Author Topic: Punitive damage verdict against Oberlin College “was like a seismic wave moving quickly through the  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Millions and millions.  Legal council ain't cheap when you are on the losing side of a law suit!

It's amazing what one can afford when using other peoples money.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

It's amazing what one can afford when using other peoples money.

Ain't it though?

Offline goatprairie

Liberals simply don't understand that failing to punish minorities when they commit crimes does not help the "plight" of blacks in general...it just creates more racists who give up trying to be sympathetic and/or understand the problems of other people.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
It would appear the Oberlin administrators are still lying about what the ruling was about too.   Saw something on Twitter this morning that was sent out campus wide explaining that the ruling against the college was essentially them being held responsible for the speech and actions of students at the college.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Night Hides Not

It would appear the Oberlin administrators are still lying about what the ruling was about too.   Saw something on Twitter this morning that was sent out campus wide explaining that the ruling against the college was essentially them being held responsible for the speech and actions of students at the college.

Just a high toned way of saying "didn't do nuffin."
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline mountaineer

I posted the story about the Oberlin president's statement (look on p. 1 of this thread, the post with a photo of her). Of course they'd be in denial about their horrible offense.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

I know one of the most important things in the world, if not the most important, for white liberals is virtue-signaling about how much they're down with the struggle for black people where it's always 1955-1960 and Bull Connor and the boys are always beating black demonstrators and the Klan is riding through black neighborhoods.
Times have changed.  I wonder how many white liberals live near or close to high crime black neighborhoods.
If not for white liberal enablers I don't think we'd have the race problem we currently have.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I posted the story about the Oberlin president's statement (look on p. 1 of this thread, the post with a photo of her). Of course they'd be in denial about their horrible offense.

Saw that.  And to make matters worse they've added a handy FAQ section.

Here's a taste of what they are saying:

Did Dean Raimondo pass out protest fliers created by the student protesters? Did she use a bullhorn?

No. Jason Hawk, editor of the Oberlin News Tribune, said in his testimony at the Gibson’s trial that he approached the Dean of Students and asked what was happening. The Dean asked a student to provide her with a flyer and she handed it to him. Mr. Hawk testified that the Dean provided him with the flyer to accommodate his request and that he did not see her handing out flyers.

Yes. The Dean spoke for only two minutes using a bullhorn. In these two minutes she identified herself to all present and explained her presence and role at the protest.

Why didn’t administrators prevent students from protesting?

It would violate College policy to attempt to prevent students from exercising their right to free speech and their right of assembly under the First Amendment. The Court ruled that the protests were a constitutionally protected exercise of the right to expression and assembly that cannot be the basis of any civil liability.

Did senior administrators participate in the protest, as some media outlets are claiming?

No. No member of the College’s senior leadership participated in the protest. There was some testimony at the trial that a handful of faculty and staff were present at the protest. Any Oberlin faculty or staff at the protest participated in their personal capacity and not as a representative of Oberlin.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/oberlin-college-issues-faqs-on-gibsons-bakery-verdict-did-the-college-defame-or-libel-the-gibsons-no/

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Did Dean Raimondo pass out protest fliers created by the student protesters? Did she use a bullhorn?

No. Jason Hawk, editor of the Oberlin News Tribune, said in his testimony at the Gibson’s trial that he approached the Dean of Students and asked what was happening. The Dean asked a student to provide her with a flyer and she handed it to him. Mr. Hawk testified that the Dean provided him with the flyer to accommodate his request and that he did not see her handing out flyers.

Yes. The Dean spoke for only two minutes using a bullhorn. In these two minutes she identified herself to all present and explained her presence and role at the protest.

Why didn’t administrators prevent students from protesting?

It would violate College policy to attempt to prevent students from exercising their right to free speech and their right of assembly under the First Amendment. The Court ruled that the protests were a constitutionally protected exercise of the right to expression and assembly that cannot be the basis of any civil liability.

Did senior administrators participate in the protest, as some media outlets are claiming?

No. No member of the College’s senior leadership participated in the protest. There was some testimony at the trial that a handful of faculty and staff were present at the protest. Any Oberlin faculty or staff at the protest participated in their personal capacity and not as a representative of Oberlin.

If that's their defense, I can see why they lost.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Here's a taste of what they are saying:

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/oberlin-college-issues-faqs-on-gibsons-bakery-verdict-did-the-college-defame-or-libel-the-gibsons-no/

I wonder why they haven't filed their appeal yet? 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Night Hides Not

How convenient!   :rolling:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
How convenient!   :rolling:

I wonder how they separate the two since there were faculty handing out the fliers?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I wonder why they haven't filed their appeal yet?

They're too busy digging the hole deeper.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

Oberlin Has Graduated from Self-Caricature to Disgrace
By George Will
June 20, 2019 6:30 AM

Washington — Oberlin College has an admirable liberal past and a contemptible progressive present that will devalue its degrees far into the future. This is condign punishment for the college’s mendacity about helping to incite a mob mentality and collective bullying in response to “racist” behavior that never happened.

Founded in 1833, Oberlin became one of the nation’s first colleges to admit African Americans, and its first coeducational liberal-arts college. It has, however, long since become a byword for academic self-caricature, where students protest, among many microaggressions, the food service’s insensitive cultural appropriation of banh mi sandwiches, sushi, and General Tso’s chicken.  ...

But with the cowardice characteristic of bullies, Oberlin claimed in court that it had nothing to do with what its students did when they acted on the progressive righteousness that they imbibe at the school. However, at an anti-bakery protest, according to a complaint filed by the bakery, the dean of students helped distribute fliers, produced on college machines, urging a boycott because “this is a RACIST establishment with a LONG ACCOUNT of RACIAL PROFILING and DISCRIMINATION.” (There is no record of any such complaints against the bakery, from which Oberlin bought goods until the hysteria began.) According to court documents, the administration purchased pizza for the protesters and authorized the uses of student funds to buy gloves for protesters. The college also signaled support for the protests by suspending college purchases from the bakery for two months.  ...
More at National Review

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

from article: 
I want to assure you that none of this will sway us from our core values.
Here's the stated core values on its website:
Mission Statement
Oberlin educates students for lives of intellectual, musical, and artistic rigor and breadth; sustained inquiry, creativity and innovation; and leadership. Oberlin aims to prepare graduates with the knowledge, skills, and perspectives essential to confront complex issues and to create change and value in the world.

Oberlin is committed to educational access and opportunity. It seeks to offer a diverse and inclusive residential learning environment encouraging a free and respectful exchange of ideas and shares an enduring commitment to a sustainable and just society.

I do not see maliciously slandering a local well respected business owner by Oberlin's faculty as a core value, so the President lied.

From article:
we value our relationship with the town and region that are our home.
This is a lie as well, otherwise the member of the administration who slandered the business would have been fired, immediately.

from article:
We will learn from this lawsuit as we build a stronger relationship with our neighbors.

I see no apology whatsoever within this communication she wrote.  Therefore, Oberlin has learned nothing.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
from article: 
I do not see maliciously slandering a local well respected business owner by Oberlin's faculty as a core value, so the President lied.

From article: This is a lie as well, otherwise the member of the administration who slandered the business would have been fired, immediately.

from article:
I see no apology whatsoever within this communication she wrote.  Therefore, Oberlin has learned nothing.

I'm shocked.  Shocked!

They have learnt nothing at all.  All they care about is the feelz they get from virtue signaling.  May this doom the college...they seem to think they can bulldoze their way through this, so they keep digging that hole.
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Oberlin College President on Bakery Case: ‘This Is Not the Final Outcome’
TOM CICCOTTA
19 Jun 201922

Oberlin College President Carmen Twillie Ambar released a statement to the community on Friday claiming that the college’s legal battle with Gibson’s Bakery is far from over.

Breitbart News reported last week that a jury awarded Gibson’s Bakery a total of $44 million in their defamation lawsuit against Oberlin College. The college, which is now faced with that massive bill, is starting to push back against the verdict.

In an email sent to the Oberlin community on Friday, college president Carmen Twillie Ambar argued that the legal battle is far from over.More at Breitbart

She was not the President when the incident occurred in 2016.  That President resigned in 2017 and now leads Pace University.(Perhaps the next collegiate implosion)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Twillie_Ambar
I note she is a lawyer by background, so she must have been selected due to that background to handle this high-profile case and intricately involved during the trial.  Since it was a disaster for the school, she proved notably to be neither a good president nor a good lawyer. 

I also note her husband is an extreme radical teaching political science at Rutgers and who wrote the book  Saladin Ambar -  Malcolm X at Oxford Union: Racial Politics in a Global Era

Lastly, let's not forget the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, who works for... wait for it... George Soros.  https://www.oberlin.edu/general-counsel-and-secretary/trustees
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

Lastly, let's not forget the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, who works for... wait for it... George Soros. 
*****rollingeyes*****