Author Topic: Supreme Court blocks 2020 census citizenship question in setback for Trump admin  (Read 1167 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Washington (CNN) — The Supreme Court has blocked a citizenship question from being added to the 2020 census for the time being in a major setback for the Trump administration.

The bitter controversy centers around whether the administration can ask all recipients a citizenship question on the 2020 census for the first time since 1950.

Writing for a 5-4 majority, Chief Justice John Roberts concluded that there was sufficient reason for concern about why the Commerce Department wanted to add the question. Roberts had the support of the four liberal justices.

"If judicial review is to be more than an empty ritual, it must demand something better than the explanation offered for the action taken in this case," he wrote.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/27/politics/census-supreme-court/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline dfwgator

Chief Judas Roberts strikes again.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The ruling says the question can stay ---- if the agency does a better job of explaining why.  It is blocked for now.

(And no, there is no deadline for printing the census forms)

Offline edpc

Chief Judas Roberts strikes again.

Seems like he’s asking them to reword it and try again. In a case that has the left very upset, he went with the conservative bloc to say they had no role in congressional districting.

"Excessive partisanship in districting leads to results that reasonably seem unjust. But the fact that such gerrymandering is 'incompatible with democratic principles' ... does not mean that the solution lies with the federal judiciary," he wrote.

"We conclude that partisan gerrymandering claims present political questions beyond the reach of the federal courts," Roberts added. "Federal judges have no license to reallocate political power between the two major political parties, with no plausible grant of authority in the Constitution, and no legal standards to limit and direct their decisions."

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/27/politics/partisan-gerrymandering-supreme-court/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

Offline dfwgator

Seems like he’s asking them to reword it and try again. In a case that has the left very upset, he went with the conservative bloc to say they had no role in congressional districting.

"Excessive partisanship in districting leads to results that reasonably seem unjust. But the fact that such gerrymandering is 'incompatible with democratic principles' ... does not mean that the solution lies with the federal judiciary," he wrote.

"We conclude that partisan gerrymandering claims present political questions beyond the reach of the federal courts," Roberts added. "Federal judges have no license to reallocate political power between the two major political parties, with no plausible grant of authority in the Constitution, and no legal standards to limit and direct their decisions."

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/27/politics/partisan-gerrymandering-supreme-court/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

The bottom line is the question will not be on the 2020 Census,  bank on that!   I don't care what Roberts' reasoning is.  Just as with ObamaCare, the bottom line is we're still stuck with it because of his vote.

Fox has updated their reporting adding "for now"

Supreme Court blocks citizenship question in 2020 census for now
Fox News, Jun 27, 2019

The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked, for now, the Trump administration's plan to include a question on the 2020 census that inquires about a person’s citizenship status.

The court said the administration's explanation for adding such a question is insufficient and sent it back to the lower courts for further consideration. The ruling marks a setback for the administration, though the issue is not yet resolved.

Still, while further lower-court litigation is possible, it would be very difficult for the administration to get the question on the census in time for the forms to be printed by the government’s own self-declared summer deadline.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-blocks-citizenship-question-in-2020-census-for-now

Whether or not the self-declared deadline for the forms is pushed back will be up to us and the volume of our voices demanding the deadline be moved

The bottom line is the question will not be on the 2020 Census,  bank on that!   

Please don't wave the white flag on this ….we didn't expect this to be an easy win.   I'm just damn pleased the question is still alive.

Offline edpc

The bottom line is the question will not be on the 2020 Census,  bank on that!   I don't care what Roberts' reasoning is.  Just as with ObamaCare, the bottom line is we're still stuck with it because of his vote.

Actually, the bottom line is Republicans in Congress failed to do what they promised, since 2010 and repeal it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
In a dissenting opinion, Thomas wrote that "For the first time ever, the court invalidates an agency action solely because it questions the sincerity of the agency's otherwise adequate rationale."

"This conclusion is extraordinary,"
he wrote. "The court engages in an unauthorized inquiry into evidence not properly before us to reach an unsupported conclusion."

Justice Thomas gets it right! Again!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The ruling says the question can stay ---- if the agency does a better job of explaining why.  It is blocked for now.

(And no, there is no deadline for printing the census forms)
The decision raises the question of whether the administration will have enough time or the ability to add the citizenship question before the census begins. The administration previously told the court that the questionnaire needed to be printed by the end of June.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
In a dissenting opinion, Thomas wrote that "For the first time ever, the court invalidates an agency action solely because it questions the sincerity of the agency's otherwise adequate rationale."

"This conclusion is extraordinary,"
he wrote. "The court engages in an unauthorized inquiry into evidence not properly before us to reach an unsupported conclusion."

Justice Thomas gets it right! Again!

I agree.   Either the agency has the authority or it doesn't.   If it does,  shouldn't the propriety of the census question be viewed merely under the "rational basis" standard?     What is the SCOTUS doing rendering its opinion of the Trump administration's "sincerity?"   Clearly,  Roberts has joined the libs to fend off what he fears will be attacks on the Court's impartiality.   And he's done so by confirming the Court's partiality (and cowardice).   

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So it is like I said to my ex g/f, "So there is still a chance then...right?"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Talk about broken.  The Supreme Court is out of control.  They have entirely too much to say about everything, and castrate both the executive and legislative branch of government.  Frankly, I would like to see their powers cut back dramatically.

As long as Roberts sits on the Supreme Court, I hope we never hear the name Bush in politics again.  Talk about political, Roberts is a fool.  The American people have the right to be represented, illegal invading aliens do not.  This nation does not exist for the benefit of the illegal invaders.  Everyone likes to mention the Nazis, well for me, illegal invading aliens are no different than the Nazis invading France.  Both are groups of people that entered nations unwanted, uninvited, and cause more problems than they are worth.

The morons that claim these illegal aliens are not costing the American taxpayer hundreds of billions each year have their head where the sun does not shine.

I have said it before, I will repeat it.  If the USA can supply the Allies over roughly a 3.5 year period to defeat the Axis powers, we can EASILY deport every illegal invading alien.  Either we are a nation of laws, or we are nothing.  It is time to impose a $1,000/day/illegal alien at any employer.  I think we should offer a reward to everyone that reports illegal aliens in the workforce.  End the stinking court system for determining who stays who goes, suspend refugee status, and deport all that are illegal.  Seize all their assets and deport them.

The IRS is real quick to seize assets of citizens, and yet illegal invaders pay no taxes, and get government benefits, and I am tired of this nonsense.  We treat our own citizens worse than these illegal invaders.  It's wrong!

Offline bilo

If I'm wrong, I'm sure an informed poster can correct me. I believe the census data is used to determine how large (populous) Congressional Districts are going to be. I think the district sizing is supposed to be on the basis of the number of US citizens, not just the number of people in the district. If the districts are drawn on the basis of the number of people, not the number of citizens, than States that have large numbers of illegals living in them will have more representation in the House than States that have less illegals and proportionally more citizens.

It sure seems like a big issue as far as the govt. representing it's citizens is concerned.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Talk about broken.  The Supreme Court is out of control.  They have entirely too much to say about everything, and castrate both the executive and legislative branch of government.  Frankly, I would like to see their powers cut back dramatically.

As long as Roberts sits on the Supreme Court, I hope we never hear the name Bush in politics again.  Talk about political, Roberts is a fool.  The American people have the right to be represented, illegal invading aliens do not.  This nation does not exist for the benefit of the illegal invaders.  Everyone likes to mention the Nazis, well for me, illegal invading aliens are no different than the Nazis invading France.  Both are groups of people that entered nations unwanted, uninvited, and cause more problems than they are worth.

The morons that claim these illegal aliens are not costing the American taxpayer hundreds of billions each year have their head where the sun does not shine.

I have said it before, I will repeat it.  If the USA can supply the Allies over roughly a 3.5 year period to defeat the Axis powers, we can EASILY deport every illegal invading alien.  Either we are a nation of laws, or we are nothing.  It is time to impose a $1,000/day/illegal alien at any employer.  I think we should offer a reward to everyone that reports illegal aliens in the workforce.  End the stinking court system for determining who stays who goes, suspend refugee status, and deport all that are illegal.  Seize all their assets and deport them.

The IRS is real quick to seize assets of citizens, and yet illegal invaders pay no taxes, and get government benefits, and I am tired of this nonsense.  We treat our own citizens worse than these illegal invaders.  It's wrong!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

In 1803, less than 14 years after the Constitution was ratified, U.S. Supreme Court case Marbury v. Madison proved that the author of the Constitution, James Madison, did not know how to interpret what he wrote.  The case cemented the power of the federal courts to declare legislative and executive acts unconstitutional.  The ruling was unanimous.  It's been like that for over 200 years.  It's probably past time to accept it.

Illegals = Nazis...Nice.  I think you have stumbled upon the Trump 2020 slogan.

The problem is very much "can it be done?"  But more important is convincing a majority of voters to care about the issue, and then convincing voters, your solution, that deporting millions of people is better then the inevitable consequences of implementing the deportations.  With Trump's incompetence and ineffectiveness protecting the border and building the Wall it will be a hard sell.

I disagree.

Offline berdie

I got the "long form" census last time.  It boggles my mind that they can ask how many commodes I have...but not if I am a citizen.

(and for the record, I didn't answer. The census taker eventually followed me to my house and I answered "not your business". I felt sorry for her...there were a bazillion mosquitoes flying around her head and it was hot as all get out.)

Offline edpc