Author Topic: Roy Moore says he will run for Senate in Alabama  (Read 7468 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Roy Moore says he will run for Senate in Alabama
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2019, 03:28:39 am »
When Todd Akin shot himself in the foot and allowed Claire McCaskill to get re-elected, we did not insist on forcing Akin on the state again. When Richard Mourdock's words were taken out of context, costing the GOP another seat, Indiana did not give him a second chance.

They went with other candidates. Those candidates won. And that's in swing states. That should be the path forward we're taking.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2019, 06:36:01 am »
When Todd Akin shot himself in the foot and allowed Claire McCaskill to get re-elected, we did not insist on forcing Akin on the state again. When Richard Mourdock's words were taken out of context, costing the GOP another seat, Indiana did not give him a second chance.

They went with other candidates. Those candidates won. And that's in swing states. That should be the path forward we're taking.
We who? You from Alabama?

This is and remains the purview of folks from Alabama.

If they want to right the egregious wrongs done to Roy Moore last time, they can do so, and right the wrong done to their state by out of State interest groups, from the Homonazis to the GOPe.
It's up to Alabamans.
It is their call.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2019, 01:33:46 pm »

If they want to right the egregious wrongs done to Roy Moore last time, they can do so, and right the wrong done to their state by out of State interest groups, from the Homonazis to the GOPe.
It's up to Alabamans.
It is their call.

I get it, but we do have a right to our own opinion. I seem to recall a lot of people here sure loved to butt in the Kentucky Senate race when Bevin against McConnell ran and same thing with the Mississippi race McDoofus ran against Cochran.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2019, 01:48:44 pm »
Some of Moore’s biggest supporters are also in favor of repealing the 17th Amendment. Blame the DC swamp all you like, but if the AL legislature chose Senators, the original way, Moore wouldn’t be on the short list.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2019, 02:00:08 pm »

It's up to Alabamans.
It is their call.
We conservatives, Republican and otherwise.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2019, 02:06:51 pm »
Some of Moore’s biggest supporters are also in favor of repealing the 17th Amendment. Blame the DC swamp all you like, but if the AL legislature chose Senators, the original way, Moore wouldn’t be on the short list.

That would depend on whether the State Legislature in Alabama felt Judge Moore would best represent their interests in DC.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2019, 02:08:47 pm »
That would depend on whether the State Legislature in Alabama felt Judge Moore would best represent their interests in DC.

Thank you!  I am personally not at all sure he wouldn't be at the top of that list.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2019, 02:32:44 pm »

Normally, yes, but we know politicking isn’t that simple.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2019, 02:35:38 pm »

I'm in favor of repealing, although I'm not sure it would change the situation all that much.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2019, 03:01:27 pm »
I'm in favor of repealing, although I'm not sure it would change the situation all that much.

Over time it would have a great effect.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2019, 03:14:22 pm »
Over time it would have a great effect.

Don't you think that each party that controls state legislatures would just vote for the same people we have in there now?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2019, 03:17:31 pm »

Maybe he wouldn't in AL, but it would have an enormous impact on other states.  In AZ we would have two Republican Senators instead of the likely two Rats we'll have after 2020.  The State Legislature and Senate are overwhelmingly Republican.

It's like the argument of NPV vs Electoral College.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2019, 03:18:04 pm »

It's up to Alabamans.
It is their call.

Of course it is "up to Alabamans."    That's not the question.  The question is whether they will choose to nominate, for reasons of vanity and/or spite,  a candidate who will almost surely lose in the general election to the incumbent Democrat.    The rest of us, who will be directly affected if the Senate flips to the Dems, have a keen interest in what Alabama Republicans do,  and whether they are capable of thinking strategically.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2019, 03:18:13 pm »
Don't you think that each party that controls state legislatures would just vote for the same people we have in there now?

Initially perhaps, but over time the states would utilize the power they could, once again, exert on federal legislation.  K Street wouldn't care for that AT ALL.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 03:19:29 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2019, 03:26:01 pm »

No, I don't.  My example is my state, and we would certainly not have the same people.  The legislature would never have picked a bi-sexual commie.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2019, 03:28:05 pm »
Maybe he wouldn't in AL, but it would have an enormous impact on other states.  In AZ we would have two Republican Senators instead of the likely two Rats we'll have after 2020.  The State Legislature and Senate are overwhelmingly Republican.

