Author Topic: Trump in Iowa touts ethanol while bashing Biden  (Read 951 times)

Offline corbe

Trump in Iowa touts ethanol while bashing Biden
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:08:34 am »
Trump in Iowa touts ethanol while bashing Biden

By Miranda Green - 06/11/19 06:11 PM EDT

President Trump gave rallygoers in Iowa Tuesday a sign of what might come in 2020, speaking to them about ethanol while taking hard jabs at Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.

Speaking in Council Bluffs, Iowa, to celebrate his administration’s decision to allow 15 percent of ethanol to be mixed into gasoline in the hot summer months, Trump in one breath called the move an American success story while also blasting Biden for failing to embrace the fuel under President Obama.

“America must never be held hostage to foreign suppliers of energy as we have under 'Sleepy Joe,'" Trump told the crowd gathered at Southwest Iowa Renewable Energy, using his preferred nickname for Biden.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/448037-trump-in-iowa-touts-ethanol-while-bashing-biden
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Trump in Iowa touts ethanol while bashing Biden
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:09:51 am »
    18 months before the election, no wonder most people are burned out on politics.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 12:20:46 am »
POTUS spoke for 47 minutes; 30 seconds on  Biden   :laugh:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yiu2bCLnDc

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:05:58 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 12:25:02 am »
    18 months before the election, no wonder most people are burned out on politics.

Let it go killer. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 12:57:23 am »
POTUS spoke for 47 minutes.  Biden (as part of the previous administration) was a blip.   :laugh:

That may be true @Right_in_Virginia but Joe promised he'd cure cancer what did Trump promise?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 06:43:20 am »
I have seen the ethanol thing as a Sucks@ss story from the start. It was instrumental in my deciding who to support in the primary we never had.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 07:27:42 am »
Let it go killer. 

The killer in this equation is Ethanol, which killed 3 of my chainsaws last winter because one of my kids decided to use it in the mix. It is a no-gain issue, it does not save oil in the long run, it kills engines, it drives up corn prices (food prices) and yet Trump jumps on the issue on the wrong side.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:38:50 am »
The killer in this equation is Ethanol, which killed 3 of my chainsaws last winter because one of my kids decided to use it in the mix. It is a no-gain issue, it does not save oil in the long run, it kills engines, it drives up corn prices (food prices) and yet Trump jumps on the issue on the wrong side.
That's the promise he mad in Iowa during the primaries. Iowa, where all the crap started to get thrown at Cruz, Iowa where the Governor said Cruz had to be beaten at any cost (the governor's son was an ethanol industry lobbyist and Cruz had said to drop the mandate and let the market decide).
After that all sorts of crap started to get thrown at the winner of the Iowa Caucus...
but... but.... WINNING!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 10:46:55 am »

Ethanol mixed in gas doesn't damage engines that are used regularly.  Actually, it's beneficial in small quantities (not that that warrants gov't intervention in the market).  It does damage engines that sit idle for long periods more than straight gas, but the main cause of that damage is leaving fuel sitting around in the first place.

Also, there's no evidence that ethanol drives up corn prices.  It's a nice theory, but if you look at the data there's nothing there.  Actually, when the initial miniscule mandate went up by like 100,000x the price of corn dropped by about half  [Note: quoting numbers from memory.  A few years ago I did look into the correlation between ethanol usage and corn prices, and found that while corn prices jump all over the place I could never find an instance where increased ethanol usage lead to a rise in corn prices and most of the time I found the opposite (not that I believe increased ethanol usage was the cause of lower corn prices)].

Ethanol in gas sucks when it's mandated from DC, or used incorrectly.  It doesn't "kill engines".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 10:53:32 am »

Except for Trump's true believers, no one wants to hear a candidate yapping for 47 plus minutes about his opponent.  They want to hear what the candidate has to say about the issues. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 07:41:12 pm »
Ethanol mixed in gas doesn't damage engines that are used regularly.  Actually, it's beneficial in small quantities (not that that warrants gov't intervention in the market).  It does damage engines that sit idle for long periods more than straight gas, but the main cause of that damage is leaving fuel sitting around in the first place.

Also, there's no evidence that ethanol drives up corn prices.  It's a nice theory, but if you look at the data there's nothing there.  Actually, when the initial miniscule mandate went up by like 100,000x the price of corn dropped by about half  [Note: quoting numbers from memory.  A few years ago I did look into the correlation between ethanol usage and corn prices, and found that while corn prices jump all over the place I could never find an instance where increased ethanol usage lead to a rise in corn prices and most of the time I found the opposite (not that I believe increased ethanol usage was the cause of lower corn prices)].

Ethanol in gas sucks when it's mandated from DC, or used incorrectly.  It doesn't "kill engines".
you need to get out more and meet thee dead. The hygroscopic properties of ethanol enhance corrosion in aluminum and potmetal parts in engines that are not used on a daily basis. fuel systems commonly have those components. Lawnmowers, chain saws, outboard motors, motorcycles, and a host of other small engine applications do not always see daily use, except in the relatively few situations where people use them commercially, so there is time for the fuel to absorb water.
Failure rate in those engines (fuel systems) is increased by the presence of ethanol unless the ethanol is treated with a stabilizer, or non ethanol fuel is used. That has been my experience, the experience of my father (commercial fisherman up until last year), and others I know. Aside from expense, at least one person was put in a life threatening situation by the malfunction of a fuel system.
You might not see it, or you may parrot the industry line, but I'm going to believe both my experience and the experience of those I know.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 08:09:14 pm »

That simply put, is not true.
I have a very intimate knowledge of small engine power equipment.
I know to put them away dry.

I have years of records which prove to me that your words are invalid - Years where I did not know any better, and years after I caught on.

I will not ever put ethanol into a small engine.
And I will not ever put ethanol into any engine because of what I learned in small engines.

I burn only Conoco/Sinclair/BP Premium (ethanol free)

You are somewhat right when talking about newer automotive engines - They have been designed to withstand ethanol better than old-school engines. But if you have an old motor - LOw octane and ethanol will make short work of it.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 08:34:54 pm »

If ALL inputs are considered, it takes more energy to produce a unit of energy in the form of corn based ethanol than you get out.  It's complete idiocy!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:38:53 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien