Author Topic: GOP senators caught off guard by Shanahan withdrawal  (Read 191 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

GOP senators caught off guard by Shanahan withdrawal
« on: June 18, 2019, 08:56:51 pm »
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/449158-gop-senators-caught-off-guard-by-shanahan-withdrawal

Republican senators quickly backed Patrick Shanahan's decision to withdraw his nomination to be the permanent Defense secretary in the wake of multiple reports describing past domestic violence incidents involving his family, with some voicing surprise at the allegations.

GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.), a top ally of President Trump, called the move Tuesday a "smart decision," adding that he hadn't heard about the domestic violence allegations "in detail" but had heard "rumors about them."

"It probably was a smart decision given the issues before the White House. ... I really appreciate what Shanahan has done," Graham told reporters. "Now we have got to find a replacement."

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), the chairman of the Armed Services Committee, said he was in the dark about the fact that Trump and Shanahan were discussing pulling the nomination, and had told reporters only minutes before that the Defense secretary pick was safe despite reports of trouble.

"I was responding not more than two hours ago that no there's no problem ... then three minutes after that I got a call from the president," Inhofe said.

more at link...

Jennifer Rubin @JRubinBlogger

1. Pick someone unqualified 2. Don't vet him 3. Let him twist in the wind until the press has it 4. Don't inform Congress 5. Withdraw and look like bunch of clowns. Repeat.