Author Topic: Joe Scarborough: 'I Know' Chief Justice Roberts Will Never Overturn Roe  (Read 9033 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It amuses me to hear folks who usually decry "judicial activism"  insist the Supreme Court deny the legal rights of 150 million American women.     Whatever one may think of the original Roe decision, it is one thing to recognize new rights, and quite another to take rights away.   

A woman's right to decide for herself whether to bear a child has been the law of the land for three generations of American women.   What @Bill Cipher is simply saying is that SCOTUS is not the one to put that genie back in the bottle.    If an established right is to be no longer protected by the Constitution,  it must be done by the peoples' elected representatives, by means of a Constitutional amendment.    But that's not going to happen,  because the people generally support a middle ground regarding abortion.   Safe, legal and rare.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It amuses me to hear people talk about court created rights!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

It amuses me to hear folks who usually decry "judicial activism"  insist the Supreme Court deny the legal rights of 150 million American women.     Whatever one may think of the original Roe decision, it is one thing to recognize new rights, and quite another to take rights away.   

A woman's right to decide for herself whether to bear a child has been the law of the land for three generations of American women.   What @Bill Cipher is simply saying is that SCOTUS is not the one to put that genie back in the bottle.    If an established right is to be no longer protected by the Constitution,  it must be done by the peoples' elected representatives, by means of a Constitutional amendment.    But that's not going to happen,  because the people generally support a middle ground regarding abortion.   Safe, legal and rare.   

Right to life should have more power than a right for convenience.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It amuses me to hear people talk about court created rights!

Your individual right to defend your home and family with a firearm,  without regard to your membership in a citizen militia,  is a court-created right.   Do you support liberal efforts to overturn that court-created right?   

Didn't think so.  Rights for me but not for thee.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Right to life should have more power than a right for convenience.

A pre-viable fetus has, vis a vis its own mother,  no right to life under the U.S. Constitution.   And there is no political will to create such a right by means of a Constitutional amendment.  Seems like you are counting on judicial activism to impose your view of morality.   

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Your individual right to defend your home and family with a firearm,  without regard to your membership in a citizen militia,  is a court-created right.
Wrong.
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is clearly written in the Constitution in plain language. The first half, being grammatically incorrect, was never valid.

In contrast, any perceived right to kill a child in the womb is in direct contradiction of the explicit Fifth Amendment right to not be denied life without due process.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline thackney

A pre-viable fetus has, vis a vis its own mother,  no right to life under the U.S. Constitution.   And there is no political will to create such a right by means of a Constitutional amendment.  Seems like you are counting on judicial activism to impose your view of morality.   

Interesting it is a homicide to kill it outside of an abortion clinic in many states, if it has no right to life.

Bill Cipher

Wrong.
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" is clearly written in the Constitution in plain language. The first half, being grammatically incorrect, was never valid.

In contrast, any perceived right to kill a child in the womb is in direct contradiction of the explicit Fifth Amendment right to not be denied life without due process.

“Never valid” - more liberal words were ne’er heard on this subject. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Your individual right to defend your home and family with a firearm,  without regard to your membership in a citizen militia,  is a court-created right.   Do you support liberal efforts to overturn that court-created right?   

Didn't think so.  Rights for me but not for thee.

BUZZZZZZ Wrong again!  On all counts!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

@Jazzhead

A woman's right to decide for herself whether to bear a child by killing the baby is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

“Her right” is actually a misnomer. What’s central to the issue is her “responsibility” to abstain or use birth control when she is fertile, and to acknowledge the unique individual life inside her should those methods fail.

Abortion, at its core, is a human rights issue. Not the mother’s, but the baby’s God given human rights.

Offline thackney

Looks like US law takes a similar stance but give an exception to abortion.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1841

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Wrong.

Believe what you want.  You're wrong.   The predicate clause of the 2A can't simply be read out of the right because you claim it was "never valid".    The individual right was recognizedby a court decision - Scalia's majority opinion in Heller  - just as the individual right to abortion was recognized by the Court.    The two rights hang by the same thread.    If you insist that the Court overturn the right you oppose, then know that liberals are working just as hard to overturn the right you support.   

