Author Topic: WaPo: Say, it looks like Trump won his tariff battle with Mexico after all  (Read 462 times)

Offline bilo

The only major demand that Trump didn’t win in the fight was an adoption of a “safe third country” protocol by Mexico. That would force migrants from Central and South America to apply for asylum in the first safe country they enter — arguably Mexico, although drug cartel violence might make that a questionable call. López Obrador had long opposed that policy, and he managed to avoid it — for now. In one measure of who won this standoff, foreign minister Marcelo Ebrard told reporters that they only staved off the demand by asking Mike Pence for time to show that other actions would be effective in solving the American border crisis.

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/06/14/wapo-say-looks-like-trump-won-tariff-battle-mexico/
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

“In the meeting with the vice president of the United States,” Ebrard told reporters on Monday, “they were insistent on the safe third country issue. We told them — I think it was the most important achievement of the negotiations — ‘let’s set a time period to see if what Mexico is proposing will work, and if not, we’ll sit down and see what additional measures’ [are required].” If the numbers of migrants hitting the U.S. border do not decline appreciably, Ebrard said, Mexico might have to adopt the protocol to avoid damaging tariffs.

I know there are some that post here that won't credit Trump with anything, but I think a lot of us see progress being made.

Mexico is boxed into a corner. If they don't show real results quickly they will probably end up with the regional solution of being designated a "safe country". If that happens the immigration problem ends in their country.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home