Author Topic: Whataburger sells majority ownership stake to Chicago investment firm  (Read 612 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Madison Iszler and Joshua Fechter June 14, 2019

Chicago-based BDT Capital Partners said Friday it’s agreed to acquire a majority stake in Whataburger.

The burger chain will remain headquartered in San Antonio, and the groups will “begin exploring expansion plans,” they said in a statement.

Whataburger’s founders, the Dobson family, will keep a minority position in the company. President and CEO Preston Atkinson and Chairman Tom Dobson will retain their seats on the board but retire from daily operations.

Both will turn to running Las Aguilas, an investment company launched by the Dobson family in 2011 that focuses on real estate and philanthropy.

The decision “is both exciting and bittersweet” for the family, Tom Dobson said.

“Whataburger has been the heart and soul of our family legacy for nearly 70 years, but we feel really good about the partnership with BDT,” he said.

“They have a track record of success with businesses as special as ours that want to grow, while preserving culture and family history. They are trusted advisors and partners who have worked closely with other family businesses and they have a tremendous reputation for doing the right thing,” he added.

Ed Nelson, Whataburger’s chief financial officer and controller, will become president. Several other company executives are also being promoted.

“Whataburger has grown significantly over the years,” Atkinson said. “In order to keep satisfying our customers, we’ve been exploring different options to expand the brand and introduce it to new audiences.”

Whataburger confirmed last month that it hired investment banking firm Morgan Stanley to help the company figure out how best to fuel its expansion.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/local/article/Bank-acquires-majority-stake-in-Whataburger-13998032.php

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Chicago-based BDT Capital Partners said Friday it’s agreed to acquire a majority stake in Whataburger.

I don't have a good feeling about these Chicago carpetbaggers owning a Texas Buger joint.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline berdie

Chicago??? Get a rope!

They will ruin it. 8888crybaby

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Chicago??? Get a rope!

They will ruin it. 8888crybaby

Don't blame the family for taking the $$ and running but I sure do hate to lose What-a-burger to a bunch of carpetbaggers from Chicago.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Don't blame the family for taking the $$ and running but I sure do hate to lose What-a-burger to a bunch of carpetbaggers from Chicago.

Those Chitown city slickers aren't even the the "all hat no cattle" type...  They are "no hat and no cattle".   I doubt they could pour piss out of a Justin boot even with the directions written on the heel.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.