Author Topic: Third Discrimination Suit Filed Against Masterpiece Cakeshop  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Third Discrimination Suit Filed Against Masterpiece Cakeshop
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 02:40:39 pm »
I'm pretty sure that this guy's legal defense won't cost him a penny.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 03:15:02 pm »
I'm pretty sure that this guy's legal defense won't cost him a penny.
Man, it will cost him something far more precious and irreplaceable: Time.

If those who demand 'respect' simply had some, the shopowners could spend their holidays doing what they please instead of dealing with hatred for not putting a c*cksucker on a cake. IIRC, that is the image the owners denied they would craft.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:16:29 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 04:12:42 pm »
Man, it will cost him something far more precious and irreplaceable: Time.

If those who demand 'respect' simply had some, the shopowners could spend their holidays doing what they please instead of dealing with hatred for not putting a c*cksucker on a cake. IIRC, that is the image the owners denied they would craft.

Not sure about that.  I suspect the parties will stipulated to most of the facts because it's really a question of law rather than fact.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2019, 04:58:50 pm »
This is completely correct.  The Court basically ducked the core issue of whether or not you can force to bake an LGBTQ cake.  Instead, it struck down the decision of the Colorado commission because of anti-religious statements made by some commissioners during the course of the hearing.  Essentially, they said "regardless of whether or not you can force someone to bake that cake, you can't make a decision based on blanket anti-religious bias."  Of course, the very predictable result of that was for the Colorado commission to go after him again, and just not make the same kind of statements on the record.

The Supreme Court sometimes does that -- decides a case on very narrow grounds to duck a controversial issue.  They are particularly likely to do that when there doesn't appear to be a majority willing to sign on to any particular decision.  So rather than issuing a plurality opinion, they duck the main issue and decide it on a narrow ground.

As I said above, the problem is that while he won his first case at the Supreme Court, the decision they made was so narrow that it didn't address the core issue.  I suspect that the fly in the ointment at that time was Anthony Kennedy, who is generally pro-religious but also pro-gay.  He has since been replaced by Kavanaugh, who has not show the same pro-gay bias.  So, if it gets up to the Supreme Court again, it is very likely that the Court will finally decide the core issue squarely.  And if that happens, then there no longer will be any doubt, and the we'll all finally have the answer to the question that we should have had years ago.

But this result -- him getting sued again -- was as certain to happen as the sun rising in the east when the Supreme Court refused to address the core issue the first time around.

QFT.   The SCOTUS ducked,  and left Mr. Phillips vulnerable to folks trying to make a name for themselves.   

The SCOTUS's abandonment of its responsibility is shameful.   What the Court should be doing is creating certainty,  rather than uncertainty and obfuscation that prevents our cultural wounds from healing.    Now everyone knows that my opinion of the merits of this issue differs from most others here.   But I would welcome a clear ruling by the SCOTUS that folks like Mr. Phillips have the liberty to discriminate on the basis of their religious views even if I may disagree with it.    Whatever I may think of Mr. Phillips,  he doesn't deserve to be put through the wringer again.  Tell him what he can and cannot do, and let him move forward with his life and his business.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 02:32:10 am »
QFT.   The SCOTUS ducked,  and left Mr. Phillips vulnerable to folks trying to make a name for themselves.   

The SCOTUS's abandonment of its responsibility is shameful.   What the Court should be doing is creating certainty,  rather than uncertainty and obfuscation that prevents our cultural wounds from healing.    Now everyone knows that my opinion of the merits of this issue differs from most others here.   But I would welcome a clear ruling by the SCOTUS that folks like Mr. Phillips have the liberty to discriminate on the basis of their religious views even if I may disagree with it.    Whatever I may think of Mr. Phillips,  he doesn't deserve to be put through the wringer again.  Tell him what he can and cannot do, and let him move forward with his life and his business.
Just lawyers feeding lawyers.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2019, 03:11:12 am »
Just lawyers feeding lawyers.
A lawyer that creates situations that they turn into lawsuits do not meet the standards of the profession.

Isn't that like a doctor who infects people with a disease so he can treat them?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2019, 06:10:43 am »
A lawyer that creates situations that they turn into lawsuits do not meet the standards of the profession.

Isn't that like a doctor who infects people with a disease so he can treat them?
Both seem to happen a lot, out of incompetence or design. They might not collect directly, but they attend the same conventions, belong to the same organizations (within their profession). One hand washes the other.

Not saying all of either profession are the problem.

C S Lewis

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2019, 06:33:47 am »
Sanguine wrote:
"He's fighting the good fight.  I applaud and support him."

So do I.
But at some point one must know when to quit.

Fearless prediction:
Even if Mr. Phillips' case ends up all the way in the U.S. Supreme Court again, and even if he WINS, he's probably going to be sued and sued again.

And the leftist/democrat-communist state of Colorado is going to do nothing to help him.

"The good fight" is worth fighting so long as there's a chance of victory.

But when the only "victory" becomes Pyrrhic after wasting years of one's life and resources, it will no longer have been worth the struggle.

Again, I'll repeat:
Mr. Phillips should leave the state of Colorado for more favorable "territory", and set up shop there.

Life will be much easier.
@Fishrrman :amen:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 06:36:43 am »
But if he leaves...the Progressives accomplish what they set out to do.
And they can live in their shithole, "progressive" states or cities...just like LA currently is.  Eff 'em...sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.