Author Topic: Kmart bans customers using religious words such as 'Jesus' or 'church' at its photo printing kiosks  (Read 759 times)

rangerrebew

Kmart bans customers using religious words such as 'Jesus' or 'church' at its photo printing kiosks - but 'Islam' and 'Koran' get the all-clear

Words such as Jesus, church and Bible were replaced with asterisks in captions

This is because new software wrongly thinks the words are profanities

It was not just religious words affected, with the word Canadian also banned

Kmart said it was an error and it would be fixed with a software update

By Charlie Moore For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 16:47 EDT, 12 June 2019 | Updated: 20:39 EDT, 12 June 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7134853/Kmart-bans-religious-words-Jesus-church.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
K-Mart?  Are they still in business?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
This is the Australian K-mart. Same brand, but separate company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart_Australia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
K-mart had better watch out, or they may have to start closing stores!

Oh, wait....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

K-Mart?  Are they still in business?

We've still got em... And I would rather go there than Wallyworld.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We've still got em... And I would rather go there than Wallyworld.
Actually, I miss ours.  K mart had a better toy section.... (With 13 grandkids and 10 great grands, that matters).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Actually, I miss ours.  K mart had a better toy section.... (With 13 grandkids and 10 great grands, that matters).

I still get my shoes there, by and large... Not sh*tkickers, of course, or mocs, or muks, but lightweight hikers, construction boots and such all come from the KMarche. I have tried otherwise, but always come back.

Clothes were generally JCPenny or KMart most my life... Anymore my tshirts come from Duluth Trading Co now, jeans, overalls, and such come from the ranch store... but I still get a lot otherwise from the KMart.

Craftsman tools - Not handy for me, since the actual Sears store is right down the way for me.
Outdoors, camping, hunting, etc...

Yeah... most the stuff you can get from the Wallyworld is better got at the KMart.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The last K-marts I remember were lightly stocked, none too clean and sort of ghetto.  Not a place I wanted to shop.  I guess that's why they aren't here any more.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

wonder how @Jazzhead approaches this as Kmart advertised for photos, so how can it not provide photos?

did the Colorado Civil Rights Commission step in and levy fines against Kmart?

if not, then why not?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
wonder how @Jazzhead approaches this as Kmart advertised for photos, so how can it not provide photos?

did the Colorado Civil Rights Commission step in and levy fines against Kmart?

if not, then why not?

Well, it appears to be nothing more than a software glitch,  but if a business seeks to suppress profanities or blasphemies on its printed photo-captions,  it see no reason why it should not be able to do so.    Canadians are, after all, the devil's spawn.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

13 grandkids and 10 greats?  God has certainly blessed you!!!  happy77 happy77
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Does this mean Mexicans named Hay-Zues (Jesus) can't get photos at K-Mart?

I smell a discrimination suit in the making.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Well, it appears to be nothing more than a software glitch,  but if a business seeks to suppress profanities or blasphemies on its printed photo-captions,  it see no reason why it should not be able to do so.    Canadians are, after all, the devil's spawn.
So a business gets to decide what is blasphemy or not?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Sure, as long as I get to define blasphemy for everyone.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
13 grandkids and 10 greats?  God has certainly blessed you!!!  happy77 happy77
Yes, He has!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

I think that's the exact argument that Phillips needs to put before the Court.   What is prohibited as unlawful discrimination is discrimination that is arbitrary, not discrimination based on a demand to replicate an offensive message,  or as here, a deliberate provocation.

There is a difference between an unsuspecting customer being blindsided by a shop owner's bigotry,  and a shop owner being provoked to commit a blasphemy.    The law exists to remedy real harms, not manufactured harms proffered by cynical ambulance chasers.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

There is a difference between an unsuspecting customer being blindsided by a shop owner's bigotry,  and a shop owner being provoked to commit a blasphemy.    The law exists to remedy real harms, not manufactured harms proffered by cynical ambulance chasers.   
am not perceiving any difference between the two.

In both cases, seems the shopowner is assessing whether blasphemy occurred, and his judgement only is the basis for the assessment.