Author Topic: Welcome to the Age of Surveillance Capitalism  (Read 1187 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Welcome to the Age of Surveillance Capitalism
« on: June 11, 2019, 12:00:07 am »
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-06-10/welcome-to-the-age-of-surveillance-capitalism

by Noah Smith
June 10, 2019

In 1998, science fiction author David Brin published a remarkably prescient book of nonfiction, titled “The Transparent Society: Will Technology Force Us To Choose Between Privacy And Freedom?” The book predicted that information technology would lead to the death of privacy, and explored some of the potential good and bad effects of the change.

One of Brin’s predictions was that citizens would be able to expose the secrets of the powerful -- a concept called “sousveillance.” That prediction seems to have come true. In just the past few years, mobile phone cameras have captured police brutality and other government misdeeds, social media has exposed famous figures as sexual harassers and so on.

Sousveillance might seem as if it’s leveling the social playing field. But the rich and powerful aren’t the only ones who have valuable secrets. However powerful crowds with cameras might be, big organizations like governments and corporations have at their disposal many more resources, better technology and more invasive, diabolical planning than the average person. And we’re just starting to discover what happens when those mighty forces put citizens and consumers into a panopticon.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Welcome to the Age of Surveillance Capitalism
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 11:43:25 pm »
A more troubling application is price discrimination. If companies use personal data to predict how much consumers are willing to pay for something, they can charge higher prices to those who are willing or able to pay more. Thus, surveillance capitalism may help companies siphon off more and more of the value that markets deliver to consumers.

Reminds me of years ago shopping with my wife in Reynosa, MX. If she spotted something she wanted to buy, we'd walk down the street where she'd leave me. And then she would go back to barter for a much cheaper price than if I was with her.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Welcome to the Age of Surveillance Capitalism
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 07:00:33 am »
Reminds me of years ago shopping with my wife in Reynosa, MX. If she spotted something she wanted to buy, we'd walk down the street where she'd leave me. And then she would go back to barter for a much cheaper price than if I was with her.
Mrs Joe is a brutal negotiator...I will let her horsetrade and just watch...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis