Author Topic: Will Texans give up gun rights to get medical marijuana? Federal government says they have to  (Read 1190 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CBE June 19, 2019

AUSTIN — For years, Joshua Raines has been using marijuana illegally to treat the epilepsy and PTSD he developed during his five years in the Army. His diagnosis was set off after suffering a traumatic brain injury during a bomb explosion while in Afghanistan.

Raines, 31, has been eligible for a legal prescription of medical marijuana since 2015, when Texas lawmakers approved the Compassionate Use Program for patients with intractable epilepsy.

But Raines, who lives in Springtown, about an hour west of Dallas, has resisted seeking out a prescription. If he did, the veteran and Purple Heart recipient would give up his right to purchase a gun.

More: https://www.cannabisbusinessexecutive.com/2019/06/will-texans-give-up-gun-rights-to-get-medical-marijuana-federal-government-says-they-have-to/

Offline rustynail

He just gave up his rights by talking.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Time for the stoners to make a choice.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Cannabis could be the key to treating people with PTSD

https://healthcareinamerica.us/cannabis-key-treating-ptsd-b4abf432215

A study conducted by NYU Langone Medical Center researchers showed that people suffering from PTSD have much lower levels of a neurotransmitter called anandamide than others. Anandamide is one of the body’s primary endocannabinoids, meaning natural cannabinoids produced by the body. These operate in a similar way to cannabis by stimulating the endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for core functions such as mood, happiness, fear, and anxiety.

Essentially, anandamides operate as a natural antidepressant and can also impair memory as well. CB1 cannabinoid receptors in the body help turn off traumatic memories so that people can essentially stop paying attention to them. Lack of endocannabinoids such as anandamides can also serve to induce symptoms of PTSD such as anxiety and fear

Lead author Dr. Alexander Neumeister stated, “There’s a consensus among clinicians that existing pharmaceutical treatments such as antidepressant simply do not work. In fact, we know very well that people with PTSD who use marijuana — a potent cannabinoid — often experience more relief from their symptoms than they do from antidepressants and other psychiatric medications. Clearly, there’s a very urgent need to develop novel evidence-based treatments for PTSD.”

Controlling the after effects

Cannabis can also serve to minimize or prevent nightmares that frequently occur in those suffering from PTSD. Not only that, but PTSD triggers intense stress that places a person in a constant state of awareness and tension, making it very difficult to get any sleep.

By reducing REM sleep and the vivid dreams that occur during this stage, this can allow cannabis to relieve any recurring nightmares that are associated with PTSD.

In fact, a study was conducted to test this hypothesis by utilizing a cannabinoid receptor stimulant called nabilone. This involved 47 patients who despite using antidepressants and seeing a psychiatrist regularly, continued to have recurring nightmares. Following treatment, 72% of patients stopped having nightmares or had their severity drastically reduced.

More at link.

I cannot fathom how treating our Veterans with Marijuana should be cause for them to lose their 2nd Amendment rights.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Federal law complicates medical marijuana for veterans

https://www.abc17news.com/news/federal-law-complicates-medical-marijuana-for-veterans/1080111043

A disabled Air Force veteran, who wants to remain anonymous because marijuana is still illegal to use in any form in Missouri, says he currently uses it for medicinal purposes. He says his chronic pain treatment got out-of-hand.

“They increased my medicine again. One doctor called it a 'life-threatening dose,' I was on 360 oxycodone a month," the man said. "And then they give you all the supporting medicines that go along with that like one for sleep, one to keep you up, one for your mood. And so you end up with just a big grocery bag full of medicine every month."

A disabled U.S. Army veteran, who also wishes to remain anonymous, says she too got upside-down in her prescription drug treatments for multiple sclerosis. She said, “I was taking a lot. I was taking the medication for the MS, which was an injection, and I had reactions (to the injection). I was taking in one day about 30 pills, and an injection. And I just I said I can't do this anymore."

Both veterans say they use marijuana medicinally and that it has helped alleviate their many symptoms and improved their quality of life.

A study published in the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs in 2014 showed patients with post-traumatic stress disorder experienced a 75 percent decrease in their symptoms using medical marijuana.

Online roamer_1

Federal law complicates medical marijuana for veterans

https://www.abc17news.com/news/federal-law-complicates-medical-marijuana-for-veterans/1080111043

**I am not a veteran** BUT,
Been there done that.
I don't do dope, but I understand those that do for pain relief. And I would never hold it from them.
Whatever works, you know?

And how is it any different or any better being jacked up on morphine?
Same dang thing.

Me, if I get into an episode, I just get drunk.
Works for me.