Author Topic: Whither Encarnacion?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Whither Encarnacion?
« on: June 16, 2019, 10:05:50 pm »
On surface, the Yankees hardly need the AL's home run leader. Below surface, beware . . .
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/06/16/whither-encarnacion/

Edwin Encarnacion, AL home run
leader, due to arrive at Stadium
Elsewhere Monday after a surprise
trade . . .

Once upon a time, Edwin Encarnacion exposed a former Yankee manager as a shortsighted strategist. Now he'll get to help reveal how clever the incumbent Yankee manager is as a juggler. Or, how clever the Yankee front office is at trade maneuvering.

As a Blue Jay, Encarnacion laid waste to then-Orioles manager Buck Showalter's insistence, in the 2016 American League wild card game, that his then-stud closer Zach Britton had no business appearing any time other than the last inning with a lead to protect.

Not even if Ubaldo Jimenez---normally a starter who'd pitched very well down the stretch but who wasn't the reliever who'd allowed only four earned runs all year, all of which scored in April---really was the best Blue Jays arm in that period. (And he wasn't, quite.)

Showalter ignored the law that says when you need a stopper right now, you forget his customary assignment and bring him in if you want to live to play another inning, if not another postseason game. Encarnacion took Showalter's ignorance plus Jimenez's sudden inability to throw a potential double play pitch and turned a fastball down the pipe into the three-run homer that sent Rogers Centre nuclear and the Blue Jays to play another few postseason days.

Encarnacion went from there to a pair of somewhat productive seasons with the Indians in which he kept hitting the long ball but nothing much else; he has a cumulative 4.7 wins above replacement level for those two seasons, which averages him out to 2.4. Which is, according to Baseball Reference, just good enough to be in the starting lineup but not exactly even All-Star level.

But he could still do the monster mash after he went to the Mariners in a three-way December deal that made an Indian out of Jake Bauers (who belied his anemic bat and hit for the cycle during the week), a Ray out of Yandy Diaz, and a prodigal Indian of Carlos Santana. The Mariners have gone into the sewage treatment plant after that staggering 13-2 start and they're all but pushing the plunger on the season.

They unloaded Jay Bruce, the traveling man, to the Phillies last week. Bruce has begun his Philadelphia life as a productive masher, so far. Now they've sent Encarnacion to the Yankees, and even those who love this year's Empire Emeritus's ability to make their injuries seem like momentary disruptions to their power plant seem scratching their heads over this one.

Wasn't the Yankees' number one need right now a little reinforcement to their starting pitching? Shouldn't they have been pondering what it would take to pry someone like Madison Bumgarner from the Giants, maybe Noah Syndergaard from the Mets, possibly Max Scherzer from the Nationals? (Never mind that their supremo Mike Rizzo insists he has no intention of letting Scherzer loose?)

Didn't they still have thunder in the lumber with every current regular save Brett Gardner showing a 113+ or better OPS? And weren't Aaron Judge (strained oblique) and Giancarlo Stanton (leg and shoulder trouble) due to finish their rehab assignments and return to Stadium Elsewhere beginning some time next weekend?

Isn't Judge the regular right fielder when he isn't injured? Hasn't Luke (Into the) Voit put a vise grip on the first base job? Don't Gardner, Aaron Hicks, and Clint Frazier have the outfield well enough set, with Gardner and Stanton rotating in and out between that and designated hitting when the need arises? And doesn't Aaron Boone have enough in his hands trying to juggle Gleyber Torres, D.J. LaMahieu, Didi Gregorius, and Gio Urshela into infield playing time?

Sports Illustrated's Jon Tayler has one resolution floating before him:

The likeliest outcome post-Encarnacion is that he and Voit juggle first and DH between them, Judge takes over right, Stanton becomes the starting leftfielder, Gardner hits the bench and Frazier is either sent down to Triple A or traded to address the Yankees’ biggest extant issue: starting pitching. It’s an unfair outcome for Frazier, who’s hit well (.291/.340/.533 and a 128 OPS+), but as the only one of that group left with options, he’s the easy choice to be the odd man out, especially given his struggles with the glove. And as a 24-year-old with a first-round pedigree, he’s now a lock to show up in every Yankees trade rumor between now and July 31.

Tayler also fears veteran Cameron Maybin may be seeing his last days in Yankee pinstripes when he was just getting used to wearing them: an April pickup when the injuries began to buffet the Yankees, Maybin may be a productive part-timer "but [he's] a definite goner now."

In other words, you might think, the Yankees needed the American League's home run leader so far this season about as much as the Democratic Party needs yet another candidate jumping into the coming presidential contest. The Democrats may have an easier time winnowing out the excess players sooner than the Yankees may have integrating them.

Of course, there's always the chance that there might be a madness to the Yankee method. The Empire Emeritus might (underline that) be building a stockpile for a little trade deadline season maneuvering that won't cost them anything too much in the way of delicious farm prospects. Bumgarner, Syndergaard, and even Scherzer should still keep an eye on their cell phones. Their GMs may yet come a-calling with news out of New York.
---------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Freya
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@TomSea
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Re: Whither Encarnacion?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:57:00 pm »
Wasn't the Yankees' number one need right now a little reinforcement to their starting pitching?

Ya, pretty much!!  Perhaps more than a "little" as well.

Maybin will be gone in a minute, if he ain't already.

Frazier will be sent down until a trade for a pitcher materializes....

