Author Topic: Humans Have Started Growing Spikes in the Back of Their Skulls Because We Use Smartphones so Much  (Read 1434 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Humans Have Started Growing Spikes in the Back of Their Skulls Because We Use Smartphones so Much
By Kashmira Gander On 6/13/19 at 6:52 AM EDT

Health

Press your fingers into the back of your skull, just above your neck. If you feel a small spike you may be among people whose body has responded to smartphone use by growing new layers of bone.

The phenomenon involves what is known as an external occipital protuberance: a growth which appears on the back of the head. David Shahar, a health scientist at the University of The Sunshine Coast, Australia, told BBC.com that in the last decade of his 20 year career he has noticed more patients have the protrusion which was once considered rare.

Shahar explained to BBC.com that when the external occipital protuberance was first studied by French scientist Paul Broca in 1885 "he didn't like it because he had studied so many specimens, and he hadn't really seen any which had it."

In a study published in the Journal of Anatomy in 2016, Shahar and his co-author described how he had been spotting external occipital protuberances more often in x-rays of relatively young patients at his clinic. To find out more, he looked at 218 radiographs of the lateral cervical spine, where the external occipital protuberance appears, of people aged between 18 to 30-years-old. A growth had to be at least 5mm-long to be counted as an external occipital protuberance, with anything bigger than 10mm classified as enlarged.

more
https://www.newsweek.com/humans-have-started-growing-spikes-back-their-skulls-because-we-use-smartphones-so-much-1443757
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Shahar explained to BBC.com that when the external occipital protuberance was first studied by French scientist Paul Broca in 1885 "he didn't like it because he had studied so many specimens, and he hadn't really seen any which had it."

How did he know to study it if he hadn't seen it?

Bill Cipher

So why is smartphone use allegedly causing spikes to grow?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I thought this was from Natural News.  I was wrong it is worse, news weak.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

Cellphones are turning us into Klingons.

And we thought we were the good guys.

Bill Cipher

Didn’t they end up becoming good guys eventually?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Only if you stay on their good side and accept Gagh served in traditional fashion when offered.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Bill Cipher

Only if you stay on their good side and accept Gagh served in traditional fashion when offered.

Was that from their smartphone use as well?

Offline skeeter

Maybe. My Star Trek watching days ended with Cap't Kirk.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I wanna be a Vulcan. Or a Betazoid
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online libertybele

Yikes!  My phone must be smarter than most ... I don't have a small spike.  I have a rather large spike!   :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

I’ve analyzed thousands of x-rays of cervical spines and palpated just as many during a typical exam and treatment. The external occipital protuberance is a named landmark because everyone has one, and how prominent it is is most likely genetic and arbitrary.

Is this guy making s*it up just to make a false connection for political or philosophical reasons?

Online mountaineer

I knew there was a good reason ( :laugh:) not to own a smartphone!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
So why is smartphone use allegedly causing spikes to grow?

Has more to do with constant looking down (keyboard, phone, etc) than anything else.  Neck muscles pull on the back of the skull more when the neck is bent and looking down.

I have a external occipital protuberance - somewhat pronounced at 55 years old.  But I have been doing IT / computer work most of my life.