It's like the argument of NPV vs Electoral College.

NPV will always be Net Present Value to me....

:shrug:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2019, 05:07:35 pm »
Of course it is "up to Alabamans."    That's not the question.  The question is whether they will choose to nominate, for reasons of vanity and/or spite,  a candidate who will almost surely lose in the general election to the incumbent Democrat.    The rest of us, who will be directly affected if the Senate flips to the Dems, have a keen interest in what Alabama Republicans do,  and whether they are capable of thinking strategically.   
That really is not how to view Senate elections at all.  A Senator represents the state, so its issues.  Secondary is any national objective.

The diametric opposite is the election to the Senate of Hillary Clinton, who knew nothing about New York issues and did nothing for the state.  Her election was all about her and national prominence.  It really screwed New York citizens, but perhaps they got what they deserve.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:09:14 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2019, 05:53:15 pm »
Initially perhaps, but over time the states would utilize the power they could, once again, exert on federal legislation.  K Street wouldn't care for that AT ALL.
The state legislatures are all corrupted because of the One Man One Vote SCOTUS cases. Until we get true state senates again, it's pointless.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2019, 12:40:48 am »
The rest of us, who will be directly affected if the Senate flips to the Dems, have a keen interest in what Alabama Republicans do,  and whether they are capable of thinking strategically.   

Yeah, I saw how much most the rest of the forum cared about electing a solid conservative the last election. Strategically they shot themselves in the foot to put a democrat in office so the GOPe could continue to keep it's power in Congress.

It if funny, if Moore "does Not stand a chance"... why so much gnashing of teeth. Perhaps there is something else there... not being openly elaborated upon.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:34:31 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2019, 04:28:20 am »

It ain't that... It's the quick manner of recall.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2019, 04:31:54 am »

YEP. They'd have to lobby not only DC, but all 50 states... where their lobbying efforts would be much less effective and more costly.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2019, 01:10:40 pm »
YEP. They'd have to lobby not only DC, but all 50 states... where their lobbying efforts would be much less effective and more costly.
Exactly. Now they only have to buy half of the 535 to get their stuff in--at worst. It'd cost a lot more to grease the skids in 50 legislatures, or even 25, and people would start running up a who's who of the skid greasers pretty quick with internet and other capabilities. There'd be the potential to have a lot more sunlight on the process.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2019, 01:14:17 pm »
Exactly. Now they only have to buy half of the 535 to get their stuff in--at worst. It'd cost a lot more to grease the skids in 50 legislatures, or even 25, and people would start running up a who's who of the skid greasers pretty quick with internet and other capabilities. There'd be the potential to have a lot more sunlight on the process.

Right. Especially closer to home, with a governor whose job is dependent upon Joe Six-pack...

Mobedda.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2019, 01:27:20 pm »

So you are against repealing the 17th amendment.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2019, 01:30:07 pm »
Yeah, I saw how much most the rest of the forum cared about electing a solid conservative the last election. Strategically they shot themselves in the foot to put a democrat in office so the GOPe could continue to keep it's power in Congress.

It if funny, if Moore "does Not stand a chance"... why so much gnashing of teeth. Perhaps there is something else there... not being openly elaborated upon.

@Sighlass

You are quite correct.  There are a lot of things not being openly elaborated on.  I suspect that some of the reasons they are so anti-Moore are:

- that man is so icky, why does he ride a horse, doesn't he know that it is 2019?
- why does that man often have a gun with him?  (and even more awful he shows it in photographs!)
- why did that awful man have to go against the federal law (as made up from thin air by the scotus) and try to talk about a State Constitution?  No one wants to hear about such things....  doesn't he know that federal law is so much more important that what any backwater State says?
- why does he always wear one of those icky Western hats?  Doesn't he know what side of the Mississippi he is on?
- why does he go against the gays?  Doesn't he know that we have to pander to gays if we want to win elections?
- why does he have to live and die on these precious "principles?"  Doesn't he know that young voters don't care a whit about principles?
- why won't those ignorant Republicans in Alabama listen to us?  Don't they understand that we know better?
- why....

I could go on and on....