Author Topic: Biden camp blasts 'baseless lies' about his health  (Read 371 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Biden camp blasts 'baseless lies' about his health
« on: June 11, 2019, 01:52:57 am »
Biden camp blasts 'baseless lies' about his health
The Hill, Jun 10, 2019

Former Vice President Joe Biden ’s 2020 presidential campaign accused Fox News personalities of spreading rumors about the presidential hopeful being in poor health, The Daily Beast reports.

Fox News host Sean Hannity and Fox Business host Lisa "Kennedy" Montgomery have discussed Biden’s health on the air multiple times. On a May 29 broadcast of “The Five,” Kennedy compared Biden to 2016 Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, saying Democrats are quietly talking about Biden’s health, The Daily Beast reports.

“If you talk to Democrats, who are working for different campaigns, all of the aggressive gossip whisperers — and this is where the action is happening in terms of opposition research — it’s people having a few drinks at a bar and whispering, ‘You know there is something wrong with the former vice president,’” she said. Last week, Kennedy said Biden’s staff should keep their candidate “off a main stage” because he says “stupid things and he slurs,” adding that Biden “does look very tired.”

[...]

In a statement to The Daily Beast, Biden campaign press secretary TJ Ducklo said, “These are baseless lies meant to stoke fear in their viewers. It has no place in our public discourse, and anyone amplifying it bears some responsibility for giving it legitimacy it most certainly does not deserve.”

More:  https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/447744-biden-camp-blasts-baseless-lies-about-his-health

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Biden camp blasts 'baseless lies' about his health
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 02:09:55 am »
The man has had two aneurysms and a pulmonary embolism. His health is a legit topic.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 02:18:58 am »
The man has had two aneurysms and a pulmonary embolism. His health is a legit topic.

Sure, voters want to know.  But I do object to people making a candidate's health a subject for ridicule. 

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 04:25:23 am »
Sure, voters want to know.  But I do object to people making a candidate's health a subject for ridicule.
@Applewood

Thanks for your post.  Some people use the internet as freedom to show their real self since they can do it without anyone knowing the real person who said it.  In this case, what they don't realize is, they may be in whatever medical condition they are making fun of now.  Biden's health is a concern, but it should be a "concern" rather than using the subject of his health to demean the man.

He lost his wife and daughter in a car accident.  He rode the train every day to Washington, did not live in Washington, so he could go home and be with his two sons every day.  This was his past, not including after he became Vice President.  Just as other people, he had a life of ups and downs.  I don't think he should be President, but I don't think any Democrat should be President no matter their health.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:04:55 am »
@Victoria33

In 2016, Hillary was the subject of ugly gossip.  Every time she stumbled, people said she was drunk.  Others claimed she was dying.  It was a vicious political tactic designed to turn voters away from her and toward Trump. And it looks like something similar is happening to Biden. 

If Hannity and this "Kennedy" person had some legitimate information about Biden's health, then they had an obligation to share that information with viewers.  But speculating based on some unproven gossip is irresponsible.  Since Hannity is a Trump fan, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rumors he and "Kennedy" were spreading had been manufactured by Hannity, "Kennedy" or others at Fox.

I'm no fan of Biden, but political campaigns should be about the issues, not gossip.  If Trump and his pals at Fox want to slug it out with the Biden camp, there is plenty in Biden's political past (and present -- see his reversal on abortion funding, for example) that they can use against him.  But gossiping and speculating about his health is just plain childish.  It does not help  the voter decide on the right candidate.