Author Topic: Trump: My One ‘Do-Over’ Would Be Jeff Sessions  (Read 677 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
PAM KEY 23 Jun 2019

Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” President Donald Trump said given another chance he would not appoint former Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) as attorney general.

Host Chuck Todd asked, “If you could have one do-over as president, what would it be?”

Trump replied, “It would be personnel.”

He continued, “I would say if I had one do-over, it would be, I would not have appointed Jeff Sessions to be attorney general. That would be my one.”

Sessions’ recusal in the 2016 Russian interference probe led to the appointment of special counsel Robert Mueller.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/06/23/trump-my-one-do-over-would-be-jeff-sessions/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Trump: My One ‘Do-Over’ Would Be Jeff Sessions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 07:18:37 pm »
That's too bad because Jeff Sessions was doing what he promised to reign in illegal immigration.  He was taking a hard line against MS-13 and illegal immigrants.  His only issue was that he recused himself.  Which BTW Trumps lap dog Lindsey Graham advised him to do.

PoliticsTrump Administration
Jeff Sessions’ law enforcement legacy overshadowed by Trump’s fury

WASHINGTON — To Jeff Sessions, President Donald Trump was the man who could do no wrong. To Trump, Sessions was the attorney general who could do no right.
On questions of immigration, police work, and civil rights, the president could hardly find a more eager champion of his administration’s policies.
But on the issue that seemed to matter most to the president — protecting him and his White House from the criminal investigation into 2016 election interference by Russia — Sessions recused himself shortly after becoming the attorney general.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?action=post;topic=366207.0;last_msg=1996101

Had he stuck with Jeff Session we probably would have made great strides in enforcing the law and stopping the flow of illegal immigration.  Jeff Sessions was the guy.  But Donald and his Mueller investigation has always taken center stage and hindered his ability to do what he said he would do.  And funny...…….yes funny but Donald doesn't have the hate for Nancy Pelosi that he seems to have for Jeff Sessions.  He lets her walk all over him.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 07:21:38 pm »
This again?  Does he ever let go of his butthurt?

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 07:25:01 pm »
Jeff Sessions on Immigration Law: ‘I’m Going to Follow The Laws Passed By Congress’

Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions told the Senate Tuesday morning that voters believe immigration policy should prioritize the needs of American workers.

Sessions’ remark came when Democratic Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin claimed Sessions would not support a “humane” rewrite of the nation’s immigration law. “There’s not a spot of evidence in your career to suggest that as Attorney General you would use the authority of that office to resolve the challenges of our broken immigration system in a fair and humane manner,” Durbin said to Sessions. “Tell me I’m wrong.”

I’m going to follow the laws passed by Congress. As a matter of policy, we disagreed on some of those issues. I do believe that if you continually go through a cycle of amnesty that you undermine the respect for the law and encourage more illegal immigration into America. I believe the American people spoke clearly in this election. I believe they agreed with my basic view.

Throughout the 2016 election, the American people rejected multiple candidates who ran on a position of immigration amnesty in favor of a now President-elect Donald Trump, whom Sessions endorsed and who was vocal about his desire to enforce U.S. immigration law. In addition, the American people have considered and rejected various amnesty proposals on multiple occasions, including in 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2014.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2017/01/10/jeff-sessions-on-immigration-law-im-going-to-follow-the-laws-passed-by-congress/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 07:26:48 pm »

Too bad he doesn't hold that same butthurt for Nancy and Chuck.  Maybe we would get something done.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 07:35:08 pm »
I'm asking just out of curiosity @Chosen Daughter --- what issue before immigration did you focus on?

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 07:35:53 pm »
Jeff Sessions Always Wanted to Deport Undocumented Immigrant Youth. Now He Can
By Josh Saul On 9/5/17 at 11:22 AM EDT

https://www.newsweek.com/sessions-trump-undocumented-immigrants-daca-dream-act-history-obama-trump-659683

Sessions signals immigration crackdown: 'This is the Trump era'
The attorney general wants the Justice Department to make immigration enforcement a priority.

By TED HESSON 04/11/2017 01:09 PM EDT Updated 04/11/2017 06:08 PM EDT

Attorney General Jeff Sessions sent a warning Tuesday to people who break the nation’s immigration laws: If you cross the border illegally, you risk prosecution under the full force of the law.
Speaking from a border port of entry in Nogales, Arizona, Sessions vowed a dramatic Justice Department crackdown on illegal immigration that would include felony charges for people who illegally enter the United States multiple times or get married in order to gain legal status.

“For those that continue to seek improper and illegal entry into this country, be forewarned,” Sessions said in remarks prepared for delivery. “This is a new era. This is the Trump era.”
He continued: “The lawlessness, the abdication of the duty to enforce our immigration laws, and the catch and release practices of old are over.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/jeff-sessions-immigration-crackdown-237109

Jeff Sessions was the man on illegal immigration.  Too bad that his character has been judged as a fallout of the Mueller Investigation.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 07:38:23 pm »
That's too bad because Jeff Sessions was doing what he promised to reign in illegal immigration.  He was taking a hard line against MS-13 and illegal immigrants.  His only issue was that he recused himself.  Which BTW Trumps lap dog Lindsey Graham advised him to do.

PoliticsTrump Administration
Jeff Sessions’ law enforcement legacy overshadowed by Trump’s fury

WASHINGTON — To Jeff Sessions, President Donald Trump was the man who could do no wrong. To Trump, Sessions was the attorney general who could do no right.
On questions of immigration, police work, and civil rights, the president could hardly find a more eager champion of his administration’s policies.
But on the issue that seemed to matter most to the president — protecting him and his White House from the criminal investigation into 2016 election interference by Russia — Sessions recused himself shortly after becoming the attorney general.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?action=post;topic=366207.0;last_msg=1996101

Had he stuck with Jeff Session we probably would have made great strides in enforcing the law and stopping the flow of illegal immigration.  Jeff Sessions was the guy.  But Donald and his Mueller investigation has always taken center stage and hindered his ability to do what he said he would do.  And funny...…….yes funny but Donald doesn't have the hate for Nancy Pelosi that he seems to have for Jeff Sessions.  He lets her walk all over him.

I don't recall Sessions doing anything with MS-13 nor illegal immigration while he was AG.  Perhaps because the focus was on his recusal and his failure to do his job as AG in regards to reigning in Mueller and Rosenstein. He still had every obligation to oversee the DOJ, including Rosenstein and Mueller, instead he let them have the freedom to do whatever they pleased.  I also remember his testimony before Congress stating that basically Mueller/Rosenstein could/were basically investigating themselves.  Hardly doing the job of a competent AG.

IMHO, Trump should have swallowed his pride and appointed Cruz as AG and Sessions as head of DHS.  Trump selecting the correct people for the right job hasn't been his strong suit.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 07:41:59 pm »
I'm asking just out of curiosity @Chosen Daughter --- what issue before immigration did you focus on?

I just posted a thread where Ben Sasse slayed the abortion industry.  I guess that isn't yours though because I don't think you replied on that one.  Family.  Morality.  Conservative values.  Love of Country.  Love of law.  Belief that the Constitution has been the glue that has kept this country great.  Not Donald trump but the wisdom of the Founding Document that still has the ability to keep this country safe and great for its citizens.  But the erosion is becoming great, not the country.

Immigration was Trumps campaign promise.  Illegal immigration is killing this country. Trump is too busy trying to get Nancy's approval to do anything about it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 07:46:17 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 08:03:39 pm »
I don't recall Sessions doing anything with MS-13 nor illegal immigration while he was AG.  Perhaps because the focus was on his recusal and his failure to do his job as AG in regards to reigning in Mueller and Rosenstein. He still had every obligation to oversee the DOJ, including Rosenstein and Mueller, instead he let them have the freedom to do whatever they pleased.  I also remember his testimony before Congress stating that basically Mueller/Rosenstein could/were basically investigating themselves.  Hardly doing the job of a competent AG.

IMHO, Trump should have swallowed his pride and appointed Cruz as AG and Sessions as head of DHS.  Trump selecting the correct people for the right job hasn't been his strong suit.

You don't remember because everything that Sessions was working for was overshadowed by the Mueller Investigation.  As I said Lindsey Graham advised Sessions to recuse himself.  He thought it would be best.  Trump doesn't seem to have a problem with that. 

