Author Topic: Mexico will not detain migrants at US border: president  (Read 330 times)

Offline libertybele

Mexico will not detain migrants at US border: president
« on: June 25, 2019, 08:46:05 pm »
Mexico will not detain migrants at US border: president

Mexico City (AFP) - Mexico's president said Tuesday the 15,000 troops his government has deployed to the US border do not have orders to stop migrants from crossing, and vowed to investigate a controversial detention last week.

"No such order has been issued, and we are going to review that case, so that it doesn't happen again, because that's not our job," President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador told a press conference.

He made the comment after an AFP journalist's images of heavily armed National Guardsmen forcibly detaining two women and a young girl at the edge of the Rio Grande river triggered backlash in Mexico, whose government faces pressure from US President Donald Trump to slow a surge of Central American migrants.

The statement contradicts what Lopez Obrador's own defense minister said Monday in a joint press conference with the president...........

.......After a week of tense negotiations in Washington, the two sides announced a deal on June 7 in which Mexico agreed to reinforce its southern border with 6,000 National Guardsmen and expand its policy of taking back migrants while the US processes their asylum claims.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-not-detain-migrants-us-border-president-151532359.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Victoria33

Re: Mexico will not detain migrants at US border: president
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:52:31 pm »
@libertybele

Well, we are back to square one, as usual. It's hard to know what to say at this point. 

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 09:07:28 pm »
@libertybele

Well, we are back to square one, as usual. It's hard to know what to say at this point.

I’ve found it’s best to not say a durn thing. Both parties want to rally their base, while doing as little as possible to solve the problem.

And you know what? It’s working for Trump and the Democrats.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 09:25:42 pm »
My guess is he got a message from the cartels.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 09:27:33 pm »
@libertybele

I believe the defining moment is just around the corner.  If Trump caves to Nancy's requests for billions in humanitarian aid and free legal advice, I think we should anticipate that the invasion will continue and no deportations will happen.

Trump also stated that if Mexico didn't comply he would resume the tariffs. The national guard has been increased, but we're still waiting on results with conflicting reports coming from Mexico.

These are either going to make or break Trump's chances of getting re-elected.  We will know soon enough.

So far no wall, no border security.  He backpedals on this issue again, I think he's done.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 09:34:20 pm »
My guess is he got a message from the cartels.

Well, that may very well be.  But remember Trump first gave them a year and now he's worked out another deal with the promise of tariffs.

IF Mexico isn't making progress because of the cartel, then  Trump needs to then use his authority under the War Powers Act -- notification to congress within 48 years after commitment of troops with a 30 day withdrawal period.  I'd say he could clean up the problem in that time frame if he truly wanted to.

What ever happened to the emergency declaration?  Our troops should be at the border and letting absolutely no one in.  So far Trump has treaded ever so lightly without doing a whole lot other than allowing the invasion to continue.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 09:45:27 pm »
I'm sure the troops are there to assist in the human trafficking and drug smuggling.  This is Mexico we're talking about, right?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 09:47:24 pm »
It was beyond foolhardy to believe that Messico was ever going to do any effective in fixing this mess.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 09:47:52 pm »
I believe the defining moment is just around the corner.  If Trump caves to Nancy's requests for billions in humanitarian aid and free legal advice, I think we should anticipate that the invasion will continue and no deportations will happen.

Trump also stated that if Mexico didn't comply he would resume the tariffs. The national guard has been increased, but we're still waiting on results with conflicting reports coming from Mexico.

These are either going to make or break Trump's chances of getting re-elected.  We will know soon enough.

So far no wall, no border security.  He backpedals on this issue again, I think he's done.

Agreed.  This is a big issue for me, and if he's being a jackwagon I won't be able to vote for him either.  It's now or never, Mr. President.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 10:01:40 pm »
Will the Asylum issue ever be addressed?
Until it is, none of this may matter anyway.

Anyone can claim asylum.
Technically, you are not an "illegal" then.
You can do it at a port of entry, but that is not mandatory.
You can do it up to one year, regardless of your immigration status.

As it stands now, someone comes in and may or may not be met by a border patrol agent.
They say "asylum" and now you have to have a hearing to determine the claim (our laws).
The hearing is scheduled, and off they go, into the country, without going to the hearing.

Some things that are wrong with this are pretty obvious:

(1) Someone can be here 10 years, claim they've been here for less than 1, and ask for asylum. Why not? Technically, no one knows there here or when they arrived.

(2) Not making it mandatory that asylum claims can only come through legal ports of entry.
See problem#1.
 If it is not done through a legal port of entry, it cannot be determined when you've actually arrived to the U.S. It can only be determined when you've asked for asylum.

These things have to be fixed, or nothing else will make much difference.