Author Topic: John Cornyn has never lost an election. He's trying to convince Texas Republicans that his streak is  (Read 623 times)

Online libertybele

He's right. TX is at risk for turning purple, and perhaps even blue.  The demographics of TX have changed and remaining 'red' is no longer a sure thing; that was evidenced by the Cruz/Beto senate race.

John Cornyn has never lost an election. He's trying to convince Texas Republicans that his streak is in jeopardy in 2020.

It may not be his own doing. After all, it should be counterintuitive to describe the most powerful Texan to serve in the U.S. Senate since Lyndon Johnson as a shrinking violet.

But Cornyn is an outlier within a generation of larger-than-life Texas politicians who have become national fixtures for smiling in mugshots, blowing up their own party’s national conventions in a hail of jeers, livestreaming road trips, bragging about snuffing out a coyote while jogging, or filibustering while wearing pink sneakers or reading Dr. Seuss.

It seems like flamboyance and ambition for higher office are historical prerequisites for any Texan serving in an office as high profile as the U.S. Senate.

“I’m none of those things,” Cornyn laughed in a recent interview.

There is no ghostwritten Cornyn memoir. His ego does not seem to live and die on how many times he appears on Sunday morning talk shows. And he’s never launched a presidential bid, exploratory campaign or even a vice presidential lobbying effort.

“I haven’t run for president,” he said. “My wife told me if I decided to run for president, I needed to get a new wife. And I’ve been married 39 years, and I’m not going to go down that path.”

It is that understated quality — what some observers describe as “boring,” “vanilla” and “not Ted Cruz” — that lends so much uncertainty to his 2020 reelection campaign.

But Cornyn's calmness may also prove to be his greatest asset amid potential Texas political tumult. He is the de facto leader of state Republicans this cycle, with his name set to appear on the 2020 ballot below only the presidential contest.

And from this perch, Cornyn, despite his usually steady manner, is cranking the alarm as loudly as he can to his fellow Texas Republicans.

“We are, I think, no longer the reliably red state we have been,” he said. “We are at risk of turning purple. And if we don’t do our job, then we could turn blue in the coming years. “

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06/19/john-cornyn-no-ted-cruz-does-he-face-tough-texas-re-election/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Well maybe if he'd acted more like a Republican Senator from Texas and not a Beltway Swamp Rat from Northern Virginia he wouldn't have to worry.

I seriously hope and pray someone from the right primaries him.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Idiot

Well maybe if he'd acted more like a Republican Senator from Texas and not a Beltway Swamp Rat from Northern Virginia he wouldn't have to worry.

I seriously hope and pray someone from the right primaries him.
:amen:

Offline dfwgator

He will lose if he is the nominee.

Offline roamer_1

It ain't none of my business, y'all.

But if there was ever a politician that needs to be put out to pasture, it would be this one.

Online libertybele

Obviously, I am not informed.  Here I thought Cornyn was a good conservative.  Looks like I was wrong.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It ain't none of my business, y'all.

But if there was ever a politician that needs to be put out to pasture, it would be this one.

It is my business and I couldn't agree more with what you said.  John Cornyn is a  self serving POS.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

It is my business and I couldn't agree more with what you said.  John Cornyn is a  self serving POS.

That's right.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

What about Dan Crenshaw offering a primary challenge?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I would have no problem with this at all.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

Obviously, I am not informed.  Here I thought Cornyn was a good conservative.  Looks like I was wrong.

His campaign commercials tell a far different story than his actual votes. He's really good at gaming the system.

His current "Liberty Score" from Conservative Review:

F 33%

https://www.conservativereview.com/scorecard/john-cornyn/
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

it would be more of a certainty if it were Greg Abbott, the most popular politician in Texas.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dancer

His campaign commercials tell a far different story than his actual votes. He's really good at gaming the system.

His current "Liberty Score" from Conservative Review:

F 33%

It's also important to watch closely what they did or did NOT vote for.  Many have decent scores because they vote R on run of the mill issues, but when it really counts, they join the Democrats. 

https://www.conservativereview.com/scorecard/john-cornyn/