Author Topic: Press 1 for English. First bilingual presidential debate as three candidates and a moderator speak  (Read 614 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

First bilingual presidential debate as three candidates and a moderator speak in Spanish
by Zachary Halaschak
 | June 26, 2019 10:10 PM

Print this article

By the half-way point of the first Democratic presidential debate, three candidates and one moderator had spoken in Spanish, some attempts more fluent than others.

The bilingual gambits began with former Texas Rep. Irish Bob O’Rourke, who for his first question began by speaking his second language.

O'Rourke, 46, was responding to a question about whether he would support a marginal individual 70% tax rate on highest earners. He responded in Spanish translated to: “We need to include everyone in the success of this economy. But, if we want to do this, we have to include everyone in our democracy. Every voter needs representation, and every voice must be listened to.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/first-bilingual-presidential-debate-as-three-candidates-and-a-moderator-speak-in-spanish
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

Glad I missed this snoozefest.

And Robert (I won't call this phony Mexican "Beto")

“We need to include everyone in the success of this economy. But, if we want to do this, we have to include everyone in our democracy. Every voter needs representation, and every voice must be listened to.”

First of all, we have a republic, not a democracy.  Second, when is this inclusiveness you speak of going to include Christian, heterosexual, English-speaking conservatives?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 01:46:06 pm by Applewood »

Offline Slide Rule

They don't know where they live.

Scratch virtue signalling unless you enjoy Press 1 for English forever.

:)

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
First bilingual presidential debate as three candidates and a moderator speak in Spanish

Am I still in America? What country do these idiots think they're running for election to govern? man how I wish I could go back to the America I grew up in, you know the one before the democrats completely jacked it? I would be happy to give up computers, cell phones, 50 friggin thousand dollar cars, and a kazillion TV channels all playing the same mindless crap.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

Am I still in America? What country do these idiots think they're running for election to govern? man how I wish I could go back to the America I grew up in, you know the one before the democrats completely jacked it? I would be happy to give up computers, cell phones, 50 friggin thousand dollar cars, and a kazillion TV channels all playing the same mindless crap.

You ain't the only one!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I've often posted:
Take me back to 1954.

Let's go back to the way EVERYTHING was back then.
The good AND "the bad".
It was fine with me.

Offline mountaineer

Robby O'Rourke sounded like he barely passed Spanish I. His accent was inauthentic, to say the least. Spanish with a doper-hipster-of-Irish-descent accent, perhaps.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org