Author Topic: VERDICT: Jury awards Gibson’s Bakery $11 million against Oberlin College  (Read 4725 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Oberlin saw a decrease in student enrollment immediately following this incident, and its bonds were downgraded by Moody's as well, so it is already in financial stress as it has been eating into its endowment for at least the last couple of years.

Let's hope this increases that angst.

Oberlin's Enrollment Headache Lingers
A smaller-than-expected freshman class is continuing to cause budget issues at the Ohio institution.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/12/12/oberlin-faces-budget-crunch-due-missed-enrollment-targets

Oh, that Dean of Students that has caused its financial demise is also under fire for discrimination for another lawsuit and remains in her seat at the college.

Get Woke, Go Broke: ‘Social Justice’ Agenda Leads Oberlin College Into Crisis

Sounds like another Mizzou in progress.  Cool.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Sounds like another Mizzou in progress.  Cool.

And Evergreen.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

And Evergreen.

Well, I guess we know they are "short" one Alumnus.  She went to the great IHOP in the sky....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Why does college cost so much now?

One reason would be awful management,  likethis.

Parents and students will put pressure on consts, sooner or later.

Too bad there is not a more visible alternative, in the form of conservative/libertariaan higher education, and internet presence.

There are hints of possible coming attractions. Online degrees with full accreditation, would be great (maybe already here)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Too bad there is not a more visible alternative, in the form of conservative/libertariaan higher education, and internet presence.

There are hints of possible coming attractions. Online degrees with full accreditation, would be great (maybe already here)

Politics trumps Education.  Businesses usually fail when they stray from the founding mission.  What's going on with colleges these days (cheating, politics, student debt) is poisoning them and they don't seem to care, the lust for the Left is more of a lure.  Despite their worry about their incoming Freshman class sizes they have no clue what's causing it because of the blinders they strapped on themselves, and that's pure politics.

On the flip side, VocEd is taking off...a growth industry.  High tuition is chasing the kids there from the 4-year Universities and Colleges.
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

There are certainly commendable institutions of higher learning out there, so not all are anti-conservative.

Here's an example of one (that as a bonus also has a great football team) that has moral principles

University gives back $21.5M from donor who urged Alabama boycott over abortion law
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,364432.0.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Oh-oh! Oberlin College’s insurance company says their policy doesn’t cover the huge verdict against it
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/06/ohoh_oberlin_colleges_insurance_company_says_their_policy_doesnt_cover_the_huge_verdict_against_them_.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Oh-oh! Oberlin College’s insurance company says their policy doesn’t cover the huge verdict against it
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/06/ohoh_oberlin_colleges_insurance_company_says_their_policy_doesnt_cover_the_huge_verdict_against_them_.html

Well ain't that just a damn shame.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

That would be Tango Foxtrot Bravo.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That would be Tango Foxtrot Bravo.

I think it's hilarious. 

Offline verga

Three words "Federal Student loans" The loans are guaranteed so consequently colleges could start charging outlandish prices for degrees that really did not provide students with employable skills.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Apparently the college has a few hundred Million in endowments.  Look for them to start drying up as the Alumni revolt.

@Cyber Liberty

What makes you think the people who CHOSE to go to school there and who are now proud Alumni would revolt? They might even double-down on their contributions.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Three words "Federal Student loans" The loans are guaranteed so consequently colleges could start charging outlandish prices for degrees that really did not provide students with employable skills.

That's exactly what it is.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

What makes you think the people who CHOSE to go to school there and who are now proud Alumni would revolt? They might even double-down on their contributions.

@sneakypete

I'd like to think the older folks went to an Oberlin that wasn't effed up, but then I realize that's a triumph of hope over experience.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Slide Rule

Na Na Na Na Hey Hey-ey Goodbye.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I am wondering if a judge can be found that will kick the award out as being too large in order to save the loons?

Is something like that even possible?

Or maybe Soros will come riding to the rescue and pay it off himself to keep his program to disarm America rolling?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
June 10, 2019
Oberlin College ignored the First Law of Holes responding to the jury verdict against it
By Thomas Lifson

Lack of respect for juries can be very, very costly. The landmark jury verdict awarding $11 million (with the possibility of triple damages to come) to members of the Gibson Family, owners of a 5-generation bakery boycotted and slandered by students with the encouragement of a College official, is looking to be as much about social class as it is about the excesses social justice warriors (SJWs). I write this, not to castigate the local folk who made up the jury and sympathized with the “townies” attacked by the “gowns” of Oberlin, but rather in recognition of what William A. Jacobson of Legal Insurrection, who owns this story, pointed out about Oberlin’s response to the verdict. It appears that Oberlin, a relatively wealthy and elite college, is so arrogant – full of hubris as Clarice Feldman pointed out yesterday – that it forgot (or never knew?) The First Law of Holes: “If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.”

Jacobson writes in part (read the whole thing):

…there is nothing more baffling than a statement sent to alumni after the verdict by Donica Thomas Varner, Oberlin College’s Vice President and General Counsel.

The statement was contained in a mass email sent to alumni (and possibly others) criticizing the jury verdict and repeating the same stale defenses that failed at trial (emphasis added):

Dear Members of the Oberlin Community:

I am writing to update you on the lawsuit that Gibson Bros., Inc. filed against Oberlin College and Vice President and Dean of Students Meredith Raimondo in the Lorain County Court of Common Pleas in November 2017.

Following a trial that spanned almost a full month, the jury found for the plaintiffs earlier today.

We are disappointed with the verdict and regret that the jury did not agree with the clear evidence our team presented.

Neither Oberlin College nor Dean Meredith Raimondo defamed a local business or its owners, and they never endorsed statements made by others. Rather, the College and Dr. Raimondo worked to ensure that students’ freedom of speech was protected and that the student demonstrations were safe and lawful, and they attempted to help the plaintiffs repair any harm caused by the student protests.

As we have stated, colleges cannot be held liable for the independent actions of their students. Institutions of higher education are obligated to protect freedom of speech on their campuses and respect their students’ decision to peacefully exercise their First Amendment rights. Oberlin College acted in accordance with these obligations.

While we are disappointed with the outcome, Oberlin College wishes to thank the members of the jury for their attention and dedication during this lengthy trial. They contributed a great deal of time and effort to this case, and we appreciate their commitment.

Our team will review the jury’s verdict and determine how to move forward.

Donica Thomas Varner
    Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/06/oberlin_college_ignored_the_first_law_of_holes_responding_to_the_jury_verdict_against_it.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
A classic case of "let them eat cake".

Bill Cipher

Let’s hope the judgment stands up on appeal. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
June 10, 2019
Oberlin College ignored the First Law of Holes responding to the jury verdict against it
By Thomas Lifson

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/06/oberlin_college_ignored_the_first_law_of_holes_responding_to_the_jury_verdict_against_it.html

Quote from: Article
The post-verdict email could be Exhibit A at the punitive damages hearing as to why the compensatory damages are not sufficient to send a message to Oberlin College and its administrators. Whether it will be an exhibit we’ll find out on Tuesday.

I think it will figure prominently, the attorneys for the Plaintiffs are not stupid.  The purpose of punitive damages is to prevent future offenses, and the email to the Alumni makes it clear they have learned nothing from the lawsuit.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Let’s hope the judgment stands up on appeal.

Me too.  The College seems bound and determined to make sure the Punitive is the full 2X.  their attorney(s) must be furious.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Me too.  The College seems bound and determined to make sure the Punitive is the full 2X.  their attorney(s) must be furious.

Only if they don't live in the same elitist bubble that the Oberliners do.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

The problem I imagine for the defense attorneys is that they've got a client that is very committed emotionally to the underlying cause, and one of the deans was directly accused of engaging in improper behavior herself.   Depending how well-liked/influential she is with other high-ranking people at the College, objectivity may have gone right out the window.

That's compounded by the reality that the General Counsel has been involved in this litigation almost from day one, which almost certainly included involvement in valuing the case for settlement.  I don't know exactly what was offered in settlement, but if it turns out that the GC had a major role in valuing the case, she might be in CYA mode by going public with the argument that the verdict was not warranted.  A stupid move legally, but that kind of thing can happen if you have people too interested in self-preservation.  You get a circle-jerk of "we didn't do anything wrong", and you're considered a traitor to the cause if you say otherwise.

Don't know how the insurance issue will turn out.   The motion to intervene by the insurance company to submit interrogatories for purposes of determining coverage was rejected by the court.  That may mean that the insurance company lacks the basis for denying coverage -- I really don't know, but the denial of that motion could be important.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:30:50 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@sneakypete

I am wondering if a judge can be found that will kick the award out as being too large in order to save the loons?

Is something like that even possible?

Yes, it is legally possible.  After the punitive damage award comes down, there will likely be some feelers sent out by one side or the other regarding potential settlement.  Defendants have a motivation to settle because they don't want to get whacked with the entire award.  Plaintiffs will want to get their money sooner, and won't want to risk having the verdict reversed or judgment reduced on post-trial motion and appeal.  There's also the issue of insurance.  If there is a coverage dispute, one way to resolve that is for the insurance company to agree to fund part of a settlement.  That puts more pressure on the defense to settle because paying only half of a $12M settlement is much better than potentially getting stuck with the entirety of a $33M award.

But I don't think there will be a settlement before punitive damages are determined and awarded.   There's just too many moving parts, and too much information the decision-makers will have to ingest before they'll be able to agree to a settlement.  Of course, they may not be able to agree at all, and it'll just go right on up on appeal.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:45:33 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The problem I imagine for the defense attorneys is that they've got a client that is very committed emotionally to the underlying cause, and one of the deans was directly accused of engaging in improper behavior herself.   Depending how well-liked/influential she is with other high-ranking people at the College, objectivity may have gone right out the window.

That's compounded by the reality that the General Counsel has been involved in this litigation almost from day one, which almost certainly included involvement in valuing the case for settlement.  I don't know exactly what was offered in settlement, but if it turns out that the GC had a major role in valuing the case, she might be in CYA mode by going public with the argument that the verdict was not warranted.  A stupid move legally, but that kind of thing can happen if you have people too interested in self-preservation.  You get a circle-jerk of "we didn't do anything wrong", and you're considered a traitor to the cause if you say otherwise.

Don't know how the insurance issue will turn out.   The motion to intervene by the insurance company to submit interrogatories for purposes of determining coverage was rejected by the court.  That may mean that the insurance company lacks the basis for denying coverage -- I really don't know, but the denial of that motion could be important.

I didn't know the motion was denied.  I'm glad in a way, because if the insurance company is forced to pay, risk analysis by all the insurance companies will cause the premiums to skyrocket for all colleges.  Win-win!

Letting leftist ideology control policies should be painful.
I will NOT comply.