Author Topic: Congress shirks its duty at the southern border  (Read 345 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Congress shirks its duty at the southern border
« on: June 17, 2019, 10:44:44 am »
Congress shirks its duty at the southern border
Washington Examiner, Jun 17, 2019

The Trump administration is doing just about everything it can to slow the flood of undocumented Mexicans and Central Americans coming to the U.S. and claiming asylum. But alleviating our growing border crisis is impossible unless Congress changes our immigration laws.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, was right when he said Tuesday during a congressional hearing on border security that there is “absolutely no justification whatsoever for Congress to sit on the sidelines and watch as this crisis continues to unfold.” The emergency on the border is “getting worse and worse as Congress sits on its hands and does absolutely nothing” to help.

[...]

In fiscal 2018, border agents apprehended nearly 106,000 “family units,” meaning families that made their way illegally onto U.S. soil and, more often than not, claimed asylum. We’re only halfway through this year, and that number has tripled to more than 316,000.

Why is this happening? It is because everyone south of the border knows that to secure indefinite legal protection to stay in the U.S., they need simply to arrive with children, who by law must not be detained for more than 20 days. When the child is released by border patrol, as it inevitably will be, so too is the person who came with them. That’s why the number of apprehensions of supposed families dwarfs apprehensions of single adults.

News media and Trump's critics blame administration cruelty for the crisis. They've started referring to detention centers as "concentration camps" (see P.xx). But the crisis is caused by our nonsensical asylum laws, which are well intentioned but incapable of dealing with the sort of massive run on the border we're seeing today. Our laws act as a magnet for illegal immigrants, encouraging migrants to make dangerous journeys with children, across Mexico, and enter our country without documentation.

More:  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/editorials/congress-shirks-its-duty-at-the-southern-border

Online rustynail

Re: Congress shirks its duty at the southern border
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:51:09 am »
Congress' 'duty' is to Thomas J. Donohue  Chief Executive Officer of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 02:29:11 pm »
I mistrust the "Congress must act" crowd.  Other than appropriating funds to do what is already in the law, I would much prefer Congress stay out of meddling in the Executive's job.  They will try to slip "comprehensive reform" and other abominations in if they act.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 06:40:32 pm »
I mistrust the "Congress must act" crowd.  Other than appropriating funds to do what is already in the law, I would much prefer Congress stay out of meddling in the Executive's job.  They will try to slip "comprehensive reform" and other abominations in if they act.

Fixing the loopholes the courts blew through the Asylum law will require an act of Congress, along with what you suggest for the Executive. Both.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: