Author Topic: Mexico Never Agreed to Farm Deal With U.S., Contradicting Trump  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-08/mexico-never-agreed-to-farm-deal-with-u-s-contradicting-trump

President Donald Trump boasted of “large” agricultural sales to Mexico as part of a deal reached Friday on border security and illegal immigration that averted the threat of U.S. tariffs, but the deal as released had none, and three Mexican officials say they’re not aware of any side accord.

Trump told his 61 million Twitter followers in an all-caps message that Mexico had agreed to “immediately begin buying large quantities of agricultural product from our great patriot farmers.”

But the communique issued late Friday by the State Department -- the U.S.-Mexico Joint Declaration -- made no mention of agricultural trade as part of the agreement.

more at link...

MAGA fans will believe anything President Trump tweets

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Mexico Never Agreed to Farm Deal With U.S., Contradicting Trump
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 01:29:37 am »
Post up more Fake news.   We got all night.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 01:31:08 am »
Even the article says Mexico purchases large amounts of agricultural products, so why is this a contradiction?

Are you believing Mexico will no longer purchase these products?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 01:36:48 am »
Even the article says Mexico purchases large amounts of agricultural products, so why is this a contradiction?

I don't have time to guide you through basic reading comprehension.  Good luck.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 01:39:24 am »
I don't have time to guide you through basic reading comprehension.  Good luck.
you have never disappointed in snide comments rather than facts.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 01:42:33 am »

He is not only factless... he is feckless.  A double threat,

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 02:06:26 am »

I thought I might save you from a self-own and force you to read the article.  Clearly didn't work.

Increasing Mexico’s purchases from the U.S. wasn’t discussed during the three days of talks in Washington that led up to Friday’s agreement, said the three people with knowledge of the deliberations who weren’t authorized to speak publicly.

Mexico has no state-owned agricultural conglomerate to buy food products or handle distribution, or a government program that could buy farm equipment for delivery to producers.

Read it, then let me know what words you didn't understand.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 03:07:21 am »

The article says "Mexico" purchases large amounts of agricultural products, by which they almost certainly mean Mexican citizens and businesses, not the Mexican government.

Trump's tweet says that "Mexico" agreed to begin to purchase lots of ag products.  He could mean the Mex gov't agreed to buy them, which doesn't make a lot of sense.  He could mean the Mexican gov't agreed that their citizens would begin to buy more, which also makes no sense (what gov't could possibly think it could get away with forcing it's citizens to buy things???).   Therefore, I would conclude that, intentional or not, his tweet was off the mark.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 03:27:25 am »
The article says "Mexico" purchases large amounts of agricultural products, by which they almost certainly mean Mexican citizens and businesses, not the Mexican government.

Trump's tweet says that "Mexico" agreed to begin to purchase lots of ag products.  He could mean the Mex gov't agreed to buy them, which doesn't make a lot of sense.  He could mean the Mexican gov't agreed that their citizens would begin to buy more, which also makes no sense (what gov't could possibly think it could get away with forcing it's citizens to buy things???).   Therefore, I would conclude that, intentional or not, his tweet was off the mark.

Agreed.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 04:15:56 am »
     Mexico will pay the US Farmers for the Chinese Tariff War I started.  Good Times.   (tweet coming soon)
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 04:32:18 am »
Conditions and terms of the agreement have not been publicly released.
Suggest the usual ax grinders give it a rest, if possible, till then.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:47:29 pm by Absalom »

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 04:44:32 am »
Suggest the usual ax grinders give it a rest, if possible,  till then.

Perhaps the President should give it a rest before announcing policy by tweet.  Now they have to rush and make up some kind of deal to fit the tweet.

Offline corbe

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 04:47:24 am »
Suggest the usual ax grinders give it a rest, if possible,  till then.

Good thought @Absalom
   Shamefully, I'll admit that I've been trolling the Trumpers for hours here, to no avail.  I'll admit I could be losing my touch or perhaps Hannity was delayed tonight due to weather?    :shrug:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 10:27:17 pm »
I thought I might save you from a self-own and force you to read the article.  Clearly didn't work.

Read it, then let me know what words you didn't understand.
once again, your mistruths are exposed

CBS News backpedals after Mexican ambassador denies contradicting Trump

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/9/martha-barcena-mexican-ambassador-denies-cbs-news-/

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 11:13:23 pm »

I conclude that you may be correct:

Mexico remained the United States’ third largest agricultural partner in 2017. U.S. agricultural and related product exports totaled USD 19.5 billion and accounted for nearly 12.3 percent of total U.S. exports in the sector and 65 percent of Mexico’s total agricultural imports. The United States remains Mexico’s principal agricultural trading partner, receiving USD 25.5 billion, or almost 78 percent, of Mexico’s total agricultural exports. Overall U.S. market share in Mexico has remained high, as geographic advantages continue to make the United States the best supplier for most major agricultural goods.

-----

If the United States were to potentially withdraw from NAFTA, as mentioned several times by President Trump, U.S. agricultural exporters could potentially lose at least a portion of their market share in Canada and Mexico if the proposed USMCA does not enter into force. If the United States withdraws from NAFTA, U.S. agricultural exports to Canada and Mexico would likely face World Trade Organization (WTO) most-favored-nation tariffs—the highest rate a country applies to WTO member countries. These tariffs are much higher than the zero tariffs that U.S. exporters currently enjoy under NAFTA for most agricultural exports to Canada and Mexico.

https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/R45661.html

https://www.export.gov/article?id=Mexico-Agriculture

https://www.mda.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/inline-files/profilemexico.pdf

https://www.fas.usda.gov/regions/mexico

https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/IN10962.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:29:06 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 11:59:10 pm »
But the communique issued late Friday by the State Department -- the U.S.-Mexico Joint Declaration -- made no mention of agricultural trade as part of the agreement. 

Edited to read:  Never mind.  This is a Once-Ler "find".   

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:01:16 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 12:06:48 am »
Perhaps the President should give it a rest before announcing policy by tweet.  Now they have to rush and make up some kind of deal to fit the tweet.
Maybe you should give it a rest.  I know you have the right to remain silent. But i have seen you do not have the ability to  do so.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 12:38:37 am »
---------------------------
So for you, it ain't possible.
How predictable!!!

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 12:44:28 am »
Mexico....OR. left media is LYING!  LEFT,  LYING,  MEDIA HAS TO LIE!   DEEP STATE CONTROLLED. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 12:46:48 am »
WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?  WE RECEIVE ALL KIND OF PRODUCE & FRUITS FROM MEXICO! 
-----------------------------------------
Quote from: Once-Ler on June 08, 2019, 09:21:26 PM

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 12:49:04 am »
once again, your mistruths are exposed

CBS News backpedals after Mexican ambassador denies contradicting Trump

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/9/martha-barcena-mexican-ambassador-denies-cbs-news-/

..........  :thumbsup:

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 12:57:43 am »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-08/mexico-never-agreed-to-farm-deal-with-u-s-contradicting-trump

President Donald Trump boasted of “large” agricultural sales to Mexico as part of a deal reached Friday on border security and illegal immigration that averted the threat of U.S. tariffs, but the deal as released had none, and three Mexican officials say they’re not aware of any side accord.

Trump told his 61 million Twitter followers in an all-caps message that Mexico had agreed to “immediately begin buying large quantities of agricultural product from our great patriot farmers.”

more at link...

MAGA fans will believe anything President Trump tweets

It seems you have reading comprehension! 
OR WILLFUL LYING ON YOUR PART.

Martha Bárcena.
@Martha_Barcena
Replying to @FaceTheNation @realDonaldTrump

I did not contradict the president of the USA @realDonaldTrump .

I just explained that with no tariffs and the USMCA ratification the trade in agricultural products will increase dramatically. Mexico is already a big buyer of USA agricultural products and this trend will continue

8:47 AM - Jun 9, 2019
71 people are talking about this

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 02:03:03 am »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137329348409778177
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

MEXICO HAS AGREED TO IMMEDIATELY BEGIN BUYING LARGE QUANTITIES OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCT FROM OUR GREAT PATRIOT FARMERS!
5:03 AM - 8 Jun 2019

This is a lie, and those that believed it are fools

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 02:49:08 am »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137329348409778177
This is a lie, and those that believed it are fools

"Immediately begin buying" ... does that mean that they weren't buying before?   :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 01:50:16 pm »
It seems you have reading comprehension! 
OR WILLFUL LYING ON YOUR PART.

Martha Bárcena.
@Martha_Barcena
Replying to @FaceTheNation @realDonaldTrump

I did not contradict the president of the USA @realDonaldTrump .

I just explained that with no tariffs and the USMCA ratification the trade in agricultural products will increase dramatically. Mexico is already a big buyer of USA agricultural products and this trend will continue

8:47 AM - Jun 9, 2019
71 people are talking about this

Seems that this is contingent upon the USMCA being ratified. It hasn’t been. There are still some points of contention to be hammered out. Recently, some dumbass said there’d be no negotiations on legislation, while investigations continued.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.