Author Topic: Two More Border Cities Added to U.S.-Mexico Asylum Program: Sources  (Read 393 times)

Offline bilo

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - U.S.-bound asylum seekers will be sent back to at least two additional Mexican border cities later this week to wait for their claims to be processed, officials said, with one of the cities in a region that is among Mexico's most chaotic and violent.

...As part of the deal struck earlier this month to remove the tariff threat, Mexico agreed for MPP to apply to the whole length of the border, but capacity issues on both sides have slowed implementation.

Under the deal, Mexico has also deployed a new militarized National Guard police force to detain migrants near the country's northern and southern borders.

...Since it was implemented, nearly 14,000 asylum seekers have been sent to Mexico under the program.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2019-06-23/two-more-border-cities-added-to-us-mexico-asylum-program-sources
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

Re: Two More Border Cities Added to U.S.-Mexico Asylum Program: Sources
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 11:06:37 pm »
Remain in Mexico is aimed at dissuading asylum seekers from applying for refuge in the United States. The Trump administration says many claims are false, and that claimants will desist once they realize they must stay in Mexico for extended periods.

I think Trump is right. I know for a lot of posters at TBR whatever Trump does isn't enough, but I see progress being made.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home