AG Jeff Sessions Takes Aim at 'Brutal' MS-13 Gang in Speech to Police Chiefs in Philadelphia
The designation directs officials to pursue all possible charges during prosecutions, including racketeering, gun and tax law violations
By NBC10 Staff and Wire Reports
Published Oct 23, 2017 at 9:35 AM | Updated at 8:08 PM EDT on Oct 23, 2017

Video:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/MS-13-Jeff-Sessions-Police-Chiefs-452477613.html

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 08:20:48 pm »
His original choice for AG was Giuliani, who had recommended Sessions and defended his reason for the recusal. Rudy also said he probably would have done the same. So, it sounds like we are still in position with DAG Rosenstein and back at square one.

On top of everything else, Sessions had announced his intention to recuse himself from any investigation involving Hillary. This occurred in the opening days of his confirmation hearing. Despite that, they allowed his nomination to stand, for an additional three weeks, before he was confirmed, by the Senate. That tells me there was never any seriousness about any investigations concerning her emails or any other matters. The fact he may recuse in future campaign related matters should not have been a surprise, at all.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:31:14 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 08:21:11 pm »

Graham: Sessions Should Recuse From Potential Campaign Investigations

J. Scott Applewhite/AP
By Matt Shuham
March 2, 2017 12:43 pm

Tierney Sneed contributed reporting.
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) said Thursday that Attorney General Jeff Sessions ought to recuse himself from any potential investigations based on contacts between the Trump campaign and Russia if evidence suggests a possible criminal prosecution, “because of [Sessions’] contacts with the campaign.”

“If there is a investigation at the FBI of Trump, Russia campaign activities, I want to know about it. I’m tired of reading about it in the paper,” Graham told reporters. “The FBI needs to let us know whether there is or there isn’t. If there’s not one, they need to come forward and say so. If there is one, we need to step aside and let it take its natural course.”
“If – if – there ever becomes enough evidence to suggest prosecution, or possible criminal prosecution of anybody based on the contacts, then somebody other than Attorney General Sessions should make that decision, because of his contacts with the campaign.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/lindsey-graham-sessions-should-recuse

But Trump loves Lindsey Graham.  What was done to Jeff Session was nothing but a political smear campaign.  What is really sad is that he took the job because he believed in Trump and his vision to MAGA.  He was all in on the desire to do the will of the people concerning illegal immigration.  He took the job and his name is now smeared.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:26:36 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Absalom

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 08:21:38 pm »
--------------------
Hmm............ you're not wrong yet consider its growth since the election!

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 08:23:50 pm »
His original choice for AG was Giuliani, who had recommended Sessions and defended his reason for the recusal. Rudy also said he probably would have done the same. So, it sounds like we are still in position with DAG Rosenstein and back at square one.

Yes him too.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 08:28:20 pm »
I can think of others that should have been do overs.  Like Amarosa and Cohen. 

OMAROSA
‏
Verified account

@OMAROSA
Follow
Follow @OMAROSA

More
OMAROSA Retweeted The New York Times
Follow the  money...
OMAROSA added,

The New York Times
Verified account

@nytimes
Deutsche Bank employees charged with spotting illicit activity repeatedly encountered potentially suspicious transactions by companies controlled by President Trump and his family members. But bank managers dismissed the concerns as unwarranted. https://nyti.ms/2VMn62R
Show this thread
9:42 AM - 19 May 2019

https://twitter.com/OMAROSA

She's still at it!

Justice DepartmentPublished May 6
Michael Cohen swipes at Trump as he reports to prison: ‘There still remains much to be told’

Excerpt:

Briefly addressing reporters outside his New York City apartment earlier in the morning, Cohen said: "There still remains much to be told and I look forward to the day that I can share the truth."

He also took a final swing at Trump, suggesting he hopes the 2020 election ousts him. “I hope that when I rejoin my family and friends that the country will be in place without xenophobia, injustice and lies at helm of our country,” he said.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michael-cohen-reports-prison

Ouch!  I think that might be a do over priority.  But that was his long time liberal friend and lawyer.  And Amorosa was that pretty woman on the reality show.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:07:10 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 11:34:09 pm »
How about enthusiastically supporting the confirmation of Eric Holder as AG?

Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, for example, said he was sure that Mr. Holder would be “a responsible legal officer and not a politician.”  https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/us/politics/03holder.html

Let's face it, he is a noble conservative who is daft when it comes to discernment of people whether it be Holder or Rosenstein.  That trait is likely what is most important to lead as AG so we proved very weak at the job.  Talking about what needs to be done but not getting the action needed to get it done.

Senators by and large make lousy administrators of Departments or high position in the Executive branch.  They basically are hired as Senators in order to offer an opinion and not to lead a staff of thousands of people and the responsibility attached to it like a Governor of a State does.  Some Senators like Teddy Kennedy are wrong 99% of the time but stay in office anyway. 

That's why few Senators have been elected to the Presidency.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 11:50:43 pm »
Sessions was an absentee AG. Whether he showed up to work (which nobody really knows for sure), or whether he was on vacation in the Bahamas for two years is exactly the same outcome. Sessions was nothing more than a ghost employee.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 11:52:17 pm »
How about enthusiastically supporting the confirmation of Eric Holder as AG?

Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, for example, said he was sure that Mr. Holder would be “a responsible legal officer and not a politician.”  https://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/us/politics/03holder.html

Let's face it, he is a noble conservative who is daft when it comes to discernment of people whether it be Holder or Rosenstein.  That trait is likely what is most important to lead as AG so we proved very weak at the job.  Talking about what needs to be done but not getting the action needed to get it done.

Senators by and large make lousy administrators of Departments or high position in the Executive branch.  They basically are hired as Senators in order to offer an opinion and not to lead a staff of thousands of people and the responsibility attached to it like a Governor of a State does.  Some Senators like Teddy Kennedy are wrong 99% of the time but stay in office anyway. 

That's why few Senators have been elected to the Presidency.

Perhaps why Real Estate developers shouldn't be president too.  Because if you were going to judge people in this manner you would see Trump doesn't hold up either.  Look at every bad character judgment that Trump has made.  Just saying.  But here is another look at Sessions and Holder.

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2017/03/09/jeff-sessions-special-counsel-appropriate-eric-holder-loretta-lynch/

Oh, and I couldn't read the New York Times Article you posted.  I don't have a membership.  But trump was supposed to hire the best.  If we went back and looked at all the praise he gave people he hired and fired I am sure you could agree that this comment I made was true.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:00:09 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 12:31:34 am »

Perhaps why Real Estate developers shouldn't be president too.  Because if you were going to judge people in this manner you would see Trump doesn't hold up either.  Look at every bad character judgment that Trump has made.  Just saying.  But here is another look at Sessions and Holder.

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2017/03/09/jeff-sessions-special-counsel-appropriate-eric-holder-loretta-lynch/

Oh, and I couldn't read the New York Times Article you posted.  I don't have a membership.  But trump was supposed to hire the best.  If we went back and looked at all the praise he gave people he hired and fired I am sure you could agree that this comment I made was true.
This is an article about Sessions' suitability as AG, not Trumps' suitability as President.

Sessions talks the good talk but has competency deficiencies in abilities in implementing those actions, and in of personnel discernment.

Both deficiencies are highlighted within the article you submitted: the former in his inability to have any concrete action against Holder in spite of his talk about doing it, and his original endorsement of him as a man of character who would not be a politician.

No one said he was not a good conservative, he just insufficient ability for the job he was chosen for as AG.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline corbe

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 12:49:10 am »
   I'd bet good $$$ that Sessions rue the day he left the Cruz canoe for the Trump Train.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 12:51:55 am »
   I'd bet good $$$ that Sessions rue the day he left the Cruz canoe for the Trump Train.

He sold his soul to the devils and he has to live with that.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 12:31:34 pm »

Speaking of butthurt, if the President had answered the question by saying there are no "do overs" there are several right here in Briefer City who would have been all over him for that answer.   

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 12:36:37 pm »
Stay classy, Trump. What an ascheloche.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 01:27:22 pm »
Speaking of butthurt, if the President had answered the question by saying there are no "do overs" there are several right here in Briefer City who would have been all over him for that answer.   

Saying there are no do-overs would be in keeping with his carefully crafted image of perfection.  Trump doesn't make mistakes, you know.

Instead he just  showed himself to be vindictive and petty.  Good call, Trump.   :facepalm2:

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 02:28:15 pm »
He sold his soul to the devils and he has to live with that.

Interesting choice of words.  Maybe he isn't the only one.  But if you go back and look at early reports about Session as AG it appears he was just wanting to serve his country.