Author Topic: 'Thank you for letting me fend for myself': High school valedictorian blasts 'alcoholic' teacher and  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We'll have to disagree.  Maybe her story is true...maybe it isn't.  So what? Her hs wasn't perfect? What ones are? If I gave a valedictorian speech at my hs, I could have called out a number of people in the admin, including the guidance counselor, who I thought were useless. That included a few religious people as well.
She chose that moment to rant about something personal.  She was out of line.
What is she supposed to do? Suck up? For what purpose and to what end? From listening to the level of frustration that comes with repeatedly tying to get through using "channels", what choice was there?

Sacrifice integrity, damn the poor sods who follow, and kiss ass? or...

Show some integrity, spell out what is going on, (as if the parents of at least some of the students didn't know already--from the reactions, the students sure did), and hope, that on the way out the door she can get something to change, not for herself, but for those who follow, who would be subject to the same incompetence and abuses.
Like I said, I'd hire her in a heartbeat. People who cut to the chase and don't tolerate crap are few and far between, given their grievances are justified. Too many are cowed by authority when they should speak up. That's how the education industry has become such a mess, and it won't get any better until people demand those in that industry do their jobs.

I work in the oil patch. "It is what it is" about covers the full range of problems we have in our industry, and soft pedaling it, tolerating incompetence or worse yet, people who don't do their job is a non-starter and will bite you squarely (and sometimes spectacularly) in the ass. People who try to go through channels but aren't afraid to speak up when that doesn't work are a valuable asset, not a problem, so long as their gripes are justified.

Like I said, from the reactions of the students, it looks like hers were.

I went to two High Schools. The one, the public school was grossly mismanaged, had race riots in progress, and I will ever have a serious gap in my mathematical ability because I have had to independently make up for deficits at the hand of an incompetent teacher who could not work the problems, but would not be fired because he was of the same demographic that was doing the rioting.
The school superintendents and the vast majority of the School Board sent their children, by way of 'a little gerrymandering' of the school districts, to other High Schools, which had no such problems. I could go on at length about that, but won't here. 

By virtue of having been an advanced math student in the 8th grade and having participated in a 3 county math contest sponsored by the school, (I placed 5th), I was later admitted to a Private School  where scheduling was done on a college type arrangement, there were resource centers for working on projects, the faculty and staff were definitely interested in the academic well being of the students, and I was salvaged academically.

Having seen that contrast, and from the reactions of the other students, I'd say her gripes were justified. (Really, police remove a drunken teacher from school property? Hardly a problem free environment.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:06:07 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The school district says her speech was pre-approved but she went off-script

Ya think?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Ya think?
I bet that provoked some incontinence among the staff....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

I have been teaching for 24 years now. I have seen amazing students, parents, teachers, and administrators. I have also seen the obverse as well. Maybe I have been fortunate, but he P!$$poor pitiful ones in each group have been in the minority. MY personal feelings are that for high school and college, like most things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. I have done my best over the years not to tell students what to do with their lives but to let them know that there are options available to them and to help them explore them.
If her reasons for doing this were just to vent her spleen and exact some sort of revenge then I don't approve, but if her end goal was to shake things up and make others aware so that positive changes could be made, then I wholeheartedly approve and support her 100%.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Slide Rule

@Slide Rule I’ve read Feynman and I own the Norman Davies book . Adding the other ones to my reading list thank you.

Thanks Freya. I enjoy reading and books with exceptional insight.

The Davies book was recommended to me by a poster on another site.

I will have to consider if there are others of equal worth.

Yes there is.  Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.

By Alfred Lansing and Nathaniel Philbrick. It is from Jordan Peterson's
recommendations.  A treasure trove.
https://www.jordanbpeterson.com/great-books/

Hug your loved ones.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:05:58 am by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Slide Rule

I disagree. She was not (from the reaction in the crowd) the only student to suffer the incompetence, absence, and other problems which they all had to deal with as students. These people weren't doing their jobs and she called them out on it.

Why is that important? It won't make her future any better, but by shaming the institutional snakes in front of parents and others, perhaps some people will be held to task in the future or replaced by those who will do their jobs better. For those still students there, that could have a great effect, for her, none. The reaction of those in the gowns and mortarboards said it all.

I'd hire her, all other things equal, in a New York Second.  I like people who will tell it like it is, just tell me first.

Beer!

It is good to eliminate a career with any outfit that would be offended by what
she clearly believes. Corruption and incompetence needs to be outed at every opportunity.

Besides. Any company worth their salt would not wish to diminish her drive.

I would hire her too.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote