Author Topic: History What-If: Could Custer Have Survived the Battle of Little Big Horn?  (Read 1711 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

June 16, 2019 Topic: History Blog Brand: T
History What-If: Could Custer Have Survived the Battle of Little Big Horn?

A different fate?
by Warfare History Network

We can never know what frantic thoughts raced through George Armstrong Custer’s mind in the last hour of his life. But surely, as ever-growing numbers of angry, well-armed Plains Indians closed in on his 210 troopers of the 7th Cavalry, he must have realized that he had fatally misjudged the size of the hostile force now surrounding him.

His plan to subdue a large Indian village had completely broken down. He had been warned repeatedly by his scouts that his target, an Indian encampment on Montana’s Little Bighorn River, was far larger than he had imagined. Now, on this very hot June day in 1876, he must have known that he was going to die.

Even to the very end of what is now known as Custer’s Last Stand, we can picture the desperate, dust-covered Custer looking hopefully to the southeast for expected help from the rest of his command. He died not knowing why Major Marcus Reno and Captain Frederick Benteen never came up in support.

more
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/history-what-if-could-custer-have-survived-battle-little-big-horn-62757
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

A lot had been made of Custer being last in his class at West Point.  But the truth was that he had an excellent command record in the WBTS.

OTOH...   His strategic debacle in 1876 just solidifies the saying "One Oh-Shit wipes out a 1000 "attaboys"", and his legacy reflects accordingly.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
A lot had been made of Custer being last in his class at West Point.  But the truth was that he had an excellent command record in the WBTS.

If you overlook all the atrocities I suppose.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
If you overlook all the atrocities I suppose.

True, WTS' actions are almost  considered the ultimate  tactical success.  Again still, I guess its how you define success.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

No.

Weir went to his aid, and it was already over with.

This 'fifteen minute critical window' crap comes up now and then...

In the first place, Custer was far enough away that a fifteen minute hard ride would be a bet. And stretching out his forces in a mad dash would have been suicide.

Second, Benteen was currently aiding Reno, who had just got his butt royally kicked, too, and was discovering the hostile forces were much bigger than they knew.

Thirdly Benteen was protecting, and waiting on the supplies which included much needed ammunition. Had he gone, the relatively unprotected supply line would have been vulnerable, and he'd have gone in against an immense force under-supplied.

He dug in on Reno hill and waited for Terry... And probably saved all that were left.
It sucks, but it was probably the right thing to do.

Offline Joe Wooten

A pretty good what-if book