Author Topic: NYT: Mexico Agreed to Take Border Actions Months Before Trump Announced Tariff Deal  (Read 852 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
By Michael D. Shear and Maggie Haberman

June 8, 2019

Leer en español

WASHINGTON — The deal to avert tariffs that President Trump announced with great fanfare on Friday night consists largely of actions that Mexico had already promised to take in prior discussions with the United States over the past several months, according to officials from both countries who are familiar with the negotiations.

Friday’s joint declaration says Mexico agreed to the “deployment of its National Guard throughout Mexico, giving priority to its southern border.” But the Mexican government had already pledged to do that in March during secret talks in Miami between Kirstjen Nielsen, then the secretary of homeland security, and Olga Sanchez, the Mexican secretary of the interior, the officials said.

The centerpiece of Mr. Trump’s deal was an expansion of a program to allow asylum-seekers to remain in Mexico while their legal cases proceed. But that arrangement was reached in December in a pair of painstakingly negotiated diplomatic notes that the two countries exchanged. Ms. Nielsen announced the Migrant Protection Protocols during a hearing of the House Judiciary Committee five days before Christmas.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/08/us/politics/trump-mexico-deal-tariffs.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Bill Cipher

Seems like a bit of sour grapes, possibly. 

Offline Applewood

Well, if it's the New York Times, it has to be fake news, ya know. 

Seriously, I'm thinking Trump's trade war and all his other threats ad posturing are all designed to impress and entertain his fans and to confound and upset his supposed enemies.   This a reality tv presidency where everything is pretend.  Trump is pretending to live up to his PR of a tough guy.  So he starts this [expletive], then he wiggles out of it.   Art of the Deal?  Hardly.  It's like his meetings with Putin and Kim,  A lot of fanfare and BS, but in the end, there is no real agreement and nothing is accomplished.  I guess his deadline was coming, so he and his negotiators had to come up with something.  So they rehashed old agreements, touted them as something new and presented Trump as a hero who adverted disaster at the last minute and made Mexico cave. 

Frankly, I have long been tired of this reality tv show and wish it were canceled.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Seriously, I'm thinking Trump's trade war and all his other threats ad posturing are all designed to impress and entertain his fans and to confound and upset his supposed enemies.   This a reality tv presidency where everything is pretend.  Trump is pretending to live up to his PR of a tough guy.  So he starts this [expletive], then he wiggles out of it.   Art of the Deal?  Hardly.  It's like his meetings with Putin and Kim,  A lot of fanfare and BS, but in the end, there is no real agreement and nothing is accomplished.  I guess his deadline was coming, so he and his negotiators had to come up with something.  So they rehashed old agreements, touted them as something new and presented Trump as a hero who adverted disaster at the last minute and made Mexico cave. 

Frankly, I have long been tired of this reality tv show and wish it were canceled.

Not suggesting that you would have ever voted for Clinton, but that was the option.  We could have had the Hillary and Bill show for the last 2+ years. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mexican Billionaire:

Carlos Slim

... As of 2016, he is the largest single shareholder of The New York Times Company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim

So, I don't care if this was negotiated months ago, why had it not been implemented yet?  And I don't doubt that they were able to but now,  the plan is in motion. Still, the article seems to make more questions than answers at that. If you are negotiating with a country, you could probably wait forever with some countries.

We've made a big investment in Mexico, some project down there for the benefit of Mexicans. We should get something back.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:50:11 pm by TomSea »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

Another false report in the Failing  @nytimes. We have been trying to get some of these Border Actions for a long time, as have other administrations, but were not able to get them, or get them in full, until our signed agreement with Mexico. Additionally, and for many years,....

.....Mexico was not being cooperative on the Border in things we had, or didn’t have, and now I have full confidence, especially after speaking to their President yesterday, that they will be very cooperative and want to get the job properly done. Importantly, some things.....

....not mentioned in yesterday press release, one in particular, were agreed upon. That will be announced at the appropriate time. There is now going to be great cooperation between Mexico & the USA, something that didn’t exist for decades. However, if for some unknown reason...

