Author Topic: I was a 6-year-old in a war zone. It felt safer than life in the mass shooting zone called America  (Read 524 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
From the Babylon Bee

BY NOAM HAYKEEN SPECIAL TO THE SACRAMENTO BEE
JUNE 08, 2019 07:01 AM

A disgruntled city employee opened fire at a municipal building in Virginia Beach on May 31, 2019, killing 11 people and wounding six others. BY
During the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah War, my family and I visited our friends in Kfar Vradim, a small village in northern Israel within close proximity to Lebanon where Hezbollah was situated. Throughout our visit, sirens routinely went off when a conflict broke out near the town. The alarms indicated that we needed to enter the bomb shelter.

I was petrified. I vividly recall hearing gunshots being fired from afar. It sounded as if 1,000 pistols were shot every minute.

I was a 6-year-old in a war zone. It felt far from ideal. But at least I had the bomb shelter as an escape – unlike the 12 people who were murdered and the several others who were injured in Virginia Beach 10 days ago.

Today, and every day, America’s children, women and men are in a constant war zone without shelters to protect them. At any point, without the warning of an alarm, we may find ourselves victims of a shooting in this country.
https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article231125888.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online goatprairie

As usual the author is being disingenous or outright falsifying.
 60% of gun deaths are by suicide.
 Another high percentage comes just from certain groups. Blacks killing other blacks accounts for about 33% of all deaths of homicides committed by guns.
Hispanics kill other Hispanics at a high rate as well.
Many homicides are committed by people who know the person they're killing.
I would bet the chances of somebody like the writer of this story getting shot to death by a stranger is pretty darn low.
But what's the point of being a liberal if you can't be hysterical and smudge the facts?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
From the Babylon Bee

BY NOAM HAYKEEN SPECIAL TO THE SACRAMENTO BEE
JUNE 08, 2019 07:01 AM

A disgruntled city employee opened fire at a municipal building in Virginia Beach on May 31, 2019, killing 11 people and wounding six others. BY
During the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah War, my family and I visited our friends in Kfar Vradim, a small village in northern Israel within close proximity to Lebanon where Hezbollah was situated. Throughout our visit, sirens routinely went off when a conflict broke out near the town. The alarms indicated that we needed to enter the bomb shelter.

I was petrified. I vividly recall hearing gunshots being fired from afar. It sounded as if 1,000 pistols were shot every minute.

I was a 6-year-old in a war zone. It felt far from ideal. But at least I had the bomb shelter as an escape – unlike the 12 people who were murdered and the several others who were injured in Virginia Beach 10 days ago.

Today, and every day, America’s children, women and men are in a constant war zone without shelters to protect them. At any point, without the warning of an alarm, we may find ourselves victims of a shooting in this country.
https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article231125888.html

A propaganda piece written and disguised as personal history and truth. If the left couldn't lie,they would never have anything to say.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
A propaganda piece written and disguised as personal history and truth. If the left couldn't lie,they would never have anything to say.
Unless he was a city employee, he wasn't in any danger. I don't get being hysterical because of something that happened elsewhere, appeared to have targeted a specific group in a specific location.

I don't lose sleep because Muslims are lobbing rockets at Israel, despite caring about the people who are targeted by and victims of that violence. No one is shooting rockets at my neighborhood, so I snore away.

If people have problems doing realistic risk assessment, they might get their panties in a wad, but for those of us who drink deeply from the font of reality, we understand that the odds of being caught up in one of these sort of incidents are really pretty slim--unless you are an assh*le and work with other people who might give someone cause (real or imagined) to feel that level of grievance. Problem is we don't know enough about the shooter to assess the risk of tripping his trigger, and not knowing anything about his motives makes a realistic assessment difficult, and pattern recognition nigh impossible.

Of course, that's what the anit gun faction in America wants, it's easier to panic people with things that make no sense.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:12:50 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis