Author Topic: John Dean Hopes to 'Show How Strikingly Like Watergate' the Trump Investigation Is  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

John Dean Hopes to 'Show How Strikingly Like Watergate' the Trump Investigation Is
CNS News, Jun 10, 2019

Watergate witness John Dean, answering the House Judiciary Committee's call to testify on this Monday, told CNN what he plans to say at the 2 p.m. hearing.

"What I'm going to try to do...I'm clearly not a fact witness, but I hope I can give them some context and show them how strikingly like Watergate what we're seeing now, and as reported in the Mueller report, is.

"So I've taken several examples from the Mueller report relating to obstruction of justice, which is their focus today, and looked at those and made the comparisons," Dean said Monday morning.

[...]

Too many are too similar," Dean said, "but the fact that Nixon was hands-on very early is just like Trump -- hands-on very early.

"The firing of Comey was certainly not dissimilar from some of the actions Nixon took. Nixon waded in and tried to influence the FBI investigation, as did Trump. So there are lots of comparisons," Dean said.

But one glaring area of difference between Nixon and Trump is that Nixon became aware, after the fact, of the Watergate burglary, the underlying crime that he tried to cover up.

The FBI opened its counterintelligence investigation into Donald Trump without a crime having been alleged.

More:  https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/john-dean-hopes-show-how-strikingly-watergate-trump-investigation

Does this senile jackass realize the only crimes committed were against the President and his team?   9999hair out0000

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
Will someone ask Dean what he knows about the underlying motivation for the burglary?

888mouth

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Hoodat

There is one striking difference here.  With Watergate, the ones who spied on a Presidential campaign actually went to prison.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline kidd

It's a tossup.
Which is the dumber democrat stunt?

1. John Kerry bringing James Taylor to France to sing "You've Got a Friend" to help smooth things over after a major diplomatic screw-up following a terror attack.

2. Bringing in John Dean to pretend its Watergate all over again. He has no evidence, no new information, no involvement. But he plans to draw some parallels.

3. Nancy Pelosi explaining how high unemployment and unemployment benefits are good for the economy. I'm not sure, but I think she used the term "funemployment"

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Does this senile jackass realize the only crimes committed were against the President and his team?   9999hair out0000

No kidding. The FBI sought to help Nixon, and sought to frame and topple Trump.

Does this doddering old fool impress abybody but partisan demoocrats, media and a handful of #nevertrump Republicans like Kristol, asich, Romney etc?

His career has been Big Zero since 1974. He is a lifetime loser.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online berdie

It's a tossup.
Which is the dumber democrat stunt?

1. John Kerry bringing James Taylor to France to sing "You've Got a Friend" to help smooth things over after a major diplomatic screw-up following a terror attack.

2. Bringing in John Dean to pretend its Watergate all over again. He has no evidence, no new information, no involvement. But he plans to draw some parallels.

3. Nancy Pelosi explaining how high unemployment and unemployment benefits are good for the economy. I'm not sure, but I think she used the term "funemployment"

Well, Alex...I can't answer this final Jeopardy question...so I must go home.

@kidd I have scratching my head trying to figure out what Dean can offer.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Will someone ask Dean what he knows about the underlying motivation for the burglary?

888mouth

LOL!   888high58888 888high58888
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Bill Cipher

So basically, the take-away from Dean is that because both Trump and Nixon were president, they’re exactly alike?

What a moron. 

Offline skeeter

So basically, the take-away from Dean is that because both Trump and Nixon were president, they’re exactly alike?

What a moron.

They both fired an FBI director.

To the left Watergate is the political version of Woodstock. They've spent fifty years trying to recapture the magic.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 11:49:02 pm by skeeter »

Bill Cipher

They both fired an FBI director.

To the left Watergate is the political version of Woodstock. They've spent fifty years trying to recapture the magic.

Ok. So they were both President and they both fired an FBI director.  Has Dean succeeded in finding any more parallels, maybe one that might actually be colorably relevant?

Offline skeeter

Ok. So they were both President and they both fired an FBI director.  Has Dean succeeded in finding any more parallels, maybe one that might actually be colorably relevant?

Given the details of each case it’s in no way relevant.

But leftists aren’t deep thinkers.

Offline truth_seeker

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 01:32:07 am by truth_seeker »

Republicans assail Dean’s record: 'How many presidents have you accused of being Richard Nixon?'
Washington Examiner, Jun 10,2019

Republican lawmakers on the House Judiciary Committee Monday attacked star witness John Dean’s credibility, citing his criminal record and history of attacking President Trump and other Republicans.

“Mr. Dean has made a cottage industry out of accusing presidents of acting like Richard Nixon,” Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., said.

Dean, the ex-White House counsel in President Richard Nixon's administration, was convicted of obstruction of justice after striking a deal to cooperate with the Watergate investigation. He has spent decades critical of the GOP and wrote a book in 2004 accusing President George H.W. Bush of acts “worse than Watergate.”

He frequently appears on CNN as a paid contributor, in which he's usually criticizing Trump.

[...]

But Republicans ridiculed his appearance.

“You are functionally here as a prop because they can’t impeach the president,” Gaetz said, referring to the public polling against impeachment and resistance from Speaker Nancy Pelosi to allow an impeachment inquiry.

Dean declined to tell Gaetz how much money he has earned through his GOP criticisms in books and on television. Dean said he didn’t know.

“It’s not by choice I’ve done a lot of this,” Dean said. “I’ve been dragged into this.”

More:  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/republicans-shred-deans-record-how-many-presidents-have-you-accused-of-being-richard-nixon

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Republicans assail Dean’s record: 'How many presidents have you accused of being Richard Nixon?'

Proud of Biggs (R-AZ) in that. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

John Dean, big hero in #nevertrump circles.

Birds of a feather.

Bill Cipher

Given the details of each case it’s in no way relevant.

But leftists aren’t deep thinkers.

Exactly

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist