Author Topic: Mexico Is an Asylum Free-Rider  (Read 204 times)

rangerrebew

Mexico Is an Asylum Free-Rider
« on: June 09, 2019, 03:01:04 pm »
Mexico Is an Asylum Free-Rider
It embraces an expansive definition of asylum, then passes the buck by waving asylum-seekers northward.

By Mark Krikorian on June 5, 2019

President Trump’s threat to impose tariffs on Mexican goods starting next week may or may not get Mexico to be more cooperative in preventing third-country “asylum-seekers” from passing through on the way to our border. I’m not too concerned about the costs that such a tariff would impose on U.S. businesses and consumers (which would be real), because the costs would be worth it if the tactic were actually to work. I’m skeptical it will, since Mexico always has a chip on its shoulder with regard to us. But recent signs suggest I might be pleasantly surprised. Here’s hoping.

Perhaps more important than the means, however, are the desired ends. During a call with reporterslast week, acting DHS secretary Kevin McAleenan laid out three specific steps the administration wants Mexico to take. First is tightening security on Mexico’s border with Guatemala and chokepoints in southern Mexico (such as the Isthmus of Tehuantepec). Second is targeting the smuggling organizations; as McAleenan said, “The logistical effort to move 100,000 people through a country every four weeks is immense. This is noticeable.”

https://cis.org/Krikorian/Mexico-Asylum-FreeRider