Hopefully the Court will stand firm and recognize each of these important rights, as well as the rights of the states to reasonably regulate their exercise.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Looks like US law takes a similar stance but give an exception to abortion.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1841

Yup.   A pre-viable fetus has no rights vis a vis its own mother.    The law you cite is directed toward the acts of third parties.    Which makes sense, since a woman has dominion over her own body.   THAT is the important natural right that must be protected.     

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead

A woman's right to decide for herself whether to bear a child by killing the baby is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

“Her right” is actually a misnomer. What’s central to the issue is her “responsibility” to abstain or use birth control when she is fertile, and to acknowledge the unique individual life inside her should those methods fail.

Abortion, at its core, is a human rights issue. Not the mother’s, but the baby’s God given human rights.

You are stating your moral view of the matter.   I don't necessarily disagree with it.   Where we disagree is the enlistment of the State to impose your morality on others.   What I support  - consistent with my conservative view of the role of the State  - is the woman's fundamental LIBERTY. 

The solution to the problem you cite is prevention, support and persuasion.   Not coercion.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
What I support  - consistent with my conservative view of the role of the State  - is the woman's fundamental LIBERTY. 

Because that child is a human being with rights. He or she deserves to be protected just by virtue of being human. And that woman’s “Liberty” to kill her child is not a justified liberty at all. Rather, she now has the responsibility to protect her child’s life.

And your role of the state is the exact opposite of "Conservative".  You're the only one here that believes that your view is the conservative one..

You're perfectly happy with the state mandating what people can and can't do if it supports one of your favorite Liberal pet causes.

The abortion issue is a perfect case in point of your hypocrisy.  IF you truly were for the State having a minimal role in peoples lives, you'd be against the Federal Government imposing a trash ruling like Roe on every state whether they agree with it or not.

But instead you falsely claim to be Conservative...all the while quite happy to have the Federal government impose it's version of morality on everyone whether they want it imposed on them or not.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Hoodat

Roe is not going anywhere.

They said the same thing about Plessy.

You can spin as fine and dandy a tale as you like to salve your self-inflicted butt-hurt, but that doesn’t change facts.

Facts?  Facts?  The FACT here is that Plessy was overturned.  So was Furman.  Thus, Roe can be overturned, too.  I understand that critical thinking is not your strong suit, but it is clear based on FACTS that Supreme Court decisions can indeed be overturned.  So all it takes is for a majority of Supreme Court Justices to side with what the Constitution actually says instead of siding with what makes them feel good, just as they did with Brown.  And every day that decision is delayed, we live under tyranny just as we lived under tyranny for half a century under Plessy.

One thing is clear, I choose to live on the foundation of the Constitution of the United States of America and place my trust in my fellow citizens in shaping our society as we see fit.  And you choose to impose your will on everyone else outside the confines of that same Constitution.  It really shouldn't matter to you what laws we the people of Georgia decide to implement.   Yet for some reason it does.  You simply can't help yourself from imposing your moral code (at the point of a gun) on people who live in different States than you.

Roe is here to stay.

Enjoy your fantasies and delusions.

We'll see, big boy.  We'll see.  I have the Constitution of the United States of America on my side.  What do you have?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Bill Cipher

Facts?  Facts?  The FACT here is that Plessy was overturned.  So was Furman.  Thus, Roe can be overturned, too.  I understand that critical thinking is not your strong suit, but it is clear based on FACTS that Supreme Court decisions can indeed be overturned.  So all it takes is for a majority of Supreme Court Justices to side with what the Constitution actually says instead of siding with what makes them feel good, just as they did with Brown.  And every day that decision is delayed, we live under tyranny just as we lived under tyranny for half a century under Plessy.

