Author Topic: Central American migrants say deal doesn't dash asylum hopes  (Read 251 times)

rangerrebew

Central American migrants say deal doesn't dash asylum hopes

Christopher Sherman, Associated Press Updated 6:25 pm CDT, Sunday, June 9, 2019

TIJUANA, Mexico (AP) — At the small migrant Juventud 2000 shelter near the border, a Honduran expressed disappointment Sunday over the agreement between Mexico and the United States to more aggressively to curtail migration from Central America.

But Edwin Sabillon Orellana of Honduras said he and his family will stick with their effort to seek asylum in the U.S.
Recommended Video

Sabillon said some migrants might decide that waiting in Mexico for the lengthy processing of asylum requests isn't worth it, but he said he cannot take his family back to their home near San Pedro Sula, a crime-ridden metropolis that is Honduras' second biggest city.

"In my dreams I never had it in my mind to one day come to the United States," the 30-year old assembly plant worker said, sitting near a large pot of half-made salsa ranchera awaiting a delivery of cooking gas to the shelter's kitchen. "I had my job, my wife had her job. My daughter was in a bilingual school — my daughter speaks English. I didn't have a reason to come here."

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/texas/article/Central-American-migrants-say-deal-doesn-t-dash-13963995.php