Author Topic: Sen. Ron Johnson: Trump leveraged tariffs 'brilliantly' in gaining border deal  (Read 524 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Sen. Ron Johnson: Trump leveraged tariffs 'brilliantly' in gaining border deal
Washington Times, Jun 9, 2019, Valerie Richardson

Sen. Ron Johnson, Wisconsin Republican, said Sunday that President Trump negotiated “brilliantly” with Mexico by securing a border-security deal days after threatening to impose tariffs.

“In general, Republicans understand tariffs are attacks on American consumers, and we don’t want to see them in place long term, not do I believe President Trump does, either,” Mr. Johnson told “Fox News Sunday.” “He’s using tariffs as leverage in trade negotiations, and I think he used them as leverage in this situation brilliantly, quite honestly.”

Mr. Trump announced Friday he would suspend his threat of a tariff starting at 5 percent and rising as high as 25 percent after reaching an agreement with Mexico on border security.

That deal includes deploying 6,000 National Guard troops with a focus on its southern border to stem the tide of illegal immigrants crossing from Central America on their way to the United States, as well as expand a program keeping asylum-seekers in Mexico as they await the results of their cases.

Mr. Johnson, who chairs the Senate Homeland Security Committee, said he contacted the Mexican ambassador to the U.S. to underscore the seriousness of the president’s threat.

“I called the Mexican ambassador and said, ‘Regardless of what you read in the press, understand, if the president imposes tariffs, he’s dead serious about this,’” Mr. Johnson said. “There are not votes to override it, so take that threat very seriously. You know you have to do more.”

More:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/9/ron-johnson-donald-trump-leveraged-tariffs-brillia/

“I called the Mexican ambassador and said, ‘Regardless of what you read in the press, understand, if the president imposes tariffs, he’s dead serious about this,’” Mr. Johnson said. “There are not votes to override it, so take that threat very seriously. You know you have to do more.” 

Well done!   :patriot:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
It’s actually a terrible self owning.  The emergency declaration for the wall was made, because of the crisis on the border. If Mexico were to actually follow through on this agreement, it would negate the aforementioned declaration. By design, one or the other has to fail. Hardly brilliant, boxing yourself in.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

It’s actually a terrible self owning.  The emergency declaration for the wall was made, because of the crisis on the border. If Mexico were to actually follow through on this agreement, it would negate the aforementioned declaration. By design, one or the other has to fail. Hardly brilliant, boxing yourself in.

The goal is to end the crisis.  Moving the needle is this direction is not boxing yourself in.   *****rollingeyes*****

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:30:20 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online libertybele

As I mentioned in another thread, one of the issues that we need to 'win' on is to use leverage (tariffs?) to get Mexico to declare itself a safe third country for people fleeing Central America. In doing so, Central Americans arriving at the US-Mexico border would not be entitled to asylum hearings.  Something needs to be done to curb the open invitation into this country. All these people need to do is claim asylum and once granted are then eligible to apply for citizenship.  How is this discouraging people from coming here in any way?? 

This subject has been in negotiations and in the last round of talks, Mexico has still refused.  Though our President would have you believe that he accomplished something in the last round of talks ... it's nothing more than smoke and mirrors so that it appears he's actually made headway since the last talks.  In essence, he's threatened in negotiations again then back pedaled and buffaloed his supporters once again.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

The goal is to end the crisis.  Moving the needle is this direction is not boxing yourself in.   *****rollingeyes*****

Of course it is, but nobody expects a Trump sycophant <re-inserted> to understand. If they do what they said, there’s no need for an emergency declaration or a wall. That’s going to make some people unhappy. If they don’t abide by the deal, this agreement is a failure and hardly the brilliant leveraging, as advertised.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:36:26 pm by edpc »

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.

Of course it is, but nobody expects a sycophant to understand. If they do what they said, there’s no need for an emergency declaration or a wall. That’s going to make some people unhappy. If they don’t abide by the deal, this agreement is a failure and hardly the brilliant leveraging, as advertised.

Wouldn't the best political outcome for POTUS be Mexico not abiding by the deal?
Then, he could say that he exhausted all diplomatic avenues and we really need a wall.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Wouldn't the best political outcome for POTUS be Mexico not abiding by the deal?
Then, he could say that he exhausted all diplomatic avenues and we really need a wall.

Hey @FeelNoPain glad to see you back!

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline bilo

This doesn't make sense. Just because the waves of illegals slow, or even stop, doesn't mean the prior declaration is void. Funds have been identified to build with and construction has begun. It will be the POTUS who will declare there is no longer an emergency. I think it's safe to say that will be when the wall is finished.

Trump is beginning to make real progress. We should recognize it and support him for it instead of twisting ourselves in knots trying to say he's failing.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online libertybele

[quote author=bilo link=topic=364631.msg1987382#msg1987382 date=1560122340
This doesn't make sense. Just because the waves of illegals slow, or even stop, doesn't mean the prior declaration is void. Funds have been identified to build with and construction has begun. It will be the POTUS who will declare there is no longer an emergency. I think it's safe to say that will be when the wall is finished.

Trump is beginning to make real progress. We should recognize it and support him for it instead of twisting ourselves in knots trying to say he's failing.
[/quote]

I applaud the tenacity of the Pentagon in finding $$ for additional wall.  It is unfortunate that Trump signed a bill allowing states to opt out of a barrier which means that the wall will never be fully completed, even IF all funding was made available.

I must have missed it.  I didn't know that the invasion was slowing...quite the opposite...100,000+/month still coming through.  Did he announce a way to stop those still coming in from 50 different countries??  Last I knew he announced Mexico was now keeping some on their side for asylum processing.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

[quote author=FeelNoPain link=topic=364631.msg1987358#msg1987358 date=1560120100
[/quote]

Not actually.  Pelosi, Schumer and others have made it abundantly clear that Trump will not get his wall. Their hate for Trump is greater than love of country ... beside those being granted asylum represent future DEM voters which is what they've wanted all along.

Offline edpc

This doesn't make sense. Just because the waves of illegals slow, or even stop, doesn't mean the prior declaration is void.

Having the activity slow or stop pretty much defines whether it’s an emergency. It’s fine. I don’t really expect anything to have meaning anymore, in the Trump era.

Online libertybele

Brilliant border deal?? Trying to discern what is so brilliant about it?  It simply has people waiting for asylum in Mexico for processing.  So far no plans for Mexico to declare that they are a safe country.  No plans to stop the incentives for people to come here in the first place.  No plans on shutting down the borderband not allowing anymore migration or asylum.

Sounds like a swell plan!  I didn't realize that the Mexico government had such adequate borders and border patrol!  So comforting, indeed!