Author Topic: Confused by polls? Watch early primary states — not national numbers  (Read 488 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Confused by polls? Watch early primary states — not national numbers
By Brad Bannon, opinion contributor — 06/16/19 12:00 PM EDT

The advent of the first Democratic presidential debate in 10 days is a milestone in the race for the 2020 nomination and a good opportunity for a status update on the campaign.

Early in the nomination battle, there are only five candidates that have significant support in the national and state polls. They are former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

The other candidates are barely blips on the screen. But primary polls are reflections of name recognition and one or more of the other candidates may become more prominent if their visibility significantly increases.

Biden leads the national polls. The most recent national survey was conducted by the Economist and YouGov has him at 27 percent followed in double digits by Warren at 16 percent and Sanders at 12 percent. Next in line are Buttigieg at 8 percent and Harris at 7 percent.  The other candidates don’t register significant support yet. 

There have been significant changes in the national leader board in the last month.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/448791-confused-by-polls-watch-early-primary-states-not-national-numbers
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
So much can happen between now and November 2020. I won’t really care about a poll, until after Labor Day, that year.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So much can happen between now and November 2020. I won’t really care about a poll, until after Labor Day, that year.

Not even then.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Did the early 1984 New Hampshire winner of the Democrat primary Gary Hart become the eventual nominee?

Early results do not presage much.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

I notice Beto isn't among the leaders mentioned in the article.  LOL

Anyway, I agree - polls are useless. But even if one attaches any significance to them, it is early yet.  And I expect a number of these wannabes will drop out in the very near future -- some before the first primary.  Booty Gig in particular.  He's just a flash in the pan and while he might be the flavor of the month through media hype, I doubt too many voters are really attracted to him, except maybe his fellow perverts.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Did the early 1984 New Hampshire winner of the Democrat primary Gary Hart become the eventual nominee?

Early results do not presage much.
I think South Carolina's usually the one to watch. At least as of late. I remember many a year where that state delivered crushing blows to the candidates that actually would've made good Presidents, and ended up leading to the nomination of horrible candidates.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Gary Hart ran intoproblens, Donna Rice, monkey business, etc.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Lee Atwater special - one of the more successful dirty political ops.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Which is exactly the point made.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Definitely. You simply can't do national polls in a Presidential nomination race. It doesn't work.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Definitely. You simply can't do national polls in a Presidential nomination race. It doesn't work.

Doesn't stop the Enemedia from trying to drive a square peg in that round hole.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Lee Atwater special - one of the more successful dirty political ops.

Did Atwater set Hartpence up with Donna Rice?
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Did Atwater set Hartpence up with Donna Rice?

I've heard this discussed in the past year, something sort of like this.  For some reason, Donna Rice went to his home, Atwater new about it and maybe they fabricated a story about it. I kind of forget it now. There is that famous picture of her sitting on his lap. I'll study up on it another time.