Author Topic: Harvard rescinds admission to Parkland survivor Kyle Kashuv  (Read 2051 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://nypost.com/2019/06/17/harvard-rescinds-admission-to-parkland-survivor-over-racist-comments/

A survivor of the Parkland school massacre in Florida said Monday that Harvard University has rescinded his acceptance over racist comments the teen made in the months before the 2018 shooting.

“Three months after being admitted to Harvard Class of 2023, Harvard has decided to rescind my admission over texts and comments made nearly two years ago, months prior to the shooting,” Kyle Kashuv, 18, tweeted.

Kashuv said he “was made aware of egregious and callous comments” he and his classmates at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School made “privately” — “in an attempt to be as extreme and shocking as possible.”

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Harvard rescinds admission to Parkland survivor Kyle Kashuv
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:42:42 pm »
He should probably be grateful that they don't want him.

How much "learnin'" is really taught at Harvard these days...?
(that's posed as a serious question)

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 12:00:28 pm »
Parkland shooting survivor says Harvard rescinded his admission over racial slurs he made two years ago

By Joe Sterling, CNN

Updated 4:32 PM ET, Mon June 17, 2019

(CNN)A Parkland shooting survivor and pro-Second Amendment activist said Harvard University rescinded his acceptance as a result of racist remarks he made before the 2018 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida.

Kyle Kashuv disclosed the rescinding Monday in a Twitter thread, acknowledging that he and classmates, then 16, made "abhorrent racial slurs" in digital messages almost two years ago "in an effort to be as extreme and shocking as possible."

He wrote an apology for his remarks and posted a screenshot of what appears to be a June 3 letter from Harvard Dean of Admissions William Fitzsimmons, rescinding his admission.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/us/harvard-parkland-student-kashuv-trnd/index.html

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 12:30:07 pm »
So I guess he now has to go to a good school.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 02:17:41 pm »
He should probably be grateful that they don't want him.

How much "learnin'" is really taught at Harvard these days...?
(that's posed as a serious question)

I personally know/knew two Harvard graduates.  One was a high school classmate.  At the 15th class reunion, he went around telling anyone who would listen that he was a graduate of "Haw-vuud"  -- even had a phony, sorta New England accent.  The guy was insufferable.

The other one was senior partner at the first law firm I worked for.  He was as dumb as a rock.   The other lawyers in the firm, most of whom went to state university law schools, probably knew more about the law than he did. 

I'm sure there are a number of fine graduates from Harvard and other Ivy League schools.  But graduating from a prestigious university does not make a person any better or smarter than anyone else.  These days I wouldn't recommend sending kids to any college or university -- most are brainwashing institutions that indoctrinate rather than teach -- but I maintain that if a kid wants a college or university education, there is nothing wrong with a non-Ivy League institution.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 02:30:27 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 02:34:20 pm »
I personally know/knew two Harvard graduates.  One was a high school classmate.  At the 15th class reunion, he went around telling anyone who would listen that he was a graduate of "Haw-vuud"  -- even had a phony, sorta New England accent.  The guy was insufferable.

The other one was senior partner at the first law firm I worked for.  He was as dumb as a rock.   The other lawyers in the firm, most of whom went to state university law schools, probably knew more about the law than he did. 

I'm sure there are a number of fine graduates from Harvard and other Ivy League schools.  But graduating from a prestigious university does not make a person any better or smarter than anyone else.  These days I wouldn't recommend sending kids to any college or university -- most are brainwashing institutions that indoctrinate rather than teach -- but I maintain that if a kid wants a college or university education, there is nothing wrong with a non-Ivy League institution.

Harvard has done a lot to degrade their own status as an"elite College."  Top-notch intelligence now takes a back seat to racial "diversity." 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 02:44:32 pm »
So I guess he now has to go to a good school.

Online rustynail

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »
He should study up on Admiral Boorda.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 02:19:13 am »

That's the problem. Harvard degrees are an instant admission to just about any career path one wants. It really shouldn't matter, if the basic accreditation is the same, what name is on the degree.

But Harvard in particular... you get shortcuts. You don't have to pay your dues, work your way up the hard way. The name on the diploma still matters more than what you learned, and what you learn usually isn't that special. Even the ones that don't graduate seem to benefit (Gates, Zuckerberg).

Harvard, all for a private conversation taken out of context by a spiteful classmate, just ruined this kid's life. It's not that he can't recover from this, but he will never have the opportunities he would have had, had Harvard honored its word.

If you want to start talking about secret societies, look at Harvard graduates.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 04:12:39 am »
It will not be instantaneous, but the value of elite educations, seems on the decline. With stuff like this, stuff like SJWs and identity politics, Evergreen tuff,

And admission scandals, and parents waking up to realize their kid is $250,000 in debt, has a lousy job or no job,

and a significant portion of society looking down on their snobbery.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 07:22:16 am »

@Applewood

A degree from Harvard doesn't impress me at all.

On the other hand,a degree from MIT does.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 12:19:25 pm »
@Applewood

A degree from Harvard doesn't impress me at all.

On the other hand,a degree from MIT does.

I agree.  At least at MIT, students graduate knowing something useful instead of all that social justice/diversity/victimhood BS.  I don't expect an MIT graduate will end up as a "community organizer" or "activist."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 05:20:30 pm »
I agree.  At least at MIT, students graduate knowing something useful instead of all that social justice/diversity/victimhood BS.  I don't expect an MIT graduate will end up as a "community organizer" or "activist."

@Applewood

I suspect there are VERY few Trust Fund Children who were born into wealth going to MIT. People go to MIT to be able to learn to do important work,not for a hobby.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 05:32:55 pm »
@Applewood

I suspect there are VERY few Trust Fund Children who were born into wealth going to MIT. People go to MIT to be able to learn to do important work,not for a hobby.

@sneakypete  A scientist I worked with got her BS at MIT, then did her Graduate work at Stanford.  She had choice words for trust-fund kids.  She got her PhD in Electrical Engineering.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 07:49:50 pm »
@Applewood

My understanding is that an applicant has to already have a superior academic record, particularly in the sciences,  to get in.  No Trust Fund kids, no bribes like the recent scandal.  If you don't have the "chops," you are rejected. 

Stumbled upon this while looking up other things:

A score in the range of 2120 - 2350 on the SAT exam, or 33 - 35 on the ACT exam is among the 25th - 75th percentile range among accepted students. Based on sampled GPA data collected and applied, it is estimated that the MIT average GPA range for accepted students is around 3.90 - 4. The acceptance rate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology is considered highly competitive, with only 8 percent of students which applied being accepted. Based on historical acceptance rate data, the projected MIT acceptance rate 2015 is estimated to be 9%.

www.acceptancerate.com/schools/massachusetts-institute-of-technology

Needless to say, David Hogg would not be accepted.  LOL

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 07:54:20 pm »

It is sad isn't it.  Attention Hogg gets in on a pass.  This kid gets in on merit but ousted by the PC police.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 08:00:37 pm »
Another Hah-Vahd alum......

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 08:30:36 pm »
It is sad isn't it.  Attention Hogg gets in on a pass.  This kid gets in on merit but ousted by the PC police.

Yep. What was his total SAT?  1200?  The punk should be lucky to get into a trade school.

By the way, is Piggy Boy actually in Harvard or is he still taking time off?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 09:22:01 pm »

By the way, is Piggy Boy actually in Harvard or is he still taking time off?

Very good question. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 09:59:28 pm »
My understanding is that an applicant has to already have a superior academic record, particularly in the sciences,  to get in.  No Trust Fund kids, no bribes like the recent scandal.  If you don't have the "chops," you are rejected.  Stumbled upon this while looking up other things:
www.acceptancerate.com/schools/massachusetts-institute-of-technology
@Applewood

Sent you a PM about this.  Add IQ test score so high, he was automatically placed in MENSA.  :beer: