him to donate it to a school that teaches car mechanics, I’m sure someone would love to restore it. It still has an 8 track in it.

He called it the bat mobile 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2019, 05:15:00 pm »
My son has left a white 75 corvette in my garage for way too long. I need to claim ownership over it. It just needs some exercise. He got it when he was in Goose Creek Nuke school.  Some time after, the timing chain jumped a tooth. He decided to just have a crate engine put in by a shop people said did "good work". Afterward my son noticed a vibration driving it, but then he got orders to a sub out of Guam. I've been keeping it for him ever since. It turns out the shop dropped in an "externally balanced" 454 when the motor that came out was internally balanced, and they reused the flexplate and balancer so the new motor was unbalanced. I replaced those and test drove it. All is good now, it just needs new rubber and flush out the Demon carburetor. After I get my 56 3/4 ton back on the road, I plan on playing with the vette.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2019, 05:33:14 pm »
My son has left a white 75 corvette in my garage for way too long. I need to claim ownership over it. It just needs some exercise. He got it when he was in Goose Creek Nuke school.  Some time after, the timing chain jumped a tooth. He decided to just have a crate engine put in by a shop people said did "good work". Afterward my son noticed a vibration driving it, but then he got orders to a sub out of Guam. I've been keeping it for him ever since. It turns out the shop dropped in an "externally balanced" 454 when the motor that came out was internally balanced, and they reused the flexplate and balancer so the new motor was unbalanced. I replaced those and test drove it. All is good now, it just needs new rubber and flush out the Demon carburetor. After I get my 56 3/4 ton back on the road, I plan on playing with the vette.

Man 75 was the start of the dog years when it comes to hp.  So It would make sense for your son to replace that OEM 200 hp 350 CU engine (I'm guessing on the HP out put.)  To bad the shop sucked!

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/learn/about-corvette/corvette-specs/1975-corvette-specs/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2019, 05:41:44 pm »
Man 75 was the start of the dog years when it comes to hp.  So It would make sense for your son to replace that OEM 200 hp 350 CU engine (I'm guessing on the HP out put.)  To bad the shop sucked!

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/learn/about-corvette/corvette-specs/1975-corvette-specs/

The books say they stopped putting 454s in after 74 but it had a 454 in it that was replaced with the crate engine. Must of been a carry over.