One thing is clear, I choose to live on the foundation of the Constitution of the United States of America and place my trust in my fellow citizens in shaping our society as we see fit.  And you choose to impose your will on everyone else outside the confines of that same Constitution.  It really shouldn't matter to you what laws we the people of Georgia decide to implement.   Yet for some reason it does.  You simply can't help yourself from imposing your moral code (at the point of a gun) on people who live in different States than you.

We'll see, big boy.  We'll see.  I have the Constitution of the United States of America on my side.  What do you have?

You have nothing more than your own delusions of grandeur.

Roe is not going anywhere, and Plessy is easily distinguished.

And Dickerson is strong authority for why that is so. 

Maybe you should go back to law school?

Offline Hoodat

You have nothing more than your own delusions of grandeur.

I have Amendment X.  What do you have?

Roe is not going anywhere

See:  Logical fallacies - Begging the question

. . . and Plessy is easily distinguished.

If it is so easily distinguished, then why have you utterly failed at distinguishing it?  (Hint:  It requires the ability to think critically)

And Dickerson is strong authority for why that is so.

Horsesh!t.  Dickerson is about Congress overruling the Supreme Court.  There is no such Congressional action with either Roe or Plessy.  But then you knew that already.

Maybe you should go back to law school?

Maybe you should go back to fifth grade.  Because even a fifth grader can figure this one out.

Plessy v. Furgeson was overturned by the Supreme Court.
Furman v. Georgia was overturned by the Supreme Court.
Durham v. United States was overturned by the Supreme Court.
McConnell v. FEC was overturned by the Supreme Court (post Dickerson).
Aguilar v. Texas was overturned by the Supreme Court.
Olmstead v. United States was overturned by the Supreme Court.

And so on, and so on, and so on.  Like I said, even a fifth grader can figure that out.  But not you.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Because that child is a human being with rights. He or she deserves to be protected just by virtue of being human.

Then pass a constitutional amendment.  Until then, it's a fetus that, until viability, is part of the woman's body and within her sole dominion and control as a matter of law.   

Liberty sometimes means the freedom to make choices that moral zealots like yourself oppose.   If you were a conservative, you'd understand that,  and turn to prevention, support and persuasion rather then enlist the State to deny my daughter's liberty. 

Offline Hoodat

Then pass a constitutional amendment.

There already is one.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

It amuses me to hear folks who usually decry "judicial activism"  insist the Supreme Court deny the legal rights of 150 million American women.

Judicial activists are the ones who ignore the Constitution as they impose their will on the rest of us.  You know the ones, they are the ones who say funny things like "abortion must remain legal" while at the same time completely fail at providing a legal basis for that claim.

What @Bill Cipher is simply saying is that SCOTUS is not the one to put that genie back in the bottle.    If an established right is to be no longer protected by the Constitution,  it must be done by the peoples' elected representatives, by means of a Constitutional amendment.

How was Plessy overturned?  Berger?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Your individual right to defend your home and family with a firearm,  without regard to your membership in a citizen militia,  is a court-created right.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
“Never valid” - more liberal words were ne’er heard on this subject.
Basic coherence is a requirement of any law's enforceability. If the text makes no sense, how can it be taken seriously? The sentence fragment lacks a verb.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

A pre-viable fetus has, vis a vis its own mother,  no right to life under the U.S. Constitution.

Under the Constitution, the State of Georgia has the right to establish its own abortion laws.

Seems like you are counting on judicial activism to impose your view of morality.   

This coming from the person who says "abortion must remain legal" and demands that morality be imposed on States other than the one where he resides.  Contrast that with those on this side who make zero demands on what the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does.  Judicial activism?  Imposing your morality on others?  That is you all the way.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

Then pass a constitutional amendment.  Until then, it's a fetus that, until viability, is part of the woman's body and within her sole dominion and control as a matter of law.

It is an interesting concept that the right to live is a function of technology.  That means ~24 weeks at the present time but used to mean 28 weeks and in the future may be 12 weeks or less.  Artificial wombs have already been developed and used with sheep.  It is only a matter of time until for humans.

Would the same concept apply at the other end of life?  No murder charge for those terminally if sufficiently near death?  A topic for another thread...