Author Topic: Border patrol under fire for refusing donations for migrant kids, but there’s a legal reason it had  (Read 435 times)

rangerrebew

Border patrol under fire for refusing donations for migrant kids, but there’s a legal reason it had to decline
June 25, 2019 | Victor Rantala 

The Texas Tribune has reported that a Border Patrol facility near El Paso is not accepting donations for migrant children being held there.

According to the publication, at least one small group of local citizens arrived at the facility on Sunday with a load of toys, diapers, medicine, and toiletries that they purchased from Target but that the lobby was closed.

A group of friends that included local resident Austin Savage were concerned by recent news stories that detailed overcrowding, illness, and substandard care at the facility, so they brought donations they said were worth about $340, as reported by the Tribune. They group said that several Border Patrol agents moving in and out of a parking facility “ignored them.”

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/06/25/border-patrol-under-fire-for-refusing-donations-for-migrant-kids-but-theres-a-legal-reason-it-had-to-decline-768574

Offline berdie

I read this story earlier today and still don't understand why donations are not accepted.

There is a lot of tragedy involved, imho.  It's not the Border Patrols fault. It's not the kids fault. It may not be the parent's fault. There is someone in their native countries telling them that it's all hunky dory if you get to the US.

I may be hammered...but if I find out that they will take donations...I'll do it.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
I read this story earlier today and still don't understand why donations are not accepted.

There is a lot of tragedy involved, imho.  It's not the Border Patrols fault. It's not the kids fault. It may not be the parent's fault. There is someone in their native countries telling them that it's all hunky dory if you get to the US.

I may be hammered...but if I find out that they will take donations...I'll do it.

Can I suggest that you wait until you sober up before donating?

(From past experience I can tell you that it was a bitch trying to get that $20,000 check back from Jerry Lewis.)

Offline berdie

Can I suggest that you wait until you sober up before donating?

(From past experience I can tell you that it was a bitch trying to get that $20,000 check back from Jerry Lewis.)

@EdJames ....you actually make me lol.

Offline rustynail

Dana Loesch isn't working maybe see and Glenn Beck can take another
load of soccer balls to the waifs and strays.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

This is at the bottom of the article:

While there was no response from anyone within the Border Patrol on the refusal of the gifts, Theresa Brown, a former policy advisor for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said there were legal reasons the donations were turned away.

“It’s partially a constitutional thing about Congress controlling the purse and only being able to spend money that Congress gives, but it’s also about ethics,” she said, according to the Texas Tribune.

Brown cited the Antideficiency Act, which forbids government agencies from spending or accepting money or donations other then what is allocated by Congress.

“Without a change in law, DHS, CPB and Border Patrol cannot accept those private donations,” she said.

Brown said the law is designed to keep the government from becoming beholden to private-sector entities, according to the Tribune.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline berdie

This is at the bottom of the article:

Yeah...because there are no other "private donations" to any other government sponsored  causes....evah!

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist