Author Topic: Sitting while watching TV, but not sitting at work, linked with higher health risk  (Read 1402 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.today.com/health/sitting-while-watching-tv-not-sitting-work-linked-higher-health-t157111

June 26, 2019
by A. Pawlowski

Sitting for long periods of time while watching TV was associated with a greater risk of heart disease and premature death, while sitting at work didn’t have that same link, according to a study published Wednesday in the Journal of the American Heart Association.

“We were really surprised. Most of us in the field thought that sitting is sitting no matter what you do, and it’s harmful whether it’s at work or at home watching TV,” lead author Keith Diaz, an assistant professor of behavioral medicine at Columbia University in New York City, told TODAY.

“(But) it appears that what you do outside of your work time is what may really matter for your heart health.”

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Only reason I can think this might have some merit is when you watch tv some people eat junk food. You probably won’t do that at work
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Polly Ticks

I wonder if the opposite scenario would show the same results - i.e., would people who are active on their jobs but sit and watch TV during their off hours also show less health risks than the desk jockey / couch potato combo?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline rustynail

Couches kill.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
C'mon, folks.

How many of you STAND and watch the tv, or use the computer that way?
(at home)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Eating Cheetos naked in a bean bag chair watching TV is not healthy.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I had a standing desk for a while at work but I gave it up when my hips started giving out.  So, I sat at work and watching TV so I'm good to go.  Especially since there is no longer a "work" to stand at anymore.

Lovin the retired life in the Castle.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Must be the beanbag chair, because I consume the cheezy puffs watching TV all the time.  We've decided we like the white cheddar the best.  I have a crapton on the way from Amazon, getting it Friday.  She likes the regular, I like the crunchy.  Goood eatin'.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Offline Wingnut

Must be the beanbag chair, because I consume the cheezy puffs watching TV all the time.  We've decided we like the white cheddar the best.  I have a crapton on the way from Amazon, getting it Friday.  She likes the regular, I like the crunchy.  Goood eatin'.

Pass me a bottle Mr Jones  :beer:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Pass me a bottle Mr Jones  :beer:
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Mr. Jones and me, stumbling through the Barrio...

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Robert Tilton's bank account would disagree.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Wingnut

Robert Tilton's bank account would disagree.

Like @Cyber Liberty said "where is that G-note"  lol

Offline Applewood

Only reason I can think this might have some merit is when you watch tv some people eat junk food. You probably won’t do that at work

When I bought my recliner and a nice table to go with it, I started eating in front of the tv.  And eating.  And eating.  I think watching tv is a distraction, so I don't pay attention to how much I put into my mouth.   Plus I tend to just shovel it in, not take small bites at a slow pace.  Eating quickly tends to make my tummy not tell my brain it's full right away.  So the brain says, "get more food."  And this can go on for hours.

Had to stop eating in front of the tv.  Right now I have a glass of water with me while I sit in the recliner typing away.  But no snacks.