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 01:29:58 am »
Ya, pretty much!!  Perhaps more than a "little" as well.

Maybin will be gone in a minute, if he ain't already.

Frazier will be sent down until a trade for a pitcher materializes....
@EdJames
Frazier already has been sent down---the news came out about three hours after I wrote the essay!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 02:09:53 am »
Maybin went 3-3 with a HR against the Rays.

Tanaka found his splitter in a CG shutout.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 02:20:30 am »
Maybin went 3-3 with a HR against the Rays.

Tanaka found his splitter in a CG shutout.
Splendid game indeed.

But like I said in the essay, guys like Madison Bumgarner, Noah Syndergaard, maybe even Max Scherzer, and a couple of guys I didn't mention---possibly Corey Kluber and Trevor Bauer---should be monitoring their cell phones acutely now. They may be getting calls from their GMs or agents or both with news or queries coming out of New York soon.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 03:18:10 pm »
@EasyAce

Maybin is making it tough on them....

:silly:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 06:15:15 pm »
@EdJames
As of this morning, the speculation is that the Yankees have thoughts toward these starting pitchers: Madison Bumgarner, Marcus Stroman, Trevor Bauer, Zack Wheeler, Matthew Boyd, or even Noah Syndergaard.

Some of the kickers, assuming those pitchers' current teams decide they want to move them:

* Bumgarner isn't quite the ground ball pitcher the Yankees seem to prefer; his ground ball rate now is below the major league average.

* Stroman has the fourth-highest ground ball rate in the Show.

* Bauer, Boyd, and Wheeler have higher strikeout rates than Bumgarner right now, even though Bumgarner's is the highest he's had since 2016.

* Bumgarner and Wheeler would be free agents at the end of the season; Syndergaard is under Mets team control through the end of 2021; Stroman and Bauer are under their teams' control through the end of 2020; Boyd is under team control through the end of 2022.

* So far, among the group, Stroman and Boyd are the only two known definitely to be up for grabs on the trade market.

* The Giants may feel a compulsion to get a deal done involving Bumgarner quickly if they want to move him before this year's trade market becomes saturated with starting pitchers and negates the value they might still get for him based especially on his postseason track record.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 09:08:05 pm »
It will be interesting to see it play out....  I suspect that many of the teams will want Torres in a deal...  unsure if the NYY are willing to part with him....  I think that they are hoping they can use Frazier as the main bait...  time will tell.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 10:23:09 pm »
It will be interesting to see it play out....  I suspect that many of the teams will want Torres in a deal...  unsure if the NYY are willing to part with him....  I think that they are hoping they can use Frazier as the main bait...  time will tell.
Frazier and Gary Sanchez can hit like hell, but the issue the Yankees have with them is that they're defensive liabilities. I can see the Yankees thinking in terms of who in the American League has a quality starting pitcher to make available and who might also need designated hitting who can plug in in the field in an emergency, since I don't really see them as regular-caliber defensively.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 11:07:28 pm »
Frazier and Gary Sanchez can hit like hell, but the issue the Yankees have with them is that they're defensive liabilities. I can see the Yankees thinking in terms of who in the American League has a quality starting pitcher to make available and who might also need designated hitting who can plug in in the field in an emergency, since I don't really see them as regular-caliber defensively.

At times, "defensive liabilities" is being kind!

(At least Frazier busts it out of the box to get down the line, rare for Gary....)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 11:38:45 pm »

I want the Yankees to fail, just so ESPN will STFU about them.  It's sickening how much ink they use on them.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EdJames

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 11:44:03 pm »
I want the Yankees to fail, just so ESPN will STFU about them.  It's sickening how much ink they use on them.

It is either them or the Red Sox...  NYY story more compelling thus far since they took over first place with a ton of guys on the DL.... let's see if they hold it once they get all the big guns back in place....  will they have the same chemistry?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 11:49:37 pm »
It is either them or the Red Sox...  NYY story more compelling thus far since they took over first place with a ton of guys on the DL.... let's see if they hold it once they get all the big guns back in place....  will they have the same chemistry?

Hard to do that when the guyz that have been performing in their absence are suddenly expected to sit down and watch.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 11:58:16 pm »

As much as I love the game, I refuse to watch anything Joe Buck i covering.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 12:50:59 am »
As much as I love the game, I refuse to watch anything Joe Buck i covering.

:beer:

Offline EdJames

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 01:15:42 am »
Hard to do that when the guyz that have been performing in their absence are suddenly expected to sit down and watch.

That's what I'm thinking....  unless Boone is some kind of magican.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 02:32:50 am »
@DCPatriot
@EdJames

Keep an eye on the trading floor through 31 July. The Yankees may be moving some of those pieces to bring in some starting pitching help. From their point of view, the best part of it is that it won't drain their farm system if they do it.

By the way, I catch some Yankee games via MLB TV through Amazon Prime---I get to pick either the home or road broadcast and don't have to put up with any Lox Sports people, never mind Joe Buck.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 05:39:02 am »

Keep an eye on the trading floor through 31 July. The Yankees may be moving some of those pieces to bring in some starting pitching help. From their point of view, the best part of it is that it won't drain their farm system if they do it.

@EasyAce

Excellent point.   

Offline EdJames

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 01:07:53 pm »
@EasyAce

"...via MLB TV through Amazon Prime..."

Thanks for that tip, I have Amazon Prime, will have to look for MLB TV on it!