Author Topic: Young People on Both Sides of the Aisle Find Ocasio-Cortez’s Comments Appalling  (Read 640 times)

rangerrebew

Young People on Both Sides of the Aisle Find Ocasio-Cortez’s Comments Appalling

By PoliZette Staff | June 20, 2019

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), the young progressive lawmaker with a penchant for calling attention to herself, kicked off a firestorm on Tuesday by calling migrant detention facilities on the southern border between the U.S. and Mexico “concentration camps.”

“This administration has established concentration camps on the southern border,” she said — then doubling down on those comments in an Instagram live video.

Many people reacted almost immediately with outrage and condemnation — including the World Center For Holocaust Research.

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/young-people-on-both-sides-of-the-aisle-find-ocasio-cortezs-comments-appalling/?utm_campaign=TPI06202019safternoon&utm_source=criticalimpact-&utm_medium=email&utm_content=4371d3fdbb69c3b8a6473c7b9fa19141&source=CI
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:18:55 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline The_Reader_David

The outrage against AOC should be directed at her adding "never again", not at her using the words "concentration camps". 

It is actually historically illiterate to regard "concentration camp" as equivalent to "death camp" or "extermination camp".  The original concentration camps (to which the name was first applied) were outdoor prisons used by the British to deal with the Boers during the Boer Wars and were not intended for the purpose of mass murder, but only to control the Boers by concentrating them in prison-like conditions, just as the detention centers are intended to control illegal immigrants by concentrating them in prison-like conditions.  She is also correct in applying the phrase to the detention camps for Japanese-Americans during WWII: they also followed the original British model without adding mass murder as the Nazis.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
"historically illiterate"

That's the bartender in a nutshell.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline LottieDah

I worked with a man of Puerto Rican descent who claims AOC is a "strong woman".  He must be one of the clueless souls who voted for her.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I worked with a man of Puerto Rican descent who claims AOC is a "strong woman".  He must be one of the clueless souls who voted for her.

I know a lot of strong women.  One of them married me.   AOCis nowhere near strong.... just very offensive.  Don't confuse the two.

Full disclosure Mrs Ghost is of PR decent. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:56:07 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

He must be an effing moron.

Offline LottieDah

#Ed James

Either he is an effing moron or his wife and daughters have his 'nads in a vice.  I vote for the former -- he is an effing moron!

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
#Ed James

Either he is an effing moron or his wife and daughters have his 'nads in a vice.  I vote for the former -- he is an effing moron!

888high58888