Author Topic: Joy Harjo is the Firsr Native American U.S Poet Laureate  (Read 247 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Joy Harjo is the Firsr Native American U.S Poet Laureate
« on: June 19, 2019, 12:51:56 pm »
Joy Harjo Becomes The First Native American U.S. Poet Laureate
A member of the Muskogee Creek Nation, the 68-year-old poet and musician says she bears "the honor on behalf of the people and my ancestors," and aims to serve as an "ambassador" of the art form.

Poet, writer and musician Joy Harjo — a member of the Muskogee Creek Nation — often draws on Native American stories, languages and myths. But she says that she's not self-consciously trying to bring that material into her work. If anything, it's the other way around.

"I think the culture is bringing me into it with poetry — that it's part of me," Harjo says in an interview with NPR's Lynn Neary. "I don't think about it ... And so it doesn't necessarily become a self-conscious thing — it's just there ... when you grow up as a person in your culture: You have your culture and you're in it, but you're also in this American culture, and that's another layer."

Harjo, 68, will represent both her Indigenous culture and those of the United States of America when she succeeds Tracy K. Smith as the country's 23rd Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry (that's the official title) this fall. Her term, announced today by Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden, will make her the first Native American poet to serve in the position.

https://www.npr.org/sections/books-news-features
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:53:03 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️