.....there is not, we can always go back to our previous, very profitable, position of Tariffs - But I don’t believe that will be necessary. The Failing @nytimes, & ratings challenged @CNN, will do anything possible to see our Country fail! They are truly The Enemy of the People!

5:26 AM - 9 Jun 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137697507218264064

Offline thackney

Remember, first president to be in the WWE Hall of Fame.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
When it’s a choice between a casual serial prevaricator and the media, who do you believe? If the byline didn’t include Haberman, it would be a tossup. She is generally well-sourced, however.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

When it’s a choice between a casual serial prevaricator and the media, who do you believe? If the byline didn’t include Haberman, it would be a tossup. She is generally well-sourced, however.

We'll never know for sure. Certainly the administration had been discussing all of these provisions with Mexico for months. The question is did the tariff threat bring things to a conclusion.

Apparently there was no signed agreement before a few days ago, so there's that.

Offline edpc

We'll never know for sure. Certainly the administration had been discussing all of these provisions with Mexico for months. The question is did the tariff threat bring things to a conclusion.

Apparently there was no signed agreement before a few days ago, so there's that.

It can be verified. Documentation of conversations and notes exist, somewhere. People no longer with the administration, like Kelly in Nielsen, would know. This has to be approved by their legislature. Similarly, we have an agreement for the USMCA, but it hasn’t been reviewed by our Congress, as of yet. So, they’re only meaningless agreements on paper, until approved and enacted.

Offline skeeter

It can be verified. Documentation of conversations and notes exist, somewhere. People no longer with the administration, like Kelly in Nielsen, would know. This has to be approved by their legislature. Similarly, we have an agreement for the USMCA, but it hasn’t been reviewed by our Congress, as of yet. So, they’re only meaningless agreements on paper, until approved and enacted.

What can be verified? That there was a formal agreement on these measures before last week? Or that the measures were under discussion? If there was an agreement I would ask the NYT why they didn't report it then.

Unless an agreement had been reached prior to Trump's threat a pretty good case is made it was his tariffs that were the motive force.

What congress does from now on is an entirely different matter.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:09:58 pm by skeeter »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What can be verified? That there was a formal agreement on these measures before last week? Or that the measures were under discussion? If there was an agreement I would ask the NYT why they didn't report it then.

Unless an agreement had been reached prior to Trump's threat a pretty good case is made it was his tariffs that were the motive force.

Yes, @edpc seems to be bolstering the claim that the threat of tariffs was the motivation.   They had been "negotiating" for a long time, with no conclusion.  Introduce tariffs and voilà! they come to the table with real (even if not nearly enough) changes.

Offline Hoodat

The question isn't about when Mexico agreed to take actions.  The question is when will President Trump take any actions.  We still have catch and release.  We still have free stuff for illegals.  When will that end?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline edpc

Whether these discussions have been going on for months can be verified. After all, that’s what Trump is calling ‘fake news.’  More than likely, there was progress on this, but he got impatient. Does this sound familiar?

"I want to do it faster. I could do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn't need to do this, but I'd rather do it much faster," Trump said during a press conference at the Rose Garden in the White House.

He’s not getting anywhere, using tariffs as leverage, with the Chinese. They are content to take the hit and wait it out, probably through 2020. I get the feeling this is a concocted crisis and ‘win,’ to make the overall strategy appear viable. He mentioned these deals that would’ve been hailed, had Obama made them. What deals? There is no nuclear deal with North Korea, no trade agreement with China, no Israeli/Palestinian peace plan, Iranian nuclear deal, and the USMCA has not been approved. He will not negotiate infrastructure, or other major legislation, while congressional investigations continue.  The deal is so great, one of the aspects is still ‘a secret.’ It’s a farce.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:34:32 pm by edpc »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The question isn't about when Mexico agreed to take actions.  The question is when will President Trump take any actions.  We still have catch and release.  We still have free stuff for illegals.  When will that end?

Yours may be the more important question, but it's not the question of this thread.   :laugh:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Who ya gonna believe?
The New York Times?
Or your own lyin' eyes?