Author Topic: Gibson’s Bakery v. Oberlin College – Defense wants damages reduced to $14.3 million under Ohio tort  (Read 607 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gibson’s Bakery v. Oberlin College – Defense wants damages reduced to $14.3 million under Ohio tort reform caps

Posted by William A. Jacobson      Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 2:00pm

Gibson’s Bakery says not so fast, proper calculation under Ohio tort reform law nets them $25 million

The massive $11 million compensatory and $33 million punitive damage verdicts in favor of Gibson’s Bakery and its owners have been matched by equally massive media condemnation of Oberlin College’s conduct.

In response, Oberlin College has developed a crisis management talking point that this “is a First Amendment case about whether whether an institution can be held liable for the speech of its students.” It’s a narrative of Oberlin College as victim, not the perpetrator the jury found it to be, and it’s being rolled out by Oberlin College with increasing media focus.

Of course, that’s not at all what the case was about. The case was about the conduct and speech of Oberlin administrators, particularly Senior Vice President and Dean of Students Meredith Raimondo, under standard and well settled principles that an employer is responsible for the tortious actions of employees acting within the scope of their employment. There is nothing novel about that legal principle, and in this case it was applied to Raimondo and other administrators, not to students

more
https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/gibsons-bakery-v-oberlin-college-defense-wants-damages-reduced-to-14-3-million-under-ohio-tort-reform-caps/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
While the Antifa types will be very impressed by Oberlin's argument, the courts will take a much different view of the events (unless the Judges deciding the appeals are themselves Antifa types).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Well, well.  Oberlin has made the news once again.  And it is good news, happening right before school begins.

Court: Oberlin College Must Post $36 Million Bond After Refusing to Pay Judgment
An Ohio judge has ordered Oberlin College to post a $36 million bond after it refused to pay the multi-million judgment to Gibson’s Bakery stemming from the family business’s defamation case against the college.
According to a report by Legal Insurrection, an Ohio judge has ordered Oberlin College to post a $36 million bond in response to its refusal to pay Gibson’s Bakery the multi-million judgment owed from a massive defamation lawsuit.
Gibson’s Bakery sued Oberlin College for their role in a smear campaign against the bakery over a shoplifting incident during which three black Oberlin students assaulted the store’s shopkeeper. The students, who pled guilty to the assault, have acknowledged that race played no role in the altercation.
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/07/29/court-oberlin-college-must-post-36-million-bond-after-refusing-to-pay-judgement/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, well.  Oberlin has made the news once again.  And it is good news, happening right before school begins.

Court: Oberlin College Must Post $36 Million Bond After Refusing to Pay Judgment

Is ordering a Bond in this situation standard procedure?  I genuinely don't know. :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Is ordering a Bond in this situation standard procedure?  I genuinely don't know. :shrug:

I hope it is not like algores SS lock box.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Bill Cipher

It depends, but bonds are not unheard of in the context of appellate proceedings. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I hope it is not like algores SS lock box.

No, this would be more like a Title Company's escrow account when you buy a house.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It depends, but bonds are not unheard of in the context of appellate proceedings.

I appreciate the clarification.  So Oberlin does not have precedence on their side when they gripe about the bond.  After all, a surety bond is to guarantee the money doesn't "evaporate," turning the defendant into a turnip.  This isn't a bond to stay out of jail..
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

From the clarifying article below, since Oberlin is appealing it must post the bond in lieu of the plaintiffs seizing assets to cover the judgement.

Oberlin College ordered to post $36 million bond to delay Gibson’s Bakery collection of Judgment
Judge granted Oberlin College’s motion to stay execution of the judgment, but required the posting of a bond in the amount of the judgment plus three years interest as security.

The compensatory and punitive damages of $25 million (after reduction for tort reform caps), plus the over $6.5 million in attorney’s fees and costs, put Oberlin College almost $32 million in debt to Gibson’s Bakery and its owners.

Absent some judicial action, the next step would have been for the Gibsons to execute on the judgment, meaning start collecting the money through post-judgment remedies, such as seizing bank accounts and physical property.

Oberlin College, which intends to appeal once post-trial motions are over, obviously doesn’t want its bank accounts, computer equipment, and er, Dean of Students’ office furniture, seized just as the freshman class was arriving. So Oberlin College filed a motion for a stay of execution of the judgment until such time as it can appeal and obtain an appeal bond.

We covered the parties’ arguments for and against in our prior post, Gibson’s Bakery: “there is serious concern about [Oberlin College’s] ability to pay this sizeable judgment three years from now”. Gibson’s Bakery devoted much of its opposition to arguing for a bond on the basis that Oberlin College was in poor financial shape.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/07/oberlin-college-ordered-to-post-36-million-bond-to-delay-gibsons-bakery-collection-of-judgment/

Ironically, it was the college's own arguments of its weak financial situation that precipitated the bond being required.  The judge deemed the judgement against the college may not be accessible to the plaintiffs.

I love it.  Oberlin just gets stepping in its own goo.  And BTW, it won't apologize for anything.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online dfwgator

In a related story, People In Hell Want Ice Water.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
From the clarifying article below, since Oberlin is appealing it must post the bond in lieu of the plaintiffs seizing assets to cover the judgement.

Oberlin College ordered to post $36 million bond to delay Gibson’s Bakery collection of Judgment
Ironically, it was the college's own arguments of its weak financial situation that precipitated the bond being required.  The judge deemed the judgement against the college may not be accessible to the plaintiffs.

I love it.  Oberlin just gets stepping in its own goo.  And BTW, it won't apologize for anything.

IOW, Oberlin had every incentive to "disappear" the money and become the proverbial turnip from which no blood can be obtained.  They already placed their markers on the "too poor to pay" argument by pleading poverty.

Yes, this is great news from a no-nonsense Judge.
I will NOT comply.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Court: Oberlin College Must Post $36 Million Bond After Refusing to Pay Judgment"

"So Oberlin College filed a motion for a stay of execution of the judgment until such time as it can appeal and obtain an appeal bond..."

OK.
But...

How "open-ended" is "such time as it can" ?
A month? Three months?  A year?
What happens if they refuse to pay?
(which they will do)

What do the plaintiffs do next?
What can the court do next?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"Court: Oberlin College Must Post $36 Million Bond After Refusing to Pay Judgment"

"So Oberlin College filed a motion for a stay of execution of the judgment until such time as it can appeal and obtain an appeal bond..."

OK.
But...

How "open-ended" is "such time as it can" ?
A month? Three months?  A year?
What happens if they refuse to pay?
(which they will do)

What do the plaintiffs do next?
What can the court do next?

And that's why there's a surety bond.  To make sure the Plaintiff collects if there is an eventual award.  There has to be a decision eventually, probably years away.
I will NOT comply.