Author Topic: As promised, Trump slashes aid to Central America over migrants  (Read 510 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

As promised, Trump slashes aid to Central America over migrants
Reuters, Jun 17, 2019

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration on Monday cut hundreds of millions of dollars in aid to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, after Trump blasted the three countries because thousands of their citizens had sought asylum at the U.S. border with Mexico.

Lawmakers, including some of Trump’s fellow Republicans as well as Democrats, have chafed against the president’s repeated decisions to disregard spending bills passed by Congress, some of which he has signed into law himself.

[...]

Congressional aides said the administration told them it would reallocate $370 million in aid to Central America that lawmakers had approved for fiscal 2018, and suspend an additional $180 million Congress had approved for fiscal 2017.

The administration said in March it would cut aid to the three countries after Trump expressed unhappiness with the their immigration policies.

More:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-trump/as-promised-trump-slashes-aid-to-central-america-over-migrants-idUSKCN1TI2C7

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:31:07 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Online libertybele

Re: As promised, Trump slashes aid to Central America over migrants
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 01:46:26 am »
??? Gee ... that'll fix 'em.  We're already paying to support hundreds of thousands that are already here and will continue to support them once they are granted asylum.  They will continue to come until Trump declares a moratorium on ALL migration and asylum to this country and secures the border.

Oh, that's right.  The 'new' and improved Mexican army is taking care of everything.   *****rollingeyes*****
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 03:48:55 am »
Say "tariff" and Mexico's sending troops to their border, finding truckloads of illegals, helping us find drug labs and destroying 13 acres of marijuana.

Close the checkbook and Guatemala raises its hand to sign a Safe Third Country Agreement. 

88devil

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 04:12:09 am »
Say "tariff" and Mexico's sending troops to their border, finding truckloads of illegals, helping us find drug labs and destroying 13 acres of marijuana.

Close the checkbook and Guatemala raises its hand to sign a Safe Third Country Agreement. 

88devil

Jury is out on what the troops are there to do.  Obrador said they are just there for safety.  Mexico just turned themselves into a big babysitting country.  They aren't going to stop them they are holding them so we can process the asylum claims.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:12:24 am »
Jury is out on what the troops are there to do.  Obrador said they are just there for safety.  Mexico just turned themselves into a big babysitting country.  They aren't going to stop them they are holding them so we can process the asylum claims.

By holding them within their borders Mexico IS stopping them.  Would you prefer they wait for their asylum hearing in your backyard; or melt into the shadows?

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 11:21:03 am »
By holding them within their borders Mexico IS stopping them.  Would you prefer they wait for their asylum hearing in your backyard; or melt into the shadows?

To think that many aren't 'melting' into the shadows is wishful thinking.  Waiting for processing of asylum??  Many are still not being processed and making it in.

If indeed Mexico is holding them, how long do you think it is going to be before their 'holding' facilities overflow??  Our border agents/facilities are overwhelmed and at capacity.  When Mexico and the U.S. both become overwhelmed, what do you think is going to happen?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:22:35 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 11:26:50 am »
If indeed Mexico is holding them, how long do you think it is going to be before their 'holding' facilities overflow??  Our border agents/facilities are overwhelmed and at capacity.  When Mexico and the U.S. both become overwhelmed, what do you think is going to happen?

My apologies, @libertybele   For a moment I forgot we are doomed.  Thanks for the early morning reminder.

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 11:29:42 am »

88devil

Come on @Right_in_Virginia as as I posted before, one of the 'truckload' of illegals fled into the bushes and 25 out of the several hundred were detained.  25??? Out of how many 100's of thousands have already made there way here?

People are fleeing both Mexico and Guatemala; do you really think that they are going to be considered a 'safe country' or sign up to be one?? 

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:07 am »
My apologies, @libertybele   For a moment I forgot we are doomed.  Thanks for the early morning reminder.

Good morning to ya @Right_in_Virginia.  Glad I could make your morning!!  Thanks for reminding me that I really need to keep my head buried in the sand, ignore the reality of the situation, and look at it through rose colored glasses.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 11:38:14 am »
 ***hair on fire ***hair on fire ***hair on fire

That one earns 3 hairs on fire.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 11:42:28 am »
As promised, Trump slashes aid to Central America over migrants
Reuters, Jun 17, 2019

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration on Monday cut hundreds of millions of dollars in aid to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, after Trump blasted the three countries because thousands of their citizens had sought asylum at the U.S. border with Mexico.

The State Department said that after a review of more than $615 million in assistance that President Donald Trump ordered in March to be cut entirely, it would go ahead with $432 million in projects and grants that had been previously approved. The remaining amount will be held in escrow pending consultations with Congress, it said.

https://www.apnews.com/0eaa42865d974e46ba04a51e21e1a81b

That lasted almost a whole day.    *****rollingeyes*****
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 11:42:59 am »
Come on @Right_in_Virginia as as I posted before, one of the 'truckload' of illegals fled into the bushes and 25 out of the several hundred were detained.  25??? Out of how many 100's of thousands have already made there way here?

People are fleeing both Mexico and Guatemala; do you really think that they are going to be considered a 'safe country' or sign up to be one??

Your work here is done @libertybele   Your unrelenting efforts have convinced me:  We are doomed.  There is nothing we can do.  Anything outside the box is a ridiculous waste of time, merely prolonging our wait for the inevitable.  I raise my fist with yours and curse the universe .... oh, and of course, Trump. 

Well done, Sista, keep educating the masses!!

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 11:53:05 am »

Your work here is done @libertybele   Your unrelenting efforts have convinced me:  We are doomed.  There is nothing we can do.  Anything outside the box is a ridiculous waste of time, merely prolonging our wait for the inevitable.  I raise my fist with yours and curse the universe .... oh, and of course, Trump. 

Well done, Sista, keep educating the masses!!

@Right_in_Virginia not trying to 'spread' doom, only the reality of the situation which you choose to either ignore or fail to acknowledge is all.  If you want to believe everything that Trump 'tweets' or don't what to look at the entire picture -- have at it!

Not here to derail the thread by having a ***** match with you.  happy77

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 01:45:22 pm »

This is nothing new.  They were holding them there before until these caravans organize and storm the border.  Its like opening a lolli pop and licking on it.  Wrap it back up and pretend its new.   We've seen it all along.  What's new about this?  Its stupid.  At the rate they come in and we know our border cannot stop them from coming.  How do you expect it to work?  It hasn't.

The Mexican president said the troops are not to stop them.  The troops are to provide safety.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 01:50:43 pm »
Good morning to ya @Right_in_Virginia.  Glad I could make your morning!!  Thanks for reminding me that I really need to keep my head buried in the sand, ignore the reality of the situation, and look at it through rose colored glasses.

Wrong shades, @libertybele . You need those Orange MAGA shades, available for purchase at trumpamazingsunglasses.com.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online libertybele

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 05:48:25 pm »

This is nothing new.  They were holding them there before until these caravans organize and storm the border.  Its like opening a lolli pop and licking on it.  Wrap it back up and pretend its new.   We've seen it all along.  What's new about this?  Its stupid.  At the rate they come in and we know our border cannot stop them from coming.  How do you expect it to work?  It hasn't.

The Mexican president said the troops are not to stop them.  The troops are to provide safety.

Nothing new, except the idea is being sold as something new.

Online libertybele

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 05:52:59 pm »
Wrong shades, @libertybele . You need those Orange MAGA shades, available for purchase at trumpamazingsunglasses.com.

No orange  :shrug:

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 05:55:48 pm »
Until we elect a Congress that vows to end this nonsense, America will continue to be destroyed.

Democomies are the single greatest threat to the sovereignty of this nation.  If Joe Biden wants violence, I sure hope the right people are sent packing!