Author Topic: Drawing the Right Lessons From D-Day  (Read 200 times)

rangerrebew

Drawing the Right Lessons From D-Day
« on: June 09, 2019, 10:59:03 am »

Drawing the Right Lessons From D-Day
By John L. Chapman
June 08, 2019

This week marked the 75th anniversary of D-Day, rightly commemorated as the largest seaborne invasion and most expansive combined sea-air-land operation in the history of kinetic conflict. Given advancements in the technology of combat and evolving geopolitical developments, it is likely that the magnitude and complexity of this invasion will never be equaled in the annals of human warfare, though it will forever be studied for its lessons in military and naval logistics and strategy.

The memorialization of D-Day has conferred upon June 6th a special place in American history and even pop culture and has generated a veritable cottage industry of books, articles and films. Little wonder then that this week the chattering class hordes from big U.S. media outlets descended upon France, joining the politicians to offer their fevered intonations of what the day was all about – and, more importantly to them, what it means now. Self-anointed experts from Hollywood and the Beltway/Manhattan ruling class such as Joe Scarborough of MSNBC have filed reports all week as to how we should think of D-Day while echoing the pronouncement of historian Stephen Ambrose that D-Day was the climactic battle of World War II.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2019/06/08/drawing_the_right_lessons_from_d-day_114488.html

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Drawing the Right Lessons From D-Day
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 01:45:33 pm »
John L. Chapman is a personal friend of mine and a very accomplished fellow. He is and Economist and graduate of the Harvard business school who has worked for Hill & Cutler for some time now. He is also a fairly prolific writer and some of his recent works can be found Here.  We very much agree on matters of economics but not so much WRT the subject of this particular article.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien